Speedometer Lighting - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-30-2011, 01:57 PM   #1
pkdog
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 89382
What I Drive: 2008 Red Corolla

FF Reputation: 1 pkdog Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Speedometer Lighting

I am about to order a Titanium but my pet peeve is having a speedometer that doesn't stand out in daytime. Does the speedometer on the Titanium have sufficient lighting that it is clearly visible in daytime?

Thanks --

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2011, 02:05 PM   #2
blackraven456
Focus Addict

Fan#: 88061
What I Drive: 2012 Black Focus Titanium Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 blackraven456 Good Standing Member
It's white with a blue dial....stood out fine to me. My only peeve is that you can't change the instrument lights to match the ambient lighting at night.
Old 08-30-2011, 02:23 PM   #3
feta_mgp
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88210
What I Drive: 2012 SGM Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 7 feta_mgp Good Standing Member
never had any issues with vision during the day, even with the sun in my eyes. the instrument panel is sufficiently covered to shade the gauges.
Sonic Crew #28
Old 08-30-2011, 02:31 PM   #4
Dgc333
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85422
What I Drive: 2012, candy blue, SEL

FF Reputation: 1 Dgc333 Good Standing Member
The back ground is black and the numbers, scale and pointer are back lite. I find it quite bright and visible day or night.
Old 08-30-2011, 02:50 PM   #5
pkdog
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 89382
What I Drive: 2008 Red Corolla

FF Reputation: 1 pkdog Good Standing Member
Sounds perfect, especially with back-lighting.

Thanks again --
Old 08-30-2011, 03:45 PM   #6
cobie56
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 84403
What I Drive: '01 ZX3, '14 Civic XL '12 SEL

FF Reputation: 2 cobie56 Good Standing Member
Imo ford did a poor job with the guages. They are not as well designed as they should be. Ford should consult vw to see how it should b done. Te binnacle should be rounder and higher as tall drivers have difficulty seeing it well. Also the guages should b angled up toward the driver more
Old 08-30-2011, 04:15 PM   #7
nateyo
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 88182
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 nateyo Good Standing Member
Visible, yes. Easy to read, not really. I like the gauge design but it's hard to glance down and realize exactly what speed you're doing when you first get the car. It's got some increments in BIG numbers and other in smaller ones and the km/h like almost inbetween so it's just kind of a pain sometimes. I've had the car for a week and a got a ticket yesterday doing 50 in a 35 (I'm coming from a 1996 stang with like no power and an automatic transmission, so that was part of the problem). It's surprisingly easy to go fast in this car and not realize it. Maybe that's just me, but yea it could be better.
Old 08-30-2011, 04:53 PM   #8
Elizabeth
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 89280
What I Drive: '12 Yellow Focus SE stick, 17"rims

FF Reputation: 14 Elizabeth Great Standing Member
One of the first things i noted with the 2012 Focus is the speedo is small.
The space it is in could accomodate a larger dial for the readout. The MPH numbers are small and then tiny. the k even MORE shrivelled up.. Poor Canucks!.. and it is a hard thing to read.
Then MY big gripe is the aluminum trim on the steering wheel reflects sunlight, so right where i want to see the speedo, just below is this bright flash blinding me some.. making it even harder to read the speedo numbers.
I got used to the twenty MPH gap in speedo numbers from driving my SVT Contour for 12 years. So I am rapidly adapting to the Focus speedo.
Just i agree they could have done a little adjusting of the setup (which is nice enough) to make it better.
I plan on killing the reflective steering wheel trim with some acrylic paint (so it will come off OK if i change my mind, or decide on some other way to lessen the reflectiveness of the steering wheel trim.)
My SVT speedo was white, the one issue is twilight. At which point the speedo was basically invisible. The white face and the green lit-up numbers were the same intensity. So one could read NOTHING. that was only at dusk or dawn.. Otherwise the white speedo with dark numbers in day, lit night, was great.
The Focus Tach is perfect. Too bad the Speedo MPH numbers are NOT as good.
The steering wheel in itself is great. all around good job, 'cept those pesky reflections off the trim.
Old 08-30-2011, 05:17 PM   #9
blackraven456
Focus Addict

Fan#: 88061
What I Drive: 2012 Black Focus Titanium Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 blackraven456 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth View Post
One of the first things i noted with the 2012 Focus is the speedo is small.
The space it is in could accomodate a larger dial for the readout. The MPH numbers are small and then tiny. the k even MORE shrivelled up.. Poor Canucks!.. and it is a hard thing to read.
Then MY big gripe is the aluminum trim on the steering wheel reflects sunlight, so right where i want to see the speedo, just below is this bright flash blinding me some.. making it even harder to read the speedo numbers.
I got used to the twenty MPH gap in speedo numbers from driving my SVT Contour for 12 years. So I am rapidly adapting to the Focus speedo.
Just i agree they could have done a little adjusting of the setup (which is nice enough) to make it better.
I plan on killing the reflective steering wheel trim with some acrylic paint (so it will come off OK if i change my mind, or decide on some other way to lessen the reflectiveness of the steering wheel trim.)
My SVT speedo was white, the one issue is twilight. At which point the speedo was basically invisible. The white face and the green lit-up numbers were the same intensity. So one could read NOTHING. that was only at dusk or dawn.. Otherwise the white speedo with dark numbers in day, lit night, was great.
The Focus Tach is perfect. Too bad the Speedo MPH numbers are NOT as good.
The steering wheel in itself is great. all around good job, 'cept those pesky reflections off the trim.
In canada the speedo is reversed, so that its the mph that is small ;-) also, the speedo looks bigger then my current car so im more then happy with it.

Sent from my SGH-T959D using FF Mobile
Old 08-30-2011, 05:17 PM   #10
willcraft
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 87281
What I Drive: 2012 White Plat Titanium Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 willcraft Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth View Post
O. The MPH numbers are small and then tiny. the k even MORE shrivelled up.. Poor Canucks!.. and it is a hard thing to read.
kph is the big one for us. They switch the two. mph is so tiny, even for my young eyes.

I've driven the car for 4 hours so far and I don't have any major complains about the speedo. I really like the lighting.
Build Date: Aug 2 | ETAs: Aug 13-27, 26, 28, 31
Arrival: Aug 25 (picked up Aug 29)

Bookmarks & Social Networks