FSWerks Cool-Flo Intake Installation Problems - Page 4 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Second Generation > DURATEC Performance (2008-2011)

DURATEC Performance (2008-2011) The place to chat about any Duratec 20 engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-26-2011, 06:01 PM   #31
lacole725
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85112
What I Drive: 2010 Ingot Silver Focus SE Sedan

FF Reputation: 3 lacole725 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by crice8 View Post
What exactly is it you wanted a pic of? And no I've had no slipping at all. Fits very securely. The mounting bracket where it attached to the body of the car is meant to give a little due to the engine twirking when started or jolted. But at the throttle body and down to that bracket it is very sturdy and solid.
The position of the mounting bracket relative to the mounting bolt before attaching it. Mine was really far away, but I do understand that it is supposed to move due to engine torque. I might not have had a problem with slipping, but I broke the hose clamp when trying to tighten it. Everything is ok now, but I still don't understand why some people have trouble installing the intake while others have no problems at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2011, 06:06 PM   #32
07ZX3SAP
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 83124
What I Drive: 07 ST CD Silver, 01 Pitch Black Se

FF Reputation: 1 07ZX3SAP Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by lacole725 View Post
but I still don't understand why some people have trouble installing the intake while others have no problems at all.
Ive heard some people are dumber than others!!!
Old 06-26-2011, 08:22 PM   #33
lacole725
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07ZX3SAP View Post
Ive heard some people are dumber than others!!!
I mean obviously something is up if my cousin and I sit there and watch the coupler slide off the throttle body after tightening the clamp and readjusting the mounting bolt so it gives the intake more room.

However, I think I am going to check my MAF to make sure I tightened it all the way because I really have not noticed a gain in my MPG but actually a decrease. I also hear a whistling sound like a turbocharger, so it might be coming from the sensor, but I don't think it could make that loud of a noise.
Old 06-26-2011, 11:44 PM   #34
crice8
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 84830
What I Drive: 2010 Sterling Gray Focus SE Sedan

FF Reputation: 9 crice8 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (13)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lacole725 View Post
Usually it goes sky high when you fill up and get right on the highway, mine read 47.5 mpg one time. Did you happen to take any pictures of the mounting bracket before you attached it to the rubber mount, like just sitting there? Any slipping of the coupler on the throttle body?
man it sounds like something is definately not correct with your install. noone else is having trouble with it fitting on a 2.0 engine and i personally know tons of people who have it. as far as the slipping off the throttle body it sounds like you are not putting the sleeve/coupler evenly on the throttle body and intake pipe. and you also should not have a fluctuation of that much from filling up unless your hitting the reset button on the mpg calculator and everyones car starts off high then drops to where the computer figures it. its going to be alot more sensitive after hitting reset because the comp is basing it off of 1 mile or more vs an average of 200 miles.
Old 06-27-2011, 06:15 AM   #35
lacole725
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by crice8 View Post
man it sounds like something is definately not correct with your install. noone else is having trouble with it fitting on a 2.0 engine and i personally know tons of people who have it. as far as the slipping off the throttle body it sounds like you are not putting the sleeve/coupler evenly on the throttle body and intake pipe. and you also should not have a fluctuation of that much from filling up unless your hitting the reset button on the mpg calculator and everyones car starts off high then drops to where the computer figures it. its going to be alot more sensitive after hitting reset because the comp is basing it off of 1 mile or more vs an average of 200 miles.
I think I have it taken care of now since I put the new clamp on and I even fixed my wiring so the sensor is plugged in around the front and it looks like it is still in the relatively stock location. I'm going to double check how tight the sensor is since I just said something about it but I have to wait until I get off work today. As for the 47.5mpg, that was when I was completely stock, it was actually on the way home from carlisle. I filled up in Cockeysville and got right on the highway. It increases so much because there is virtually no stopping. I hand calculate my fuel mileage after every fill up since I got the car and reset all my computers like trip and fuel economy. The only reason my fuel economy has been down lately is because I haven't been driving like normal, I've been driving in a lot of stop and go and high speeds, if anything it has only dropped a few mpg, but I could come up with something totally different when I hand calculate it.
Old 06-27-2011, 11:35 PM   #36
BowerR64
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 78699
What I Drive: 2007 ZX3 SE

FF Reputation: 12 BowerR64 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Mine slipped off also. I ran a log and Tom told me i had a leak. I didnt check it because it was on so solid. I thought it was another hose that may of been leaking a little.

I poped the hood and sure enough the intake slipped off the Throttle body just like that other guy. I also bought a new hose clamp that has a different design.

I think since im not the only one with this issue i might try and fine a different coupler that has a slight taper.

The couplers are kinda greasy or somthing. The rubber has a greasy kinda feel to them. Maybe i should try cleaning it up with somthing sticky so it sticks a little better.

Its not a problem with the install its pretty easy to do. Maybe some of the parts or the way its built has changed a little?
Old 06-28-2011, 02:09 AM   #37
09vistabluecoupe
Focus Addict

Fan#: 67900
What I Drive: 2009 Vista Blue SE coupe

FF Reputation: 2 09vistabluecoupe Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)

I haven't had any problems like you've said you've been having, and I've had my intake on for roughly 40k miles now. It does angle a little bit towards the front of the car, it's not supposed to just go straight up and down. Also as you can see in this pic my coupler isn't pinched like yours. Are the couplers any different and maybe you have the one for the intake to TB where the intake meets the filter ?

Midwest crew #52
Old 06-28-2011, 06:22 AM   #38
lacole725
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowerR64 View Post
Mine slipped off also. I ran a log and Tom told me i had a leak. I didnt check it because it was on so solid. I thought it was another hose that may of been leaking a little.

I poped the hood and sure enough the intake slipped off the Throttle body just like that other guy. I also bought a new hose clamp that has a different design.

I think since im not the only one with this issue i might try and fine a different coupler that has a slight taper.

The couplers are kinda greasy or somthing. The rubber has a greasy kinda feel to them. Maybe i should try cleaning it up with somthing sticky so it sticks a little better.

Its not a problem with the install its pretty easy to do. Maybe some of the parts or the way its built has changed a little?
The couplers are silicone, that is why they feel slippery. I ordered a reducer from Samco to put on the throttle body but it has to be made to order by them in the UK so I won't get it until the end of July.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09vistabluecoupe View Post

I haven't had any problems like you've said you've been having, and I've had my intake on for roughly 40k miles now. It does angle a little bit towards the front of the car, it's not supposed to just go straight up and down. Also as you can see in this pic my coupler isn't pinched like yours. Are the couplers any different and maybe you have the one for the intake to TB where the intake meets the filter ?
I checked that when I first discovered the problem, they are the same size.
Old 06-29-2011, 11:29 AM   #39
crice8
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 84830
What I Drive: 2010 Sterling Gray Focus SE Sedan

FF Reputation: 9 crice8 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (13)
ok mileage update. hand calculated it was 48.2 so the cars calculator is within 1mpg +-. Also i think your coupler was bent over because you didnt have the tb and the intake tube fully inserted equally on both sides. the coupler is only supposed to hold them together not support the intake. did you put the spacer on the wheel well in the correct location? this could be your issue.
Old 07-28-2011, 02:06 AM   #40
blkb13
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 88076
What I Drive: 2005 ZX5 red

FF Reputation: 1 blkb13 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I just bought my FSwerks intake as well and came across a similar issue. When I attempted to put the coupler to into the throttle body it was very loose. I could tell that even though you would tighten the clamp you would not get a good seal. Its a good thing I had an extra reducing coupler around. I love the overall fit, finish and quality of the product. FSwerks should have included a better fitting silicone coupler for the throttle body.

Bookmarks & Social Networks