Issues with new 2012 Ford Focus - Page 19 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-01-2011, 11:14 AM   #181
DaeGoesFast
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 89413
What I Drive: 2000 Silver Celica

FF Reputation: 1 DaeGoesFast Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thwar View Post
Hello everyone, I picked up my 2012 White Titanium Focus on Aug 18th and it is my favorite car to date that I have driven
How do you like the color? I can't decide is it's worth the extra money or not. Any pics?
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2011, 11:31 AM   #182
Montana
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89448
What I Drive: 2012 Candy Blue Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 Montana Good Standing Member
Dropped the Focus off this morning for the shuddering issue, Only way anything is going to get fixed is to let them know this thing has issues. Mine get's worse the hotter it get's. Anyway will see what they have to say later this afternoon and I will bring my rubber boots as this should be good.

Montana
Old 09-01-2011, 12:07 PM   #183
thwar
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 89248
What I Drive: 2012 White Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 thwar Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaeGoesFast View Post
How do you like the color? I can't decide is it's worth the extra money or not. Any pics?
The color is nice when it is clean. Dirt attacts to it really easily. Maybe a good wax job will fix that. When it rains, the dirt that normally accumulates on the windshield and roof is deposited on the hatch and rear bumper. I live in a wooded area, so tree debris, leaves, needles, flowers and other things cause dirt stains, but it washes off easily. I have no problem washing my car every other day or once a week.

I don't have a picture on me, I can PM you one when I pick my car up from the dealership tonight or tomorrow.
Old 09-01-2011, 03:11 PM   #184
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

Points 3,155, Level 34
Points: 3,155, Level: 34 Points: 3,155, Level: 34 Points: 3,155, Level: 34
Level Up 70% Completed
Level up: 70% Level up: 70% Level up: 70%
Forum Activity 18%
Activity: 18% Activity: 18% Activity: 18%
FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by serathe View Post
The service tech would only show me the notice about it being a break in thing. I believe this is more severe than that. If ford is going to tell me that's normal - I'm sorry I have no interest in the car.
Hi serathe,

Without knowing the severity of the shuddering you experienced, it is difficult to guess the reason it was occurring. You may find it helpful to know that some PowerShift issues were software related, and we have made updates to improve the shift timing, especially on deceleration and feel. I do hope you reconsider getting a Focus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana View Post
Dropped the Focus off this morning for the shuddering issue, Only way anything is going to get fixed is to let them know this thing has issues.
Hello Montana,

Bringing your Focus to the dealer was the perfect first step in resolving your concerns. Please keep me updated on what your dealer advises. Talk with you later!

~Natasha

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordServiceUS facebook.com/FordFocus

M - F 11 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET | Send a PM? Pls allow 2 business days for reply
Old 09-01-2011, 03:55 PM   #185
Montana
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCustomerService View Post
Hello Montana,

Bringing your Focus to the dealer was the perfect first step in resolving your concerns. Please keep me updated on what your dealer advises. Talk with you later!

~Natasha
Hi Natasha,

I got a call back from the dealer and they said the problem should diminish as time goes on. In my situation it really doesn't do it when cold so I didn't notice it on my test drive and nothing was said by anyone pertaining to this issue prior or during the test drive. I guess I should have checked here first as it would have changed my mind about purchasing this vehicle. Darn shame when you think about it that a engineer designed a shudder problem into the transmission.

I have driven many manual transmission vehicles all the way up to big rigs and the only time I ever had a shudder problem with them is when the disc was warped or the marcel was sacked. I have a 95 Chevy Cavalier that has 140,000 miles on it and the clutch is still working great with no shudder (chatter). I have never heard of having to break a clutch in and IMO it is just a line of crap that Ford is feeding us. I have been a mechanic for over 30 years and never once when I changed a clutch in a vehicle did it chatter out the driveway or have I ever received a complaint from the owners.

Montana
Old 09-01-2011, 04:54 PM   #186
Grinder
Banned

Fan#: 85627
What I Drive: 2003 CD silver SVT

FF Reputation: 10 Grinder Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana View Post
Hi Natasha,

I got a call back from the dealer and they said the problem should diminish as time goes on. In my situation it really doesn't do it when cold so I didn't notice it on my test drive and nothing was said by anyone pertaining to this issue prior or during the test drive. I guess I should have checked here first as it would have changed my mind about purchasing this vehicle. Darn shame when you think about it that a engineer designed a shudder problem into the transmission.

I have driven many manual transmission vehicles all the way up to big rigs and the only time I ever had a shudder problem with them is when the disc was warped or the marcel was sacked. I have a 95 Chevy Cavalier that has 140,000 miles on it and the clutch is still working great with no shudder (chatter). I have never heard of having to break a clutch in and IMO it is just a line of crap that Ford is feeding us. I have been a mechanic for over 30 years and never once when I changed a clutch in a vehicle did it chatter out the driveway or have I ever received a complaint from the owners.

Montana
You have a right to be upset, unsatisfied and disappointed about the way your car chatters if it really is as bad as you say. But I've been a tech for a fraction of your 30 year tenure and it's well known to both myself and the hundreds of technicians I've had the luxury of working with that new clutch assemblies chatter on takeoff.
As an experienced mechanic you certainly know that all-new brake friction surfaces may grind or squeek before they develop a mating wear pattern, right? I know it's not necessary to brandish brakes every time they are replaced but in some cases - it is required and it is accepted as a business practice.

As an experienced tech you should also understand the similarities between a clutch assemby and a disk brake. If you accept the likelihood of new brakes making noise until brandished you'd look foolish if you didn't accept the same from a clutch.

That being said - its a new car. It shouldn't happen and Ford bears the burden of angry customers and whatever resources are needed to resolve this issue. I'd just suggest you consider the fact that nobody INTENTIONALLY designed this chatter into your car and just because it didn't happen to you in 30 years doesn't mean it can't happen.
Old 09-01-2011, 07:03 PM   #187
Nichole
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 89311
What I Drive: 2012 Black SE Hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 Nichole Good Standing Member
I've already put 10,000 miles on my 2012 SE Focus and it's going into the shop for the third time to have the shudder repaired. When stopped and easing off the break, the car violently shakes. At first I thought breaking it in would remedy the problem, but 10,000 miles later the problem it persists. Not to mention the fact that the ford dealer I am dealing with was completely rude and told me to take it back to the dealer I bought the vehicle from. Seriously considering the lemon law on this car.
Old 09-01-2011, 07:54 PM   #188
Montana
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinder View Post
You have a right to be upset, unsatisfied and disappointed about the way your car chatters if it really is as bad as you say. But I've been a tech for a fraction of your 30 year tenure and it's well known to both myself and the hundreds of technicians I've had the luxury of working with that new clutch assemblies chatter on takeoff.
As an experienced mechanic you certainly know that all-new brake friction surfaces may grind or squeek before they develop a mating wear pattern, right? I know it's not necessary to brandish brakes every time they are replaced but in some cases - it is required and it is accepted as a business practice.

As an experienced tech you should also understand the similarities between a clutch assemby and a disk brake. If you accept the likelihood of new brakes making noise until brandished you'd look foolish if you didn't accept the same from a clutch.

That being said - its a new car. It shouldn't happen and Ford bears the burden of angry customers and whatever resources are needed to resolve this issue. I'd just suggest you consider the fact that nobody INTENTIONALLY designed this chatter into your car and just because it didn't happen to you in 30 years doesn't mean it can't happen.
Ok let's take this one at a time, In the letter from Ford it states that SOME of the vehicles MAY experience the shudder/shake on takeoff, If what you say is true shouldn't all of them do it? I have never experienced this before regardless if it was a clutch or brakes unless there is a issue.

How many brake jobs have you done where the owner of the vehicle drove out of the shop happy when their brakes are squealing/squeaky and they were just replaced. How many new cars have you driven with new brakes that squealed/squeaked off the lot during a test drive? How many people do you think actually bought those vehicles that squealed/squeaked? Yes some brakes require a bed in and that puts a thin film on the rotor to minimize any shudder from them. Depending on the pad manufacturer usually this involves some quick stops from about 60mph and only a few of them, Not come back in 1,000 miles if it still does it.

Clutch and Brake are both friction surfaces but I doubt they are the same compounds. There is alot of technology out there when dealing with friction surfaces and how they react when they are cold and hot. If what you say is true shouldn't I be getting a shudder and noise from my brakes right now being that the car only has 650 miles on it?

My question to you would be why is Ford saying SOME cars may experience this issue if it is normal? Wouldn't normal mean it happens to all of them or is that just a cop out on Ford's part? I have never worked at a dealership of any manufacture . If you owned your own shop and had 100 customers go out the door with these issue's I can guarantee you will have the BBB coming down on you as well as the BAR.

IMO Ford could have:

(1) Told the potential buyer that this issue may exist.

(2) Done some research and selected a different material that would not have these issues. With all the friction technology out there I am sure there is something that would work better (But then the green stuff rears it's head and the material is purchased by low bid). Is that why some do it and some don't? Did they get the material's from different sources and that is why they say SOME?

I don't know if you are a dealer tech or not but I am looking at this from a business owner perspective and what harm would come my way if I let things like this go, If you are a dealer tech you have no responsibility to make it correct for the owner of the vehicle, If you are in your own business you have to realize that the customers that come through your door are the ones keeping food on your table.

EDIT: I don't know if this has a basket type clutch or one more similar to the older style clutch but imagine what is happening to the splines of either when they chatter, If you can feel it through the car it has to be doing some damage to the internals. Will it hold together for the duration of the warranty remains to be seen. Gotta love it when the dealer asked if you bought the extended warranty, That right there should tell you something.

Montana

Last edited by Montana; 09-01-2011 at 11:29 PM.
Old 09-01-2011, 08:32 PM   #189
serathe
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 89418
What I Drive: 2012 Silver Nissan Versa SL 1.8 CVT

FF Reputation: 1 serathe Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinder View Post
There very well may be an issue with your transmission and the dealer's technician should extend enough interest to test drive it and see for himself. But, part of the tech's job is to see if there are any known issues similar to your complaint before he just starts rip/tearing into the thing to look for a problem. Have you tried to call (or visit) the dealer and mention that your issues are more severe than those listed in the bulletin?

Furthermore, if the dealer really just doesn't handle your concerns appropriately - it isn't Ford that isn't interested in helping you. It's the dealer.
Oh, it's not my transmission. I didn't buy the car. We have a wonderful dealer, though I do agree i think the service manager was lazy for not going for a ride with me like the salesman wanted.

The salesman took it out and tested it, found the same thing. Since the transmission guy was busy I was out of luck.

My main point is anyone with this car and transmission issues that goes to get it checked out is going to be referred to that TSB.

I'm going to check out a focus that's a later production number to see if it has the same issue. But I still don't think I'll buy this years model. I think some of the issues like mentioned earlier is computer tweaks. But I don't have the time and energy to fight with the service techs about it. Hopefully it will get straightened out next year.

Either way, I think Ford needs to do a better job in the future. I'm very pleased with my Ford salesman and would like him to make a commission off us in the future.
Old 09-01-2011, 11:24 PM   #190
brianrichman6
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 89477
What I Drive: 2012 aqua focus se

FF Reputation: 1 brianrichman6 Good Standing Member
slippin shutter

same fricking problem, drove off the lot and really did not think much of it but after 2 days it got annoying, and then as I drove out of my friends drive way to go home 50 miles and made it 100 yards and the engine light went on and the car felt like it was in neutral. scared the crap out of me, I could of been on the freeway. went back to my friends house called the dealer called roadside pick up, after hasseling with the dealers Ok and the roadside people to get the tow truck to pick me up they came, then I started the car and the whole dash lit up and the car didnt turn over at first and then it did, so I got towed and 3.5 hours later I got to the dealer 50 miles away, to much BS that I had to put up. today I talked to the Tech at the dealer and he told me Ford knows of the problem, so I asked him why are they selling these cars with a problem and why didn't anyone tell me about this when I bought the car, I would have not bought it if I had known. He said he couldnt fix it and thats the way it is and would correct itself after 1000 miles. I told him he could take his F in car and stick it up his A** and if he didnt fix it I would contact a Lawyer. He called me back in a few minutes and told me a Ford field Tech would be out next week, so now I have a Nissan rent a car and have to wait. I should of kept my Honda Fit 100,000 miles and no problems

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.