How many People with the SPI had a Valve Seat Failure? - Page 7 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus First Generation > SPI Performance (2000-2004)

SPI Performance (2000-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L Split Port Injection engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-07-2011, 12:10 PM   #61
FuhFuh Focus
Stuff about Florida

Fan#: 67230
What I Drive: 2002 Mazda Protegé ES

FF Reputation: 7 FuhFuh Focus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Mine just went at 121,000 miles. Seized the engine then proceeded to throw a rod once un-siezed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2011, 04:11 PM   #62
Fourmaki
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 85251
What I Drive: 2001 Ford F150

FF Reputation: 1 Fourmaki Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
As posted earlier I dropped valve seat #1 cylinder 120k miles. Scraped the piston, bent the rod, damaged the head. Then went on vacation for a wile.

Reworked the head, replaced all pistons, rings, rod bearings.and one rod. Other parts while I was in there. Timing belt, etc. gaskets you know the the drill. A little fussing with ISC ( idle sense control) needed removal and cleaning. I think from hose washing to remove any chunks of the valve seat.

All seams well did the brake in thing 30 to 50 MPH deal. All for about $800 bucks in parts and head shop cost. ( southern California dollars ) My hours, I really don't know I think with out removing the engine and working on my back in the street. Maybe 20 to 30 hours max. Mostly beer brakes.

There where a few fussy things, that bottom dam exhaust bracket. I still can't get the manifold to line up with the bracket on. And a strange bracket I think it goes around the fuel regulator. An IQ test I think. Or short term memory thing.

All in all was by the book. Daughter is running around town as I type this after I put 50 miles of no trouble operation.

Was fun in a strange way.
Old 08-14-2011, 09:24 PM   #63
Felker2007
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 87467
What I Drive: 2004 Ford F150

FF Reputation: 1 Felker2007 Good Standing Member
Failed on original owner @ 158k. Cylinder #3 was the culpret, I replaced the SPI with the 2.0 Ztech.
Old 08-27-2011, 12:25 AM   #64
death_bomber
Aggresive Not Crazy

Fan#: 39461
What I Drive: 2001 RED LX

FF Reputation: 6 death_bomber Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
i think i lost cylinder 3, @ 50k
Old 08-27-2011, 01:22 AM   #65
predator44
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 72292
What I Drive: 2005 st

FF Reputation: 1 predator44 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
dont know for sure yet but my gfs car 2000 spi w 120k cel on that brings up a code misfire on cyl #4 thinking it might just be coil?? gonna look tomorrow.
Old 08-28-2011, 12:08 AM   #66
Porter68
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 89293
What I Drive: 2001 Cobra

FF Reputation: 1 Porter68 Good Standing Member
The only reason I made an account on here is to let you know my experience with the 2.0 SOHC SPI engines. THEY ARE JUNK!!! They will blow up! Never buy a car with the SPI in it and if your car has the SPI you better sell it cause its going to blow! I bought a 2001 focus couple weeks ago that had this SPI engine. The engine was knocking so I got the car for a decent price. I go to the junkyard and get a used "good" engine for $1200. I end up doing the swap and the motor they sold me was junk. I took the engine back and they said they had another one that was "good". I decided to try this one and come to find out it was knocking. So then I decide to go to a different local junk yard to get yet my third used SPI engine. What do you know it was junk. I wasted many hours swapping out SPI engines. Im now selling the entire car to the junkyard and cutting my losses. ALL SPI's = JUNK!!!
Old 08-31-2011, 07:18 PM   #67
pyro
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 13836
What I Drive: 01 wagon spi

FF Reputation: 1 pyro Good Standing Member
What if you replace the head?

I have a spi with about 130,000km. I was thinking of changing the head to a reworked one....thought I seen them on ebay for $300ish. My engine JUST overheated so I guess now would be a good time! If the head is changed shouldn't the engine go for a long time?
Old 08-31-2011, 10:39 PM   #68
Porter68
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 89293
What I Drive: 2001 Cobra

FF Reputation: 1 Porter68 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyro View Post
I have a spi with about 130,000km. I was thinking of changing the head to a reworked one....thought I seen them on ebay for $300ish. My engine JUST overheated so I guess now would be a good time! If the head is changed shouldn't the engine go for a long time?
I would do that for sure. Dont take the risk of putting that original head back on there. It probably got warped when it overheated so that's another reason to change it. They are notorious for dropping valve seats so a reworked head should have the valve seats replaced and fix the problem. Good luck
Old 09-01-2011, 07:20 PM   #69
pyro
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 13836
What I Drive: 01 wagon spi

FF Reputation: 1 pyro Good Standing Member
Well the original head is still on and working fine ...for now.
Old 09-03-2011, 12:09 PM   #70
GraySurf
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 89460
What I Drive: 2004 Focus Sedan/ 1999 Crown Vic

FF Reputation: 1 GraySurf Good Standing Member
Hi, First post here. My wife and I just bought a 2004 Focus with the 2.0 spi. I Have read all through this thread and have not noticed anyone complaining of the valve seal dropping on an '04? I believe 2004 was the last year of the spi could ford maybe have installed updated heads in the 04 models? I am nervous about our Focus, It has 103k on it and it runs great but I cant afford a new engine if this time bomb blows. I might be going the route of buying a reworked head. I'm going to make some phone calls to my mechanic first.

Bookmarks & Social Networks