2012 2.0 (poor mans intake mod) - Page 3 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current)

DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current) The place to chat about any Duratec 2.0L Ti-VCT engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-05-2011, 10:25 AM   #21
1turbofocus
FF Affiliate

Fan#: 1123
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 / 2002 SVT Turbocharged

Points 50,209, Level 100
Points: 50,209, Level: 100 Points: 50,209, Level: 100 Points: 50,209, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 40%
Activity: 40% Activity: 40% Activity: 40%
FF Reputation: 154 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (28)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxbaby View Post
Will the computer learn the air ratio? With my 03 focus I did airbox and cat back the same time. When I started it for the first time the car idled at 3K rpm..I was thinking shit I screwed somwthing up. Then after about a minute the idle started dropping down and down until it was at normal idle. Waiting a minute turned off the car started it backup and went right to the correct idle. Did not retune and drove it 7 years that way until I sold it to buy the 2012. Was hoping it would work the same?
To a point yes the Focus ECU will learn, the problem is the ECU will only make changes to the fuel in closed loop , closed loop is the fueling done at idle cruise and part throttle , closed loop on the 03 Focus can adjust fueling by 25% +/- either direction. The problem is in open loop fuel nothing gets adjusted so lets say your running 8-10 % lean and the ECU adjust this in closed loop fueling when you go to open loop fueling (wide open throttle) there is nothing to adjust the fuel and you will run 8-10% lean

You have to ask your self if you had a tune how much better would those mods of been and how much safer would the engine have been

When you add mods 95% do it for better performance if you add mods and have no idea if your rich or lean you could be hurting the mods and loosing power from them

Yes I know some one is thinking I did mods and it felt great with no tune , the butt dyno lies because it comes from the same place that just added the mods so it thinks better gains , How much better would it be knowing its right and actually making that power

Tom
Focus-Power: Your #1 Source for Ford Focus Speed, Tuning & Performance!

Customer Support
AIM: hpdyno
Email: hpdyno@aol.com
Phone: 704-249-3745
Site: focus-power.com

Elder 1turbofocus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2011, 11:33 AM   #22
vmaxbaby
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85914
What I Drive: 2012 SE Hatch, GT500, Busa, 2013 SE

FF Reputation: 2 vmaxbaby Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I agree 100% with your statments, and know nothing about the closed loop or open loop but it sounds solid. On my mustang I did do a tune when I changed my intake, in fact everytime I did something I changed my tune so it would make the same sense to do it to this vehicle.
Old 07-18-2011, 12:49 AM   #23
Titanium12
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86295
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 Titanium12 Good Standing Member
I added to K&N Filter today and left the top of the box off......noticed it was louder for sure. A little to loud for my taste so I put the box top back on. I'll let everyone know if my mileage picks up.
Delivery Date: June 29, 2011
Old 07-18-2011, 10:59 AM   #24
TitanFocus76
Focus Addict

Fan#: 75579
What I Drive: 07 Focus ST v1.2

Points 2,618, Level 31
Points: 2,618, Level: 31 Points: 2,618, Level: 31 Points: 2,618, Level: 31
Level Up 12% Completed
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 4 TitanFocus76 Good Standing Member
just noticed the coors light nice haha
glad to see someones already pulling apart the car hope some mods come out soon but i wouldnt be suprised if alot of companies are waiting for the st for a mod platform

Carlisle Ford Not just hid's sponsor pick

Sedan Revolution #152
Old 07-18-2011, 05:38 PM   #25
Tony407
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85289
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray Hatch Titanium

FF Reputation: 4 Tony407 Good Standing Member
Would be really interested if someone were to throw a K&N cone-type filter on that 2.5" intake tube. Seems almost too easy to me. I'd also be really interested if anyone has time to post a video or sound recording with the cut-off top method.

Tony
Old 07-22-2011, 11:16 AM   #26
reddog093
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 87287
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue SE

FF Reputation: 1 reddog093 Good Standing Member
http://www.racinglab.com/weapon-r-in...focus-010.html

i'm considering giving this a shot. However, this thread (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s....php?p=3658500) seems to suggest waiting for an FSWerks or AEM.

Last edited by reddog093; 07-22-2011 at 02:15 PM.
Old 07-22-2011, 10:10 PM   #27
Tony407
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85289
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray Hatch Titanium

FF Reputation: 4 Tony407 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddog093 View Post
http://www.racinglab.com/weapon-r-in...focus-010.html

i'm considering giving this a shot. However, this thread (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s....php?p=3658500) seems to suggest waiting for an FSWerks or AEM.
Excellent. Thanks for the info!

Tony
Old 08-28-2011, 08:20 PM   #28
Edgar
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89037
What I Drive: 2006 F-150

FF Reputation: 2 Edgar Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by immaengineer View Post
Definitley correct, I'm an engineer with aerodynamics experience... I'm working on an air box right now. Hope to have something designed by the end of the week once I get a chance to get a good look under the hood.
Did you ever get a chance to make mod the air box?
Old 08-31-2011, 10:49 AM   #29
immaengineer
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 87350
What I Drive: 2012, White, Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 1 immaengineer Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
Did you ever get a chance to make mod the air box?
I designed a box based on CAI that have been coming out for the Fiesta and a tube that goes from the front of the car to act like a ram-air that connects to the system. I have been trying to wait for an easier, and cheaper alternative, but I think I'm going to go forward with my build since the aftermarket is a bit slow with parts...
Old 09-11-2011, 11:08 AM   #30
e30og
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 83765
What I Drive: '13 SG 4dr, Manual

FF Reputation: 2 e30og Good Standing Member
Sorry to resurrect a dead thread but i just couldn't help it after reading this. I haven't posted here in months, and the one time i came back i found something awesome! I like the note the engine in this car makes, however I have always wished it was louder since i bought the focus. I did not realize how much better fofo sounds just by taking that intake box off...my god its a night and day difference when you press the gas haha. ANYONE with this car, please do yourself a favor and just rip the top of the Air filter box off, and enjoy. Don't waste money on a stupid aftermarket one. You'll never get any realistic gains from an intake anyways (especially if you get caught in city stop-and-go traffic), and any difference between taking this box off vs. throwing $200 at an aftermarket one is negligible at best. Plus, this way you can still use the stock MAF and tube! Its a Ford Genuine Accessory

Bookmarks & Social Networks