Issues with new 2012 Ford Focus - Page 16 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-24-2011, 09:17 PM   #151
Guimpy
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 88333
What I Drive: 2012 Platinum White Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 Guimpy Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPopNC View Post
Good to hear Guimpy. The shudder in mine was getting a tad scary, especially when facing a hill and am still planning on taking it in to get serviced, but I put 89 octane in the tank yesterday and it's seemed to progressively get better. My driveway is pretty steep and that's been the biggest hurdle every morning, but today it zipped up there with very little shudder.

Just something to consider.
I'll try the higher octane on the next fill-up. Sounds interesting to see :)

Thank you JPopNC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2011, 09:19 PM   #152
sirhawkeye
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 83605
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE Ingot Silver HB

FF Reputation: 1 sirhawkeye Good Standing Member
And for those wondering about the shuttering in my car... it seems to have gone away. I think all it needed was a good reset (which the dealer did when they did the bearings--unplugged the battery--which I guess forces the PCM to relearn certain things pertaining to its shift / operating strategy).

Either way, it seems to run fine now...
Old 08-24-2011, 10:48 PM   #153
boscobuddy
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 87857
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 1 boscobuddy Good Standing Member
2012 Focus SEL items

I've had my 2012 Focus SEL for two months now, 2500 miles. Really like this car. It's had two issues that I post as a way to alert Ford and other owners.

1. "Bird chirping" noise coming from passenger rear wheel well. turned out to be a brake cable that needed to be adjusted and re-bolted, according to the dealership's service department. The chirping was constant and was triggered by all bumps, big or small. Very annoying and gladly the fix resolved the problem.

2. Jiggle/joggle noise coming from the passenger front wheel well. this one was very noticeable at about 15mph, on slight bumps, especially after coming out of a turn. Sounded like a pool ball rattling in a coffee mug. Service department says it was a bad strut. Car is still at the dealership after one full week, and still waiting on a replacement part. Service representative is not able to get the part delivered any faster. (Driving Kia Rio loaner/rental car in the mean time. Kind of a fun little ride: no frills; it's you, the road, an engine and some wheels, somewhat go-kart like.)

The questions I have to ask are: what's up with having two issues arise before 3000 miles, that have required two separate stays at the service department, is there a quality issue (why does a brand new strut go bad?), and why does it take a week to obtain a replacement part?

Ford, you're doing something right, though, because despite these annoyances, I am anxious to get the car back, wash the Kona blue exterior, hear the great stereo in the quiet interior, call someone using the hands-free myford sync, and drive around, not remembering the last time I filled up the tank.

To address the posts regarding a perceived sputter or what seems like a chug that might lead to a stall... I have noticed this in my car, but I don't find that it diminishes my confidence that the car will go; in fact, it reminds me of driving a manual transmission. I love the way the transmission stays in gear as you decelerate to a stop, and you hear the engine rev down. The transmission really feels like a manual in the way it behaves (minus the fun of a clutch and shifting). I find it invigorating. The new Consumer Reports accurately describes one aspect of the transmission as "stumbling" at low speeds; I have noticed this but it is not troublesome; again a bit like a manual transmission. Lastly, when you punch it on the highway, trying to accelerate quickly starting at say 50mph, it will hesitate a bit sometimes, then it takes off just fine. Perhaps it's searching for a gear, and perhaps it's still learning my driving patterns.
Old 08-25-2011, 10:17 AM   #154
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhawkeye View Post
Thanks to FordCustomerService for the reassurance. It's just in my previous two Foci that I owned, I never saw this in either of them. They were filled to the mark and stayed that way until I had them changed at 3000 both both of them. It's was just a concern for me, especially when the car's new.
Hi sirhawkeye,

That's what I'm here for, to ease your worries. Just let me know if your concern increases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boscobuddy View Post
I've had my 2012 Focus SEL for two months now, 2500 miles. Really like this car. It's had two issues that I post as a way to alert Ford and other owners.
Car is still at the dealership after one full week, and still waiting on a replacement part. Service representative is not able to get the part delivered any faster. (Driving Kia Rio loaner/rental car in the mean time. Kind of a fun little ride: no frills; it's you, the road, an engine and some wheels, somewhat go-kart like.)

The questions I have to ask are: what's up with having two issues arise before 3000 miles, that have required two separate stays at the service department, is there a quality issue (why does a brand new strut go bad?), and why does it take a week to obtain a replacement part?

Ford, you're doing something right, though, because despite these annoyances, I am anxious to get the car back, wash the Kona blue exterior, hear the great stereo in the quiet interior, call someone using the hands-free myford sync, and drive around, not remembering the last time I filled up the tank.
Hey boscobuddy,

So glad to hear of your enjoyment of the Focus! It is unfortunate when unexpected repairs arise on such a new vehicle. It is beneficial that your dealer has thoroughly diagnosed your issues, and is working to correct it. I want to see if anything can be done to expedite your part order. Please send me a private message with your VIN, contact information, mileage, and servicing dealer information, as well as the part numbers being replaced so I can assist.

~Natasha

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford
Old 08-25-2011, 09:03 PM   #155
Beepster
Banned

Fan#: 88947
What I Drive: Black 2012 Elantra GL

FF Reputation: 1 Beepster Good Standing Member
Another small annoying problem I got on my car (and that many also have),is the delay on the door lock button.You get out of your car,close the door and press the lock button on your remote,most of the time ,the car won't lock.But if you count 5 seconds,press again ,then it locks.

It may not sound like a big deal,but when you're in a hurry ,you kinda look like an idiot when you wait for your car to lock itself.Is it because of the perimeter alarm arming itself?Or it's just something they didn,t fixed yet?
Old 08-26-2011, 09:16 PM   #156
tajlucas

Fan#:
Unhappy Transmission is terrible

I've had my 2012 Focus Hatchback into the dealer 4 times already. Complete nightmare as I only have 1200 miles on the car. I am stuck filing for Texas's Lemon Law protection. The transmission is extremely rough... far worse then any car I have ever been in. At times driving down the freeway at a steady pace there is a sharp metal on metal sound, and the car down shifts with such force that I am thrown forward to the point where the seat belt locks engage.
The car is also overheating and after about 10 minutes of driving the AC cuts out. Despite all this, the dealership insists the car is "in normal operating conditions". This is by far the most frustrating purchase I have ever made. Ford customer service dismisses my claims outright, dealership told me the car was only worth $17,000 after only 400 miles and a purchase price of $23,000. Way to stand behind your product. Plan on losing $6000 if you drive this car off the lot.

I grew up in Detroit and hoped this car would finally be a reason to buy an american car. Sadly, it is a complete nightmare. Drives terrible, over heats, AC does not work and that's completely "normal"!

Be warned about the transmission. Mine is obviously very bad, but Ford techs say many people have been complaining. I get only 20 miles to the gallon on the highway with cruise on. Awful! My BMW M3 got 26!

100% Dissatisfied with my purchase. Even more dissatisfied with how my dealership handles the situation. Such a shame... this car SHOULD be good.

Old 08-26-2011, 10:11 PM   #157
Johnwillyson
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 87766
What I Drive: 2012 Silver Focus Titanium, Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 Johnwillyson Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by tajlucas View Post
I've had my 2012 Focus Hatchback into the dealer 4 times already. Complete nightmare as I only have 1200 miles on the car. I am stuck filing for Texas's Lemon Law protection. The transmission is extremely rough... far worse then any car I have ever been in.
PLEASE dont blame a crummy dealer on Ford! There are many known issues with the earlier built ones, and they have fixes! If your dealer is ignoring them, talk to Natasha! (FordCustomerService here on the forum)

Tell her your dealer is giving you the runaround and she can work wonders. The trasmission issues have been fixed for others, and theres no reason yours cant be properly fixed as well. It sounds like your dealer is trying to give you the runaround, when Natasha gets on their case I am positive their tune will change.

Unfortunately not all Dealers care about happy customers, but raw numbers.

PM Natasha here (FordCustomerService) with your VIN, Dealer information and your information and on Monday she will do her best. She has worked wonders for others, and you should also take advantage of it. Ford needs to know about dealers like this... they hurt loyal customers like you and give them a HORRIBLE image. Especially on one of the best cars they've made in many many years.
ETA Delivery: 8/8, Revised 8/17
Delivered 8/19
Old 08-27-2011, 11:55 AM   #158
dan burke
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 89275
What I Drive: 2012 Platinum White Titanium Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 dan burke Good Standing Member
Exclamation MyFord Touch loses Touch

I got my Titanium Hatch Aug 22 and the car sometimes "shudders" or "hesitates" when starting. I only have 400 kms on it so far.

Yesterday, the MyFord Touch screen "froze" / hung. The steering wheel mounted controls did not work. The CD that I was playing wouldn't turn off. I had to pull over and stop the engine - hoping that the system will re-set. It re-booted after a few minutes. I will have it checked by the Ford dealer.

Any similar experience with the MyFord Touch system?
Old 08-27-2011, 03:05 PM   #159
BigJay
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 88323
What I Drive: 2012 Focus hatch SEL, sonic blue

FF Reputation: 1 BigJay Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan burke View Post
I got my Titanium Hatch Aug 22 and the car sometimes "shudders" or "hesitates" when starting. I only have 400 kms on it so far.

Yesterday, the MyFord Touch screen "froze" / hung. The steering wheel mounted controls did not work. The CD that I was playing wouldn't turn off. I had to pull over and stop the engine - hoping that the system will re-set. It re-booted after a few minutes. I will have it checked by the Ford dealer.

read back a few pages, lots of people having those exact problems, the seems if the shuddering is minor it's normal but if it gets worse you should take it to the dealer as it may need re-programming. As for the MFT again read back some pages, there may be an update it needs?
Old 08-27-2011, 03:32 PM   #160
dan burke
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 89275
What I Drive: 2012 Platinum White Titanium Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 dan burke Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan burke View Post

Thanks, BigJay
If the MFT dies on me again or the shuddering gets worse, I'm on my way to the dealer!

Bookmarks & Social Networks