2012 Focus Custom Ram Air How-To - Page 4 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current)

DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current) The place to chat about any Duratec 2.0L Ti-VCT engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-25-2011, 02:20 AM   #31
Tony407
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85289
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray Hatch Titanium

FF Reputation: 4 Tony407 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Overall, a great project!!! And it sounds very nice. That microphone is almost as big as your car!

Now that you've had a chance to drive it awhile, I'm very interested in hearing how the throttle response is. The Focus is one heck of a slug off the line until you're up to 3k or 4k rpm. Has the intake made much of a difference in the initial responsiveness at low rpm?

Tony
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2011, 09:12 AM   #32
pra2veen
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86954
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE Hatch (Kona Blue)

FF Reputation: 1 pra2veen Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmission View Post
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6075/6075008082_4841e5a417_z.jpg

Oh, and a little custom vinyl-age.
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6064/...d26332cb_z.jpg
you should add these pics to the OP too. Looks great btw. I wish I had the patience to do all that :)
Old 08-25-2011, 10:57 AM   #33
newmission
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 84688
What I Drive: YB-MK3-MTX-SE-OG Sport-HB

FF Reputation: 5 newmission Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by pra2veen View Post
you should add these pics to the OP too. Looks great btw. I wish I had the patience to do all that :)
Good call! Done. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony407 View Post
Overall, a great project!!! And it sounds very nice. That microphone is almost as big as your car!

Now that you've had a chance to drive it awhile, I'm very interested in hearing how the throttle response is. The Focus is one heck of a slug off the line until you're up to 3k or 4k rpm. Has the intake made much of a difference in the initial responsiveness at low rpm?

Tony
lol The mic is a standard 1" diaphragm cardioid condenser studio mic. But may be big if you're not used to seeing one. :)

The audio the mic picked up was VERY bassy. I had to EQ it back just a bit to point out the details at WOT. Just noting that to point out this setup is very throaty. :) NO JDM :)

I have noticed right off the bat actually that the engine seems to run through out the RPM band more smoothly. Response is quicker certainly! And once you're up around 50mph and hit WOT it's taking in all the fresh air it can handle. I've scared myself a couple times just holding the throttle enjoying the pull. :) I have also jumped up about 5 mpg too. I was averaging 28.5, and now around 34.5 if I go easy. ;)
Hatch Nation #110
Debadge-and Drive Naked
Home of the Free Blacked Out Grille Mod, and Griffin Ram Air Mod.
Get you some!
Old 08-25-2011, 10:47 PM   #34
matthoma
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 88033
What I Drive: 2012 Ti Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 matthoma Good Standing Member
I'm loving this project! You pretty much have me convinced it's going to get done when I have some time.
Old 08-30-2011, 11:56 PM   #35
Elizabeth
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 89280
What I Drive: '14 Tangerine Scream ST3

Points 13,860, Level 76
Points: 13,860, Level: 76 Points: 13,860, Level: 76 Points: 13,860, Level: 76
Level Up 53% Completed
Level up: 53% Level up: 53% Level up: 53%
Forum Activity 15%
Activity: 15% Activity: 15% Activity: 15%
FF Reputation: 15 Elizabeth Great Standing Member
It is hard to know WHAT the airflow over the front of the 2012 Focus is.
The Nascar and other types use theose strange "V" like cuts INTO the body for air. NOT a hole in the front of the body. (and for a good reason.)
Now if you had a wide hood scoop and the airflow up over the hood went right at the scoop. yeah.
I had played with a hole in the front bumper on my SVT Contour, took OUT the driver side Fog light and stuck a gizmo there to add to the air pressurization of the fender well where the SVT intake sucked it's air from. Both ouside guiding in, and inside to 'bend' the airflow up (and remove water)

As nice as the cool looking mod is, no way to actually know if it does any good without some airflow tests. (mine either, i was just messing around...).
Sorry.

(I do have to agree the tube is narrow for the purpose..) Maybe a 4" inner diameter tube would be more effective, but then it would not fit?... The sides of the tube itself restrict flow at the boundary, and with that small of a circumference, ??
I plan on just getting the K&N filter for the intake.
Since i no longer plan on going 140mph.. (getting too old to fool around THAT much) The K&N should give me a better intake sound, and power? over the average.
i would have to look in the area the air is pulled in to see if any added air could be available to the air cleaner.. But not HOT AIR, or give a better sound.
((the HOT AIR is NOT meant as an insult, it really is just avoid the hot air in the engine compartment..honest.))
I had a V6 Mystique before the Contour SVT, and THAT car had a fantastic sound adding the Contour SVT intake to it. The cool moan of the intake (with a lot of throttle) could and DID scare pedestrians..LOL

Added; polishing the throttle body outer lip to a bell to avoid any lip or edge, and if the inner is not lined up perfectly , fix it to be so with no lip or protruding edge... could also do a lot to assist in making a little power. NOT the full inner surface, as it is coated to not get sticky. Only the very outer or inner 1./4 inch or so,
Line up those surface mating lines for perfect smooth flow.!

Last edited by Elizabeth; 08-31-2011 at 12:00 AM. Reason: addedinfo (noted)
Old 08-31-2011, 05:32 AM   #36
newmission
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth View Post
It is hard to know WHAT the airflow over the front of the 2012 Focus is.
The Nascar and other types use theose strange "V" like cuts INTO the body for air. NOT a hole in the front of the body. (and for a good reason.)
Now if you had a wide hood scoop and the airflow up over the hood went right at the scoop. yeah.
I had played with a hole in the front bumper on my SVT Contour, took OUT the driver side Fog light and stuck a gizmo there to add to the air pressurization of the fender well where the SVT intake sucked it's air from. Both ouside guiding in, and inside to 'bend' the airflow up (and remove water)

As nice as the cool looking mod is, no way to actually know if it does any good without some airflow tests. (mine either, i was just messing around...).
Sorry.

(I do have to agree the tube is narrow for the purpose..) Maybe a 4" inner diameter tube would be more effective, but then it would not fit?... The sides of the tube itself restrict flow at the boundary, and with that small of a circumference, ??
I plan on just getting the K&N filter for the intake.
Since i no longer plan on going 140mph.. (getting too old to fool around THAT much) The K&N should give me a better intake sound, and power? over the average.
i would have to look in the area the air is pulled in to see if any added air could be available to the air cleaner.. But not HOT AIR, or give a better sound.
((the HOT AIR is NOT meant as an insult, it really is just avoid the hot air in the engine compartment..honest.))
I had a V6 Mystique before the Contour SVT, and THAT car had a fantastic sound adding the Contour SVT intake to it. The cool moan of the intake (with a lot of throttle) could and DID scare pedestrians..LOL

Added; polishing the throttle body outer lip to a bell to avoid any lip or edge, and if the inner is not lined up perfectly , fix it to be so with no lip or protruding edge... could also do a lot to assist in making a little power. NOT the full inner surface, as it is coated to not get sticky. Only the very outer or inner 1./4 inch or so,
Line up those surface mating lines for perfect smooth flow.!
I have no idea what you just said. (in my best Napoleon Dynamite impression)

Not to be rude, but every post that I have read by you Elizabeth has been confusing. And so far this one takes the cake. First you brought up a good argument about the difference between a circle and slotted intake port. I have seen slotted intake ports on ram air of the new Cobra. But then you got lost in the woods talking about hot air and sound? We're catching cold air rushing at the front of the car, where is the hot air coming from? And if your argument is all performance minded, then who cares about sound? Start with a well designed intake first, sound is just a benefit.
Hatch Nation #110
Debadge-and Drive Naked
Get you some!
Old 08-31-2011, 05:37 AM   #37
Tony407
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85289
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray Hatch Titanium

FF Reputation: 4 Tony407 Good Standing Member
Quote:
And if your argument is all performance minded, then who cares about sound? Start with a well designed intake first, sound is just a benefit.
Not knowing what Elizabeth intended, but an intake for me is 75% for the sound and the other 25% is performance.

Tony
Old 08-31-2011, 10:31 AM   #38
CrazyDave
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86019
What I Drive: 07 Shelby Mustang GT, 2012 Focus

FF Reputation: 1 CrazyDave Good Standing Member
Not sure if this makes sense. Is there a way to channel some nice dense
cold air produced by the cars A/C into the intake?
That would boost performance for sure, I think. It sure makes a difference in
NHRA Pro Stock. Those carb cars perform much better in cool weather.
Old 08-31-2011, 10:32 AM   #39
Elizabeth
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 89280
What I Drive: '14 Tangerine Scream ST3

Points 13,860, Level 76
Points: 13,860, Level: 76 Points: 13,860, Level: 76 Points: 13,860, Level: 76
Level Up 53% Completed
Level up: 53% Level up: 53% Level up: 53%
Forum Activity 15%
Activity: 15% Activity: 15% Activity: 15%
FF Reputation: 15 Elizabeth Great Standing Member
Quote:
I have no idea what you just said. (in my best Napoleon Dynamite impression)

Not to be rude, but every post that I have read by you Elizabeth has been confusing. And so far this one takes the cake. First you brought up a good argument about the difference between a circle and slotted intake port. I have seen slotted intake ports on ram air of the new Cobra. But then you got lost in the woods talking about hot air and sound? We're catching cold air rushing at the front of the car, where is the hot air coming from? And if your argument is all performance minded, then who cares about sound? Start with a well designed intake first, sound is just a benefit.

Yes, the intent is 'to catch cold air rushing at the front of the car' but the reality may be very different. Wanting and wishing is not doing. that airflow may even be negative for all you know at the exact point this modified intake is located.
I just wanted to mention that very real possibility.
Just becuse you think it is in the front so the air will be pushed in, is not true.
It MIGHT be true, but you have zero way of knowing if so or not. Theair off the front end past the angled front may just as well be negative air pressure over the opening at speed.
Old 08-31-2011, 11:50 AM   #40
newmission
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth View Post
Yes, the intent is 'to catch cold air rushing at the front of the car' but the reality may be very different. Wanting and wishing is not doing. that airflow may even be negative for all you know at the exact point this modified intake is located.
I just wanted to mention that very real possibility.
Just becuse you think it is in the front so the air will be pushed in, is not true.
It MIGHT be true, but you have zero way of knowing if so or not. Theair off the front end past the angled front may just as well be negative air pressure over the opening at speed.
lol You have a very broken way of expressing your thoughts there Elizabeth. lol

However, from what I gather, you are trying to describe a venturi. lol If that is the case, your point would only be valid if the hose was on a perpendicular angle to the point of draw. And would require a "passing" air flow to that point. This is true with many cold air "intakes" that are located in the fender. They become cold air "sucks", as you pointed out.

I have very real proof that this intake is not "negative" by the rather large amount of bugs that gather in my pleats, air box, and on the front of the vehicle for that matter. This is the reason for the Outerwears pre-filter, of which FSWerks is now providing on their website. You're welcome FSWerks.

Any more questions? Physics class dismissed. lol
Hatch Nation #110
Debadge-and Drive Naked
Get you some!

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.