Highway lane drifting - Page 13 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-12-2011, 11:01 PM   #121
Eurofordfan
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 87186
What I Drive: 1985 Moto Guzzi T5 850 NT

FF Reputation: 1 Eurofordfan Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Test Engineer: make sure you talk to the Service Foreman, not the service writer, and not the Service Manager. Not to diss the others -- but generally it is the (sometimes, partially) on-the-tools Service Foremen who know the most. Generally, this could be described as on-center EPAS (Electric Power Assisted Steering) inappropriate intervention and effectively "stiction", causing two-armed attempts as steering correction, and then subsequent over-action when resistance breaks away. Only happens after an extended period at highway speeds. Has been happening to fairly sizable contingent on 2012 Focus owners, but clearly not to all. Others have described this as a break-down in communication between actual steering rack position, versus indicated and transmitted steering rack position, where the EPAS then attempts to react to what it perceives is a requirement, and in fact, it is not. The EPAS ends up fighting the driver for control.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2011, 12:08 AM   #122
Test Engineer
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 88499
What I Drive: 2012 titanium focus

FF Reputation: 1 Test Engineer Good Standing Member
This is really very useful technical information. Thanks! It makes sense. The only part I wonder is why it only happens during extended driving? It seems the algorithm is all wrong, well anyway I'll leave that subject alone as it could be a beginning for a whole new thread. Now the challenge is to educate and convince dealers like you mentioned in the earlier threads.

By the way, I had a chance to stop by the dealer and have the technician test drive the vehicle again. He didn't notice anything wrong with the steering but he mentioned that I can drop it off later and he'll check to see if the rack and pinion is "centered." Apparently he has a special tool that checks the EPAS functionality and interface with the rack.

On another note, can you tell me where this information was found so I can track it and do some more research on it?

Thanks for your help!!

Titanium Hatchback Manufactured 7/16/12
Oh by the way, I wanted to ask if anyone is experiencing the Focus DCT Transmission shuddering in 1 st gear? Mine recently just started showing symptoms.
Old 08-13-2011, 10:51 PM   #123
Eurofordfan
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 87186
What I Drive: 1985 Moto Guzzi T5 850 NT

FF Reputation: 1 Eurofordfan Good Standing Member
Test Engineer: this thread, is where the information is found; follow it from the beginning.

Also, this: http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=263243 thread is where other discussion is located re steering issues for the 2012.

Cheers

Eurofordfan
Old 08-18-2011, 08:19 AM   #124
herbz
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 84909
What I Drive: 2012 SE Hatch 5MT Sterling Grey

FF Reputation: 1 herbz Good Standing Member
Quick update: Just received a call from Ford Corporate with a quick update on my car. As we all know the problem lies in the steering rack assembly. Apparently the vendor is now manufacturing these assemblies with some new quality control procedures (which sounds good to me, as I would hate to receive another defective one). Either way, my unit is being shipped out next Monday 8/22. I should hopefully have my car back Wednesday 8/24 and will post results as soon as I'm able to.
Old 08-21-2011, 08:23 PM   #125
CrazyDave
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86019
What I Drive: 07 Shelby Mustang GT, 2012 Focus

FF Reputation: 1 CrazyDave Good Standing Member
I took my first highway trip today. 280 miles to Austin and back.

Either the wind was really bad, or I have the same steering rack issue.

I thought I was driving a wiffle ball the entire trip. Very unnerving.

So I will have a hard time convincing my dealer to replace my rack?
Old 08-21-2011, 08:47 PM   #126
seamustry
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86768
What I Drive: :::

FF Reputation: 1 seamustry Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbz View Post
Quick update: Just received a call from Ford Corporate with a quick update on my car. As we all know the problem lies in the steering rack assembly. Apparently the vendor is now manufacturing these assemblies with some new quality control procedures (which sounds good to me, as I would hate to receive another defective one). Either way, my unit is being shipped out next Monday 8/22. I should hopefully have my car back Wednesday 8/24 and will post results as soon as I'm able to.
what build dates have been receiving the "fixed" racks? do you know?
Old 08-21-2011, 09:12 PM   #127
Test Engineer
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 88499
What I Drive: 2012 titanium focus

FF Reputation: 1 Test Engineer Good Standing Member
It's extremely disappointing that my dealership did not detect/find the problem. I test drove with a technician for only about ~15 minutes (I felt like he was in a rush) and he found nothing out of the ordinary as he could tell. He mentioned that I could leave it for a day or so that he can check the rack and pinion to see if it was "centered." The other day, I got a call from the service rep and they couldn't find anything wrong with the steering. I asked them to drive it for awhile; his response was something in the lines of "They don't have the time to test drive for that long of a time." I've indicated to him that this is known problem and suggested to look at the copies of blogs I gave him to possibly help diagnose the issue. He suggested that there is no merit in these blogs and that Ford will issue a TSB if there are issues.
I was frustrated with the fact that they did not encounter/acknowledge the same symptoms that I did and especially did not take the time to address the concern; it seems that it was a rush, rush get it out the door service.

The problem is still not solved with my vehicle as I the driveablilty issues remind me of it everyday (Drive 1 hour and 20 minutes each way). I will follow up with the Ford Corporate case number I have. This is my second Ford vehicle I've purchased and I'm wondering whether I'll stand brand loyal or if it will be a lesson learned. Yes I understand that 1st year models tend have more bugs but Ford should make an effort to communicate serious issues like these and not keep the owners in the dark.
Old 08-21-2011, 09:28 PM   #128
completely_focused
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86510
What I Drive: 2012 Ingot Silver Ford Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 1 completely_focused Good Standing Member
Would it be possible to make a special appointment with the dealer ship so you can have someone ready to take a test drive with you AFTER you have driven it for 45 minutes or so to ensure it will fail soon after you take your test drive? This way you don't waste any of their precious time.

It's like the car is innocent until proven guilty.
Old 08-22-2011, 07:58 AM   #129
herbz
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 84909
What I Drive: 2012 SE Hatch 5MT Sterling Grey

FF Reputation: 1 herbz Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by seamustry View Post
what build dates have been receiving the "fixed" racks? do you know?
To be honest no idea. Anything as of last week since that is when mine was built would be a good guess.

Test Engineer: That's indeed extremely frustrating. My dealer gave me the same runaround saying "we don't have time to go on an extended test drive" at which point I got (slightly) nasty with the guy until he was saying "don't worry, we will do everything we can to fix your car, but it might take some time". I said I was fine with that but to force the issue I insisted that I didn't want my car back until the issue was fixed.

If this helps you can have your Ford Corporate rep refer to my case number: 146002131. I'm not sure how it would help but I think you really need to lay into the Ford Corporate rep so he/she will in turn lay into your dealer. I don't know if trying another dealer at this point would be a good option. It's unfortunate that you've had to take so much personal time to rectify this issue to no avail. Once again I wish you luck and hope things work out for you.
Old 08-22-2011, 09:15 AM   #130
TjroIhenu
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 87366
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black SE

FF Reputation: 1 TjroIhenu Good Standing Member
I have problems with it drifting to the right.

On a couple occasions while braking at a red light coming to a complete stop with the wheel centered, The wheel would turn itself slightly to the right. ???

Another is forcing itself to straighten up while I'm trying to accelerate while turning. I've had times where I was like "OH...I'm going straight onto the island...)

I don't know if its because of the road conditions, The car or I'm just crazy.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->