2012 Focus Custom Ram Air How-To - Page 2 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current)

DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current) The place to chat about any Duratec 2.0L Ti-VCT engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-08-2011, 06:55 AM   #11
immaengineer
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 87350
What I Drive: 2012, White, Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 1 immaengineer Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
From my experience CAI and CATback exhaust doesn't void warranty, I've done this on my past 2 cars with no problems from dealers. As long as the correct sensors are in place you should be find. Great build, change the rubber hose to a bend aluminum pipe and you'll be golden!
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2011, 08:31 AM   #12
a351must2
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 87762
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Ti, 2011 Mustang GT

FF Reputation: 1 a351must2 Good Standing Member
To void your warranty Ford would need to prove that your modification caused the damage you are having the vehicle serviced for. Even then, the warranty isn't voided, it just won't cover damage caused by modifications you made...it'll still cover other issues with the car.
1978 Mustang II, 2.3L Turbo, 5spd
Old 08-08-2011, 08:40 AM   #13
immaengineer
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by a351must2 View Post
To void your warranty Ford would need to prove that your modification caused the damage you are having the vehicle serviced for. Even then, the warranty isn't voided, it just won't cover damage caused by modifications you made...it'll still cover other issues with the car.
Exactly, So if you have a CAI and your MAF sensor has a problem, That part may be subject to not being covered, but they can't void your whole warranty based on it.

Basically mods are taboo now-a-days, Ford company pays to fix your car under warranty, not the dealer. If anything, they WANT to fix stuff under warranty because payment is guaranteed.
Old 08-08-2011, 09:39 AM   #14
newmission
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 84688
What I Drive: YB-MK3-MTX-SE-OG Sport-HB

FF Reputation: 5 newmission Good Standing Member
Good call gentlemen.

I was at first looking around for an aluminum intake pipe, but price was the same if not higher. However the real deciding factor was the allotted room. The pass through from engine compartment, to front bumper is not a perfect circle. This means I would have had to go down in size of tube diameter. Plus you are passing by the radiator. I didn't want to heat the tubing bringing in cool air. And finally the over all look. A polished aluminum tube would look out of place. The heater hose blends into it's surroundings. This way it looks like a high end system, and maintains the benefit of the larger diameter piping.

So far I'm up 1.5 mpg on the first tank, and still have yet to receive my K&N filter and Outerwears prefilter. NO CEL either! I am however getting the traction control light coming on from spinning the tires! NOTE: I'm not stating this mod somehow gained a ton of hp. But the engine does seem much happier, as does my foot. )
Hatch Nation #110
Debadge-and Drive Naked
Home of the Free Blacked Out Grille Mod, and Griffin Ram Air Mod.
Get you some!
Old 08-09-2011, 09:59 AM   #15
DanteCaspian
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 57473
What I Drive: 2012, Platinum, Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 DanteCaspian Good Standing Member
Impressive!
Old 08-09-2011, 11:31 AM   #16
S0C0nFused
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 39405
What I Drive: 2007 TorD-Red ZX5 SES

Points 11,949, Level 71
Points: 11,949, Level: 71 Points: 11,949, Level: 71 Points: 11,949, Level: 71
Level Up 75% Completed
Level up: 75% Level up: 75% Level up: 75%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 77 S0C0nFused Excellent Standing Member
Great job. But you might have induced a problem. You need to look at your MAF counts. Your MAF should produce a smooth line. I found that blowing directly on the filter caused the MAF to produce a 'spiky' output. The fix is to put a shield over the inlet so that the air flows up and around the filter (I have a similair setup on my 07).
Use of the rubber hose is genius. Even if you have a small constriction, the rubber will produce a smooth transition. Might try and find some pieces for mine.
Add >> Oh! just noticed. Your trim piece you drilled holes in. You did not drill near enough holes for any appreciable air flow. If you take the diameter of all the hoses within 1/2 inch of the tube, and compare to the flow of a 3" I.D tube, you get a true flow picture. It's amazing how restrictive even small hole punched metal is. However, As it appears you shaped the end section (the scoop as you called it), then actually, your pulling air from behind the bumper. That may be a low pressure area due to the design of your front facia, but may negate need for the diffusser. These are all just fine tweaks. Nice job overall!!!
Last of the Hatches #28
Old 08-09-2011, 12:17 PM   #17
newmission
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 84688
What I Drive: YB-MK3-MTX-SE-OG Sport-HB

FF Reputation: 5 newmission Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by S0C0nFused View Post
Great job. But you might have induced a problem. You need to look at your MAF counts. Your MAF should produce a smooth line. I found that blowing directly on the filter caused the MAF to produce a 'spiky' output. The fix is to put a shield over the inlet so that the air flows up and around the filter (I have a similair setup on my 07).
Use of the rubber hose is genius. Even if you have a small constriction, the rubber will produce a smooth transition. Might try and find some pieces for mine.
Add >> Oh! just noticed. Your trim piece you drilled holes in. You did not drill near enough holes for any appreciable air flow. If you take the diameter of all the hoses within 1/2 inch of the tube, and compare to the flow of a 3" I.D tube, you get a true flow picture. It's amazing how restrictive even small hole punched metal is. However, As it appears you shaped the end section (the scoop as you called it), then actually, your pulling air from behind the bumper. That may be a low pressure area due to the design of your front facia, but may negate need for the diffusser. These are all just fine tweaks. Nice job overall!!!
Thanks for the suggestions! :)

All of what you noted here was considered before making the venture. The factory inlet to the box blows directly on the filter so I don't see there being a problem with that. Also the air has to travel at a 90 degree angle once inside of the filter to reach the throttle body. At that point it's sucking what it needs to anyway.

The "scoop" cut only extends to the outer most edge of the drilled section. Not from behind the bumper. You can see the end of the hose is directly in line with the end of the triangular cut out.

However I do agree the holes could be doubled. And just may down the road. But I didn't want to open that area too much as it appears the ECU is mounted to that fender well. I also didn't want it to be too obvious and take away from the front end's over all look.

So far I am very happy with this set-up. Just received and installed my K&N last night, and ordered up the Outerwears Pre-filter a second ago. They have to be custom made. If anyone else is interested in a pre-filter, which is great in general to keep junk out of the pleats, let me know and I'll hook you up with the salesperson that has the specs.
Hatch Nation #110
Debadge-and Drive Naked
Home of the Free Blacked Out Grille Mod, and Griffin Ram Air Mod.
Get you some!
Old 08-10-2011, 09:54 AM   #18
immaengineer
Focus Enthusiast

I will be doing this mod soon!
Old 08-10-2011, 12:08 PM   #19
S0C0nFused
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 39405
What I Drive: 2007 TorD-Red ZX5 SES

Points 11,949, Level 71
Points: 11,949, Level: 71 Points: 11,949, Level: 71 Points: 11,949, Level: 71
Level Up 75% Completed
Level up: 75% Level up: 75% Level up: 75%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 77 S0C0nFused Excellent Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmission View Post
Thanks for the suggestions! :)

The factory inlet to the box blows directly on the filter so I don't see there being a problem with that.
Good then. Mine actually comes in behind the filter (air making a 180 bend, about 6 inches below the actual intake of the Steeda SRI). I was just suprised by the spikes. I small deflector (air spreader) cured it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmission View Post
I also didn't want it to be too obvious and take away from the front end's over all look.
Agree! Conservative changes are generally best when there visible (Note: does not apply to me. I have no taste!). I am going to have to hunt down some rubber pipe now. That just makes so much sense!

P.S. Nice bracket work there!
Last of the Hatches #28
Old 08-22-2011, 12:16 PM   #20
immaengineer
Focus Enthusiast

Hows the set-up coming along? Any problems so far?

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.