Issues with new 2012 Ford Focus - Page 13 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-20-2011, 08:10 AM   #121
DanteCaspian
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 57473
What I Drive: 2012, Platinum, Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 DanteCaspian Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
With less than 1200 KM and 30hrs drive time, I have:
1) a loose upper strut tower bearing on right side (makes a heck of a grinding and rumble when turning the wheel to the right, or returning from the right turn),
2) a defective PS rear speaker (rattles),
3) 'acceleration hesitation' (started about 2 days ago),
4) black screen (only one incident so far that I 'fixed' myself with the fuse pull).

Parts are on order and I am expecting to have all repaired by end of next week. The acceleration issue has not been reported to the service center as of yet as it started just after having them look at the other issues and honestly, I did not make the connection to it fully as an issue until reading some of this thread!

I am remaining optimistic at this point.... trying.

Last edited by DanteCaspian; 08-22-2011 at 04:23 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2011, 08:20 AM   #122
DanteCaspian
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 57473
What I Drive: 2012, Platinum, Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 DanteCaspian Good Standing Member
Where can I view .pdf versions of TSBs?
Old 08-20-2011, 12:19 PM   #123
BigJay
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 88323
What I Drive: 2012 Focus hatch SEL, sonic blue

FF Reputation: 1 BigJay Good Standing Member
I would also like to remind people that ford has sold a good number of focuses since it came out, when you search 2012 ford focus problems on google, this thread comes up, so people who are having problems will probly make it known here. Keeping in mind of course there's only a percentage of people who would come online and post as well, but i dont think the problems we're reading about are on every focus, there will always be an unlucky few with a new model, im just keeping my fingers crossed :) and happy i got a manual SEL without MFT :)
Old 08-20-2011, 07:33 PM   #124
sirhawkeye
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 83605
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE Ingot Silver HB

FF Reputation: 1 sirhawkeye Good Standing Member
Just thought I'd provide an update since i Just picked up my car... They got it fixed and the noise is gone. Had to replace the wheel bearings. Apparently there is (from what I was told) a TSB out there now relating to cars making the noise that I was experiencing, to replace or check the wheel bearings. Ford apparently now has a new provider/vendor for wheel bearings, so they used this new brand on my car. Needless to say, it took care of things and hopefully I can enjoy the car now (now that it's quiet and not making annoying noises). If you are experiencing a whining/moaning noise that is intermitant and varies with speed, have your dealer check your wheel bearings for possible damage or defect. That's what did it for me.

I will say this too, that my dealer went the extra step and just replaced both, even though Ford recommended finding out which bearing was bad. The tech told me that he didn't want to risk replacing the "wrong" bearing so he ate the cost of the extra bearing and just did both to be on the safe side, which I appreciate, so I don't have to worry about making a second trip bcak to the dealer in the event that the other bearing was bad. So, I appreciate that my dealer when the extra step to reduce the possibility that there will be a bearing issue again. Plus, they loaned me a car at no cost (because it was under warranty) which helped too since it was in the shop for over 2 weeks.
Old 08-20-2011, 07:35 PM   #125
Beepster
Banned

Fan#: 88947
What I Drive: Black 2012 Elantra GL

FF Reputation: 1 Beepster Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJay View Post
I would also like to remind people that ford has sold a good number of focuses since it came out, when you search 2012 ford focus problems on google, this thread comes up, so people who are having problems will probly make it known here. Keeping in mind of course there's only a percentage of people who would come online and post as well, but i dont think the problems we're reading about are on every focus, there will always be an unlucky few with a new model, im just keeping my fingers crossed :) and happy i got a manual SEL without MFT :)
You were lucky.My first choice was also an SEL with the manual tranny,but the dealership was charging more for it because they were estimating a two month delivery time and they were reducing the value of my trade in because of that(something I never seen before).Went to another dealership and pretty much got the same BS.Obviously the dealerships were told to sell more Powershift,so I checked the dealerships inventory and bought an SE with the sport package and powershift.In less than a day I discovered a vibration and noise issue on my car between 50 and 80 mph that the dealership and Ford still didn't sort out,and this was 7 weeks ago.Isolated problem or not ,enough people complained for Ford to release a TSB about the issue.And now I'm stuck with a worthless car until the engineers find a permanent solution.
Old 08-20-2011, 07:39 PM   #126
Beepster
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhawkeye View Post
Just thought I'd provide an update since i Just picked up my car... They got it fixed and the noise is gone. Had to replace the wheel bearings. Apparently there is (from what I was told) a TSB out there now relating to cars making the noise that I was experiencing, to replace or check the wheel bearings. Ford apparently now has a new provider/vendor for wheel bearings, so they used this new brand on my car. Needless to say, it took care of things and hopefully I can enjoy the car now (now that it's quiet and not making annoying noises). If you are experiencing a whining/moaning noise that is intermitant and varies with speed, have your dealer check your wheel bearings for possible damage or defect. That's what did it for me.

I will say this too, that my dealer went the extra step and just replaced both, even though Ford recommended finding out which bearing was bad. The tech told me that he didn't want to risk replacing the "wrong" bearing so he ate the cost of the extra bearing and just did both to be on the safe side, which I appreciate, so I don't have to worry about making a second trip bcak to the dealer in the event that the other bearing was bad. So, I appreciate that my dealer when the extra step to reduce the possibility that there will be a bearing issue again. Plus, they loaned me a car at no cost (because it was under warranty) which helped too since it was in the shop for over 2 weeks.
Good to know, I'll call the dealer on monday I got the same problem.They replaced the bearing on only one side.But again if they installed it on the wrong side and the wrong kind,this may explain why it didn't fix the issue.
Old 08-21-2011, 11:26 AM   #127
sirhawkeye
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beepster View Post
Good to know, I'll call the dealer on monday I got the same problem.They replaced the bearing on only one side.But again if they installed it on the wrong side and the wrong kind,this may explain why it didn't fix the issue.
But do note that my dealer went above and beyond what was required by Ford, and they did BOTH front bearings at no charge (dealer sucked up the extra $200 for the second bearing) just because he wanted to make sure it was done right the first time. What it was is that with Ford's help, the figured out it was a bearing in the front wheels, but didn't know which one, so he just went ahead and did both, even though Ford specifies to figure out which bearing it is and replace just the bad bearing.

I also feel better about this because I also have to identical bearings on the front end so hopefully as the car ages, they will wear evenly and at the same rate. But like I said, to do both was a choice by my dealer, but they should AT LEAST change the faulty bearing.

Let me know if you have any questions and I can maybe get you the answers if yo uned them. Please note though that it took them about a week to get the bearings for me, since at the time, Ford was changing suppliers (and that was about 1-2 weeks ago).
Old 08-21-2011, 11:44 AM   #128
Beepster
Banned

Quote:
But do note that my dealer went above and beyond what was required by Ford, and they did BOTH front bearings at no charge (dealer sucked up the extra $200 for the second bearing) just because he wanted to make sure it was done right the first time. What it was is that with Ford's help, the figured out it was a bearing in the front wheels, but didn't know which one, so he just went ahead and did both, even though Ford specifies to figure out which bearing it is and replace just the bad bearing.

I also feel better about this because I also have to identical bearings on the front end so hopefully as the car ages, they will wear evenly and at the same rate. But like I said, to do both was a choice by my dealer, but they should AT LEAST change the faulty bearing.

Let me know if you have any questions and I can maybe get you the answers if yo uned them. Please note though that it took them about a week to get the bearings for me, since at the time, Ford was changing suppliers (and that was about 1-2 weeks ago).
I'm not really worried about that.The dealership already replaced the driver side bearings(before Ford changed suppliers),the same side driveshaft and the entire transmission.They already replaced a lot of things for nothing ,so I'm pretty sure they won't mind changing all the bearings if that mean they won't see my pi...ed off face in their office again.It's been more than 7 weeks since I bought the car and got problems with it.After all the money they dumped in that car ,I don't think it's time to be cheap.The salesman was worried about his rating on the survey,considering how long it's taking to get a fully operationnal car,I think he should simply shut up and consider this a total write off.I just hope this will fix the problem once and for all.

Thanks for the update.
Old 08-21-2011, 07:54 PM   #129
sirhawkeye
Focus Enthusiast

The only issue I'm left with (and this may not even be an issue since the car only has 800 miles on it) is that every once in a while, it will shift funny when accelerating from a dead stop (from a stoplight/stop sign). But the majority of the time, it shifts fine. Maybe is't just me, or maybe some things still need to wear in a bit...

Prior to taking my car in, I told the dealer that I would give them a fair rating based on the level of service I received. Needless to say, I will be giving them a good rating for taking care of the bearing issue in a somewhat timely manner. I just hope my trans won't be needing a replacement like yours was. Hopefully the issues i see are just a matter of time for things to wear in. I actually haven't driven it a lot on the highway (at least not for any more than 50 miles at a time, so maybe it needs to be run at higher RPMs for a little while or just be flat out driven more. I'm going to wait until 1500-2000 miles, and if the problem doesn't go away, I'm going back to the dealer.
Old 08-22-2011, 11:22 AM   #130
Beepster
Banned

Quote:
The only issue I'm left with (and this may not even be an issue since the car only has 800 miles on it) is that every once in a while, it will shift funny when accelerating from a dead stop (from a stoplight/stop sign). But the majority of the time, it shifts fine. Maybe is't just me, or maybe some things still need to wear in a bit...

Prior to taking my car in, I told the dealer that I would give them a fair rating based on the level of service I received. Needless to say, I will be giving them a good rating for taking care of the bearing issue in a somewhat timely manner. I just hope my trans won't be needing a replacement like yours was. Hopefully the issues i see are just a matter of time for things to wear in. I actually haven't driven it a lot on the highway (at least not for any more than 50 miles at a time, so maybe it needs to be run at higher RPMs for a little while or just be flat out driven more. I'm going to wait until 1500-2000 miles, and if the problem doesn't go away, I'm going back to the dealer.
The dealership says that last TSB they got about the noise problem was :

SSM #.21985 2012 FOCUS DRONE/WARBLE NOISE WHILE DRIVING
SOME 2012 FOCUS MAY EXHIBIT A DRONE OR WARBLE NOISE OCCURRING AT 50-70 MPH. THIS NOISE MAY BE ORIGINATING AT THE FRONT WHEEL BEARINGS. RECOMMEND USING CHASSIS EARS TO ISOLATE THE NOISE. CONTINUE TO MONITOR OASIS FOR UPDATES.
EFFECTIVE DATE: 08/04/2011

Do you have the TSB number for the solution with the new bearings?

Bookmarks & Social Networks