Highway Lane Drifting - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-24-2011, 08:29 PM   #1
davedcc2012
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 89179
What I Drive: 2012 Candy Red Met. HB SE

FF Reputation: 1 davedcc2012 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Smile Highway Lane Drifting

Wanted to add this to the technical side. Initial thread in the general forum. I have since realized that this issue is a known issue and will touch base with my dealer tomorrow to ask them about it.

We both really love our Focus as it is truely an out of the box vehicle for us. Love the Cardinal Red and sunroof.

Hooray! I'm glad to read that I'm not the only one suffering the problem of the power steering deciding on its own where it wants to go.

We have 2012 SE Hatchback, Auto. We currently have just over 2,200 miles on it. It was purchased in May. Unfortunately, we didn't get a test ride on the freeway when we bought it as it was rush hour. You would think that everything would be ok.

Long story short: Car was into the dealer 4 times in the first two weeks of ownership. Had TPMS problems with the Continentals that it came with. Tires weren't holding pressure all the time. We went through the Ford Customer Service to try and get resolution as the dealership had a change of ownership and couldn't seem to answer any of our questions. I insisted and had the Continentails swapped out to a set of Michelins. The GM took it upon himself to foot the bill for this. In checking with Discount Tire, it would have been about $600.00 for me to make the change. Alignment was corrected prior to the tire swap and checked again after the change. At least the Michelins are holding pressure.

I'm considering getting the air replaced with nitrogen. I also have a 2011 Chevy Equinox that that was done. It keeps the variance of temperature change down.

But back to the Focus. We're still getting the uncontrolled drifting. It doesn't seem to matter whether the highway surface is brand new or not. I usually drive with just one hand on the wheel, but it makes you want to use two hands most of the time. There will be stretches where it behaves just like it should and then go off on its own. We can not predict the conditions that cause this. I have asked whether there is any firmware or software updates. According to Ford Lincoln of Franklin in checking with the Ford Hot Line, we're up to date.

Vehicle had just come off the truck the same day as we purchased it. So we were the first to ever drive it. So I guess you have to wonder.

dave

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2011, 08:44 PM   #2
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

Points 27,115, Level 97
Points: 27,115, Level: 97 Points: 27,115, Level: 97 Points: 27,115, Level: 97
Level Up 77% Completed
Level up: 77% Level up: 77% Level up: 77%
Forum Activity 4%
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%
FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
We have a Ford Customer Service rep who will be around to help you during regular business hours. She makes dealers jump through hoops if needed. It sounds like you might be one of those who could use a little help due to ownership changes at your dealer. If there are other dealers in the area- you can take your car to them if you're dissatisfied with the current dealer.

We have a Forum dedicated to the 2012, owners, and discussions about that vehicle, but you are posted in the right section for your issue. Please check out this forum, and see if anyone else is experiencing the same issue for your peace of mind.

Third Generation Ford Focus (2012)

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 08-24-2011, 08:45 PM   #3
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

Points 27,115, Level 97
Points: 27,115, Level: 97 Points: 27,115, Level: 97 Points: 27,115, Level: 97
Level Up 77% Completed
Level up: 77% Level up: 77% Level up: 77%
Forum Activity 4%
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%
FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
HAH, I just saw you were in Thompson's Station---- I know where that is I lived in Franklin many moons ago. Welcome to FF!!!

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 08-25-2011, 11:09 AM   #4
davedcc2012
Focus Rookie

Stopped at the dealership (Ford Lincoln of Franklin) giving them copies of the posts this morning. They seemed unaware of any updates on the issue, but the Service Manager (Chris, new I might add) was going to look into it and has assured me that I would hear from him prior to the end of the day.

The purpose of the stop was to schedule a time to get this done as they don't have the parts and I mentioned that there was an updated part of the Steering Rack Assembly.

I hoping that this will be resolved this way.

dave
Old 08-25-2011, 11:31 AM   #5
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

Points 3,148, Level 34
Points: 3,148, Level: 34 Points: 3,148, Level: 34 Points: 3,148, Level: 34
Level Up 66% Completed
Level up: 66% Level up: 66% Level up: 66%
Forum Activity 15%
Activity: 15% Activity: 15% Activity: 15%
FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by davedcc2012 View Post
We both really love our Focus as it is truely an out of the box vehicle for us. Love the Cardinal Red and sunroof.

Hooray! I'm glad to read that I'm not the only one suffering the problem of the power steering deciding on its own where it wants to go.

We have 2012 SE Hatchback, Auto. We currently have just over 2,200 miles on it. It was purchased in May. Unfortunately, we didn't get a test ride on the freeway when we bought it as it was rush hour. You would think that everything would be ok.

Long story short: Car was into the dealer 4 times in the first two weeks of ownership. Had TPMS problems with the Continentals that it came with. Tires weren't holding pressure all the time. We went through the Ford Customer Service to try and get resolution as the dealership had a change of ownership and couldn't seem to answer any of our questions. I insisted and had the Continentails swapped out to a set of Michelins. The GM took it upon himself to foot the bill for this. In checking with Discount Tire, it would have been about $600.00 for me to make the change. Alignment was corrected prior to the tire swap and checked again after the change. At least the Michelins are holding pressure...
Hi dave,

I'm the Ford Customer Service rep whynotthinkwhynot mentioned. I'm so happy you love your Focus! It can be discouraging to still have concerns after so many dealer trips. Please PM me with your VIN, contact information, mileage, & servicing dealer name/state so I can help.

~Natasha

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordServiceUS facebook.com/FordFocus

M - F 11 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET | Send a PM? Pls allow 2 business days for reply
Old 08-25-2011, 03:06 PM   #6
mrtoby86
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 89110
What I Drive: 2003 Red SE

FF Reputation: 1 mrtoby86 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by whynotthinkwhynot View Post
HAH, I just saw you were in Thompson's Station---- I know where that is I lived in Franklin many moons ago. Welcome to FF!!!
That's pretty crazy. I'm in Spring Hill, just below Franklin and a little ways from Thompson Station! Small world haha
Old 08-25-2011, 07:47 PM   #7
davedcc2012
Focus Rookie

Received a call from Chris Robertson (Service Manager @ Ford Lincoln of Franklin) concerning our Focus. We're now scheduled to drop it off next Monday for replacement of the Steering Rack Assembly. Chris was aware of the updated part number and part should be in on Monday or Tuesday. He also wants to check out the symptoms both before and after. We're feeling pretty good about the situation now. We both still really love the vehicle. Further updates will be posted. Ford Lincoln of Franklin will be putting us into another vehicle to use while our Focus is being worked on. dave
Old 08-30-2011, 02:15 PM   #8
davedcc2012
Focus Rookie

I dropped our Focus off at the dealership yesterday. Was given a rental car to drive. I went over the postings with the Service Advisor (Jim Moran) to make sure of where I was coming from.

Jim called me this morning to advise me that they were going to order the part (Steering Rack Assembly - updated part number), but found that it is currently backordered from the factory. I was advised that the part should be to the warehouse this weekend, but was told that they're unsure of how long it will take to get it to the dealership. So its looking as if the end of next week or so.

Turned rental in and drving our Focus until the part comes in. So it looks like we're headed in the right direction.
Old 09-10-2011, 06:05 PM   #9
davedcc2012
Focus Rookie

Hooray! Our Focus is now a real gem to drive as the steering rack assembly was installed this past week. Both my wife and I love the sports car feel at highway speeds and the ability to just keep one hand on the wheel. A very positive feeling I might add. The new steering rack came in over the Labor Day Holiday weekend. Dealership called me on the following Tuesday to say that the part was in. Dropped it the same day. They ended up keeping it overnight. It was ready mid afternoon the next day. Both their tech and the shop manager took it out for a QC. I took it out for a 50 mile run the same day that I picked it for my own QC and reported back to them it looks as if "we got it". Problem solved.

I didn't want to post until my wife had a chance to drive it also. We went out for about a 75 mile run yesterday. Including I-40. Ran it to 80+ with no problems. Two lane roads, handling is excellent. So now that problem is behind us.

Window tint next, followed by nitrogen replacement for the tires. Maybe even some new wheels down the line.

We both just love the sporting look it has. And having the sunroof makes it a real treat now tht the weather is getting nicer here in the Nashville area.

Bookmarks & Social Networks