2012 Focus owners - how do you like Powershift tranny so far? - Page 16 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-24-2011, 10:19 AM   #151
completely_focused
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86510
What I Drive: 2012 Ingot Silver Ford Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 1 completely_focused Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucy2012 View Post
I did check the gauges which were all within normal range. I also looked for an engine light (not on) I ran a vehicle report when I pulled over and nothing was reported. The Dealership ran diagnostics and could not detect an issue. I buy gas from the same station and use Shell. So, I will drive the car per my normal habits and bring it back should the problem reoccur. I am hoping this was a one time fluke.
That's the first time I've heard anyone experience a problem like that with this transmission. It's so darn difficult to troubleshoot such an intermittent problem.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2011, 11:05 AM   #152
sirhawkeye
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 83605
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE Ingot Silver HB

FF Reputation: 1 sirhawkeye Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimlock99 View Post
Just got a call from the dealership.After a day and a half of diagnosis,the technicians still got no clue where the rattling and vibration come from.Actually they got no clue because their laptop don't tell them sh!t! They are waiting instructions from Ford to know what's next.I already told them the Powershift tranny was the issue but they say their hands are tied until Ford tells them what to do.

Sounds like I'm gonna drive that crappy loaner for a long time.
I'm curious about this too, because mine makes a vibration noise (groaning/moaning noise) that fades in and out as you drive in D, above 30 mph. It probably is still ocurring under 30 mph, but you can't hear/feel it. It is a very audiable sound. But yet, the car still drives OK (one dealer suggested it was a trans problem). I do know this (at least for my car's problem): it's speed related--as in how fast the car is driving, not neccesarily how fast the engine is turning because I let it coast down a hill once (got up to about 60 mph) with the car in Neutral and RPMs around 600-800, and the car still made the same noise (same tone, same pitch--which changes with speed--louder and more vibration and low speeds, and shorter quieter noise at higher speeds).

Anyone experience this? I'm taking the car back for round two to the dealership this week... I hope it's not a trans problem, and something a little less dramatic, such as a bearing problem or hub issue.
Old 07-24-2011, 12:00 PM   #153
SydneyRoo
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86671
What I Drive: 2012 Titanium Blue Candy

Points 1,434, Level 21
Points: 1,434, Level: 21 Points: 1,434, Level: 21 Points: 1,434, Level: 21
Level Up 34% Completed
Level up: 34% Level up: 34% Level up: 34%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 2 SydneyRoo Good Standing Member
Update, car has just shy of 1600km/1000mi on it now. Definitely noticing the transmission has gotten smoother on starts, and is learning my driving style. It doesn't seem quite as eager to shift so quick in the first 3 gears. Fuel mileage isn't near what I want it to be though. Hoping that's due to the break-in or whatever the factory break-in oil is.
Old 07-24-2011, 12:31 PM   #154
Dgc333
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85422
What I Drive: 2012, candy blue, SEL

Points 750, Level 14
Points: 750, Level: 14 Points: 750, Level: 14 Points: 750, Level: 14
Level Up 50% Completed
Level up: 50% Level up: 50% Level up: 50%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 Dgc333 Good Standing Member
We have about 1700 miles on ours now and the tranny has been smooth and idiosyncrency free since we drove it off the lot.

The only change we have noted is that the car is shifting at a higher rpm than when new, around 3000 rpm with modest throttle and in sport mode it's got very firm and decisive upshifting as well as down shifting. I am assuming that this the adaptive programming learning how we drive.

The mileage increased from around 29 mpg to 34ish mpg and is hanging there. This is in suburban around town driving.
Old 07-25-2011, 05:11 PM   #155
Footballer
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 88195
What I Drive: 2003 Mazda Protege5 (Midnight Blue)

FF Reputation: 1 Footballer Good Standing Member
I'm interested in getting a Focus2012, but I'm afraid that I might be disappointed when comparing it to my mazda protege5 (or P5 as we call it). My mazda is Tiptronic, which means that that normally it has an auto tranny, but push the stick to the right in the +/- slot and you shift manually without a clutch.

When shifting in focus using the +/- side button, how "fun" was it? I was able to test drive an auto tranny only, and my only negative about it was the windshield (smaller visibility than the P5).

I'm still seriosuly considering a focus hatchback, but will have to test drive a 'tiptronic' for a final decision.

(I know it's relatively early, but how much millage do you guys thing it'll get by the time it 'retires'? A P5 i know surpassed the 400k km, while mine is just at 191k km).
Old 07-25-2011, 06:07 PM   #156
sirhawkeye
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 83605
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE Ingot Silver HB

FF Reputation: 1 sirhawkeye Good Standing Member
First off, I would say take a test drive (obviously). I find the SelectShift to be fun, but I also live in an area where we mainly have flat land, but I do travel, so I can't wait to take it to the mountains.

As for being disappointed, this I think is really more of an opinion. Just because I (or someone else on the forum) may like the Focus doesn't always mean that you will to. I'd say, see if you can take it out for an hour or so and drive on different roads/ settings... play with the SST a little and see if you like how it works. Then compare to what you have and weigh things out.

Me personally, I needed a car regardless, and I've had Focuses before (some of which I wasn't too pleased with) but absolutely loved the 2012 (and was a bit glad that they decided to make the newer ones based on the Euro Focus).

So my two cents: test drive and see for yourself. Be advised that the SST is available on the SEL and Titanium as standard equip, and an option on the SE model (which is about $810 MSRP because you have to get the SE Sport Package). And LIke I said, I like mine so far. I think it's also a nice option to have for those times where you may need to control the trans a bit more than the computer does, but you'll pay a premium price for this option....

As for the hatchback, I'd say go with it. The sedan is cheaper, but the trunk is limited on space (and the actual height of what you can fit through the trunk is only about 24 inches. The hatch has slightly more cargo space, and it's easier to get things in and out of it. But again, the hatchback costs a little more.

I'd say choose what you want, but (and I'm assuming you're getting a loan for it) keep in mind that while the hatch is about $600 more than the sedan, over a standard 5 year loan at a modest interest rate, you're only talking about $10-12 per month extra. At least for me, that little extr wasn't a big deal. To some, it may be. I figured I might as well pay an extra $12 a month for something I like to drive than be paying for a car I don't really like as much. If trunk space or looks aren't really a big issue to you, then I'd say get the sedan version because it is slightly cheaper to purchase.
Old 07-29-2011, 11:03 AM   #157
jsmichael
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 61254
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Focus SE Sport

FF Reputation: 1 jsmichael Good Standing Member
I've had my 2012 Focus SE for a few weeks now and was aware of possible transmission issues prior to purchasing the vehicle. The car has the Sport package and Select Shift option. Overall I'm impressed with the new Focus having moved from a 2009 Focus.

The 2012 Focus is not your parents' Focus and has definitely been improved in the area of road handling and stability. The car just feels solid while tooling down the road.

Now, regarding the jerky transmission shifting, this typically occurs on the lower gears, and most noticeably when you get going from a dead stop. There is definitely a hesitation if you try accelerating quickly from a dead stop. It reminds me of the turbo hesitation in my 2008 Super Duty.

I suspect that Ford will eventually send out notices to all 2012 Focus owners for a re-flash to correct the shifting issues. I realize that the transmission is different than what is in previous years' Focuses, but if the tranny is working as designed in my Focus, then Ford needs to put a different transmission in the car.
Old 07-29-2011, 11:48 AM   #158
Grisby
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 87598
What I Drive: 2012 Silver SE Hatch 201A 5M Sport

FF Reputation: 1 Grisby Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Footballer View Post
I'm interested in getting a Focus2012, but I'm afraid that I might be disappointed when comparing it to my mazda protege5 (or P5 as we call it). My mazda is Tiptronic, which means that that normally it has an auto tranny, but push the stick to the right in the +/- slot and you shift manually without a clutch.

When shifting in focus using the +/- side button, how "fun" was it? I was able to test drive an auto tranny only, and my only negative about it was the windshield (smaller visibility than the P5).

I'm still seriosuly considering a focus hatchback, but will have to test drive a 'tiptronic' for a final decision.

(I know it's relatively early, but how much millage do you guys thing it'll get by the time it 'retires'? A P5 i know surpassed the 400k km, while mine is just at 191k km).
Sorry for getting a bit off topic but this is interesting. I had a P5 several cars ago and of the total 35 cars I've owned I liked it one of the best. I owned the P5 for 10 years and since then I have had a 2010 Mazda 3 GT, 2010 Pontiac G8 GT, 2010 GMC Terrain and my current ride, a 2012 Focus hatch. The Focus seems like the spiritual succsessor to the P5 and is probably my favourite so far so I would say you will like it a lot, (but probably even more so if you can drive a stick).

Last edited by Grisby; 07-29-2011 at 02:49 PM.
Old 07-29-2011, 03:58 PM   #159
AmishGuy91
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 85045
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 1 AmishGuy91 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmichael View Post
I suspect that Ford will eventually send out notices to all 2012 Focus owners for a re-flash to correct the shifting issues. I realize that the transmission is different than what is in previous years' Focuses, but if the tranny is working as designed in my Focus, then Ford needs to put a different transmission in the car.
I couldn't agree more. At 3400 miles now and my transmission is still as jerky as ever. It just isn't fun to drive in the city.
Old 07-29-2011, 04:29 PM   #160
Armen
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 88098
What I Drive: 2012 Mustang GT

FF Reputation: 1 Armen Good Standing Member
I find it a bit jerky in some situations but I'm very impressed at how hard the car pulls when you put your foot into it.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Tags
dct , powershift

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.