Issues with new 2012 Ford Focus - Page 6 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-01-2011, 06:10 PM   #51
sirhawkeye
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 83605
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE Ingot Silver HB

FF Reputation: 1 sirhawkeye Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Thank you. I Jjust wanted to make sure before I go giving out information about me and my car to people.... But, just as a question, has she actually had an impact on getting people's problems resolved??? (I'm not doubting this, but again I never see the results on here...)
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2011, 06:17 PM   #52
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

Points 27,138, Level 97
Points: 27,138, Level: 97 Points: 27,138, Level: 97 Points: 27,138, Level: 97
Level Up 79% Completed
Level up: 79% Level up: 79% Level up: 79%
Forum Activity 5%
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%
FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I've seen more than one. I can't recall right now, but yes she will make the dealer take you seriously if they don't want to. If I have the time to find a thread where someone thanked her for her help, then I will.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 08-01-2011, 08:40 PM   #53
sirhawkeye
Focus Enthusiast

I mean, the dealers took me seriously after they saw/heard what it was doing... so there's no question there. It's more or less than nobody knows why this is happening. Furthermore, they all want to keep the car for a week or so so they can remove the trans and other parts to find the issue, which I guess is somewhat normal, but that also leaves me without a car. Now, the dealer I bought the car from will loan me a car while mine is being repaired, so we will see how that goes. Hopefully I can get it in by the end of this week so that they can start looking at it. If they need to keep it for 2 weeks, then fine. Just as long as they don't try to charge me for the loaner car while mine is being worked on. This is what bugged me the most... dealers want me to pay for a rental car when this is purely a warranty issue. So as long as I can get to work and to do errands somehow with a car, then they can keep it the 1-2 weeks they say they may need.

Basically it comes down to this: my local dealer will look at the car, but they need it for a week. And to get a rental will cost me $28 per day, because I didn't buy the car from them. I can take the car to the dealer I got it from, and they'll give me a loaner car for however long they have my car. Only thing is they are 80 miles away. I may just go back to the original dealer the car came from because the gas is only about $25 round trip (similar to 1 rental car day after you add in the annoying IL tolls). I know it's not my local dealer's fault I don't have a spare car to drive, but why can't they just bill the rental car to Ford. After all, the works is to be covered under warranty.

I will post back when I find out more about this situation. I will still contact the FordCustomerService people with the VIN just as a backup.
Old 08-02-2011, 05:45 PM   #54
teaster
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 88448
What I Drive: 2012 charcoal gray ford focus

FF Reputation: 1 teaster Good Standing Member
focus shudder

I am experiencing the exact same issue. There is a hesitation when accelerating and there is a shudder when coming to a stop. I have 4000 miles on my new focus and it is not getting any better. If anything, it is more noticable. Unfortunately I bought mine out of state because the clutch on my Civic, which had 250,000 miles on it, went out while I was on vacation and I knew it was time for a new car. I've never bought a Ford in my life but my boyfriend and his father are loyal Ford customers so I was convinced that this purchase would be a good one. I can honestly say I have never had one problem with my old Civic. and I'm starting to wish I had just gotten the clutch fixed and not bought this Focus.

Due to being out of state when I purchased it, I am having trouble getting a call back from the local dealerships who I have called to see if they would look into the issue. I was thinking I would just have to drive into the local dealership and insist someone take a look at my car and decided to Google it and see if anyone else was having the same issue. I am glad I found this forum because I was starting to wonder if I just wasn't used to the automatic transmission. But the longer I drive it, the more I realize that something just isn't right. I sure hope I get an answer soon.

Last edited by teaster; 08-02-2011 at 05:46 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old 08-02-2011, 06:01 PM   #55
sirhawkeye
Focus Enthusiast

For my problem, the shuttering and hesitation and problems, but they can wait... I'm more concerned with this whining noise its making. I just want to make sure that it's not going to cause major problems later on. They shuttering/hesitation in my situation is probably related to what other problem(s) I'm having.

I've test drove 5 Focuses before buying this one, and they all ran fine, and I didn't hear the noise I hear in my car.
Old 08-02-2011, 06:20 PM   #56
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

Points 27,138, Level 97
Points: 27,138, Level: 97 Points: 27,138, Level: 97 Points: 27,138, Level: 97
Level Up 79% Completed
Level up: 79% Level up: 79% Level up: 79%
Forum Activity 5%
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%
FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I've never known any dealer to charge you for a loaner car. They will try to make it seem like you should get a rental, but that's because you can choose to do that if you want. If you end up paying for it, then it's your loss, but they should loan you a car for something that causes your vehicle to fail completely under warranty.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 08-03-2011, 01:41 PM   #57
howelljimmy22
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 88476
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray SE

FF Reputation: 1 howelljimmy22 Good Standing Member
Angry Issues with 2012 Ford Focus

I, like dvandy4898 and Jellman123, purchased a 2012 Ford Focus on June 6, 2011. After driving for about two weeks, I continually noticed a shutter in the transmission. When I would go to take off or come to a stop it shutters and acts like it was going to stall. Actually, it was kind of like the transmission was slipping and could not grab gears. I immediately called the dealership and asked to set a date for a diagnostic test because there was a problem with the transmission. The man whom I spoke with in the service department acted like I had no clue what I was talking about and said that the shutter I was feeling is the clutch assembly engaging and that there is nothing wrong with the car. It is now August and the problem has gotten worse. Not just a little, but a great deal worse. Now, when I put my car in reverse and go to roll back, the transmission shakes the entire car and kind of stalls. Every time I go to take off the car acts like it is going to completely shut down. When I slam on the gas it does not do this, but I shouldn't not have to slam on the gas because it is an automatic, also this car is meant for fuel economy and slamming on the gas does not get me the promised gas mileage that this car was meant to deliver. I called Mike Castrucci Ford today and made an appointment because I feel like I am being taken for an idiot. I went to Universal Technical Institute for college. I know cars. However, I did get a second opinion just to make sure I was not crazy. My fiance's father is 28 years ASE certified. He has worked for many Ford dealerships and now owns his own shop where he repairs customer vehicles for a living. He test drove my new focus for me. He said there is something seriously wrong with the transmission and it will probably be recalled. I hope Ford fixes this issue because if my car stalls when I am trying to take off from a stop then I might wind up in an accident. It is very unsafe and I am very disappointed with Ford after owning so many good quality vehicles from this company. I did not like being treated like someone who does not know anything about vehicles because I am ASE certified myself. I will post again after my Saturday appointment with Ford to tell everyone what they said about my 2012 Focus.
Old 08-03-2011, 02:52 PM   #58
Jellman123
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 86885
What I Drive: White, 2012 SEL 5 door

FF Reputation: 1 Jellman123 Good Standing Member
howelljimmy22 - you are correct in what you are seeing and feeling with your car.

I also have an appointment with Ford for this coming Tuesday. It looks like you are new to the site, but if you look through the thread, the Ford representative has been asking folks to send their VIN number and location of service to him privately. I did this just the other day and they responded right away. They are sounding like they want to work with folks. I think the first step, which is a pain, is to get the dealership to check things out and get their feedback. Then we can report back in the this forum what we are seeing and start to hold the Ford rep more accountable or use this as documentation of the issue when we have to start writing letters etc. Please keep us updated.
Old 08-03-2011, 07:49 PM   #59
fletch7719
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 88491
What I Drive: 2012 Silver Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 fletch7719 Good Standing Member
I'm about an hour new to this forum and I joined only in hopes to find out what the heck is wrong with my transmission! I bought my 2012 Focus about a week ago and just clicked 1K miles. I love the car but I have all of the same problems as the rest of you guys. Car shudders (especially) at downhill stops...clunks into gear hard (intermittently), reverse is "jerky" feels like it skips third gear sometimes, and it's all getting worse. Dealer said it's normal and they're not that familiar with the new trans....also told me they've replaced a couple of Fiesta transmissions less than a thousand miles. I don't know if Ford is using the same trans there, but sounds scary. Feel kinda sick I dumped 21K ten days ago, and having problems.
Old 08-03-2011, 10:01 PM   #60
sirhawkeye
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by fletch7719 View Post
I'm about an hour new to this forum and I joined only in hopes to find out what the heck is wrong with my transmission! I bought my 2012 Focus about a week ago and just clicked 1K miles. I love the car but I have all of the same problems as the rest of you guys. Car shudders (especially) at downhill stops...clunks into gear hard (intermittently), reverse is "jerky" feels like it skips third gear sometimes, and it's all getting worse. Dealer said it's normal and they're not that familiar with the new trans....also told me they've replaced a couple of Fiesta transmissions less than a thousand miles. I don't know if Ford is using the same trans there, but sounds scary. Feel kinda sick I dumped 21K ten days ago, and having problems.
I would maybe take it to another dealer. I will tell you this, the rental I have is a bit jerky too... makes some noises, and reverse is jerky as well. The car has 2k on it, and for the most part it seems OK. It's just something we may have to get used to. Maybe go another 500 or 1000 miles and then see. After all, your warranty is good for 5 years or 60k.

The reason I had to get mine in quickly (which I just dropped off this afternoon by the way) is because they now think the problem I have (the whining / moaning noise that fades in and out) could possibly be a bearing within the trans, and they don't want me driving it any more than I have to, in fear that the trans could break down alltogether (and I travel a decent amount for work).

But, back to your question, I would simply just give the car another 1000 miles or so and then see. I know it's a bit annoying since you spent $21,000 on a car and it doesn't seem right, but all the Focuses that I've driven have been a little jerky at times (and I doubt that all 5 were bad)... it's a different style of transmission than what most are used to. Most are used to the smooth-shifting tranny, but the 6-speed in the Focus is like an automated manual, so it's going to have some characteristics (in particular some noise, and a bit jerky) as a manual does.

LIke I said, take it to another dealer if you want reassurance. Or even a third dealer if you must. I went to three dealers before going back to my own dealer (where I got the car).

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.