Packwood National Tour - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace



Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Racing Discussions > Autocross Racing

Autocross Racing The place to discuss information about autocross stats, tips and events. Track sanctioned events only.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2011, 11:12 AM   #11
mellephants
omn-nom-nomnomnomnom
 
mellephants's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Fan#: 52400
Location: Urbana, IL
What I Drive: 12 SE, 91 DR350S, 74 CL360

Posts: 2,287
FF Reputation: 12 mellephants Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (15)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GodLovesUgly View Post
thanks for the links.

that would be outstanding if they moved the SVT over to FSP. DSP just does not make sense..
i saw that fast track. i like the new idea of ST(f)
where do you send the letters to? i'd be happy to send one in as i am an svtf owner as well.
From FJ thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkolator View Post
Go here to submit a letter to the SEB.
__________________
SCT PRP FTMFW!
mellephants is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-20-2011, 11:49 AM   #12
wrc_fan
slow
 
wrc_fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Fan#: 11913
Location: Greenville, SC
What I Drive: 03 ZX3 Duratec 08 WRX Hatch

Posts: 1,709
FF Reputation: 23 wrc_fan Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
On the off-topic note of SVT to FSP, I was talking with a SPAC member this weekend, and the possibility of putting all the Foci 2000-2011 on one line in FSP. I told him that it would be a good way to go, not really a worry of an UD/BD uber focus that would become an overdog in the class.
__________________
Parking Lot Hero
2008 WRX daily driver
2003 ZX3 23D Autox Car 42 FSP

"Hella Functional - Raced, Not Hard Parked"
wrc_fan is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 01:06 PM   #13
mellephants
omn-nom-nomnomnomnom
 
mellephants's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Fan#: 52400
Location: Urbana, IL
What I Drive: 12 SE, 91 DR350S, 74 CL360

Posts: 2,287
FF Reputation: 12 mellephants Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (15)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrc_fan View Post
On the off-topic note of SVT to FSP, I was talking with a SPAC member this weekend, and the possibility of putting all the Foci 2000-2011 on one line in FSP. I told him that it would be a good way to go, not really a worry of an UD/BD uber focus that would become an overdog in the class.
True, I can't think of any reason not to do that. I'm not very familiar with UD/BD, but would that allow SVTF's to do MTX75 swap? That could be good for longevity reasons, and for slightly better gearing. If my trans ever fails, my wallet would much rather swap to a MTX75 than buy a replacement Getrag.
__________________
SCT PRP FTMFW!
mellephants is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 01:14 PM   #14
wrc_fan
slow
 
wrc_fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Fan#: 11913
Location: Greenville, SC
What I Drive: 03 ZX3 Duratec 08 WRX Hatch

Posts: 1,709
FF Reputation: 23 wrc_fan Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
^^ That's right, as long as the model years are on the same line, you can Update/Backdate a particular car with parts from another year and/or model. This is as long as the modifications required to make the change are possible within the street prepared rule set. So yeah, you could put an MTX75 in a an SVT if all the foci would be on the same line.

I think the D23 engine still has the advantage with the changes allowed within street prepared, but I think both engines remain close.
__________________
Parking Lot Hero
2008 WRX daily driver
2003 ZX3 23D Autox Car 42 FSP

"Hella Functional - Raced, Not Hard Parked"
wrc_fan is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 02:07 PM   #15
GodLovesUgly
.Flat Out.
 
GodLovesUgly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Fan#: 56705
Location: LearNing., UT
What I Drive: ^^^ That!

Posts: 4,763
FF Reputation: 10 GodLovesUgly Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
i always wanted to build an FSP car, and with out a doubt i would go with the d23 for that. the low end power of the dura is very nice. my zx3 has the d20 and i can break the tires loose with ease!
in my SVT, not so much..
__________________
The Rich Get Richer Until The Poor Get Educated.
Do Vegetarians eat Animal Crackers?
Moderator of Ford Focus Racing Discussions & Rocky Mountain Fanatics
GodLovesUgly is online now  
    Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 03:50 PM   #16
mellephants
omn-nom-nomnomnomnom
 
mellephants's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Fan#: 52400
Location: Urbana, IL
What I Drive: 12 SE, 91 DR350S, 74 CL360

Posts: 2,287
FF Reputation: 12 mellephants Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (15)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GodLovesUgly View Post
i always wanted to build an FSP car, and with out a doubt i would go with the d23 for that. the low end power of the dura is very nice. my zx3 has the d20 and i can break the tires loose with ease!
in my SVT, not so much..
Exactly. I couldn't believe the difference from my car when I ran Pete's wagon at autocross, and it is just a zetec with cams/compression that give it a lower/broader powerband than the SVTF. I had wheelspin everywhere, using the same wheels/tires that I used on my car all that season with no wheelspin problems. We both have Torsens, too. I'm flat out on just about every corner exit, but I'm just sitting there waiting, lol. Not much happens at 3k, and not much you can do about that. Grabbing 1st gear is usually just too unsettling. Short wheel/tire combos help a bit, but the SVTF's tall powerband and tall gearing is just too far from ideal for autocross. At least it is fun to daily. Compared to my car, Pete's wagon just kind of falls on its face after 4k, which would annoy me on the street.

Damn this thread is getting OT
__________________
SCT PRP FTMFW!
mellephants is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 04:00 PM   #17
mellephants
omn-nom-nomnomnomnom
 
mellephants's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Fan#: 52400
Location: Urbana, IL
What I Drive: 12 SE, 91 DR350S, 74 CL360

Posts: 2,287
FF Reputation: 12 mellephants Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (15)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mellephants View Post
Exactly. I couldn't believe the difference from my car when I ran Pete's wagon at autocross, and it is just a zetec with cams/compression that give it a lower/broader powerband than the SVTF. I had wheelspin everywhere, using the same wheels/tires that I used on my car all that season with no wheelspin problems. We both have Torsens, too. I'm flat out on just about every corner exit, but I'm just sitting there waiting, lol. Not much happens at 3k, and not much you can do about that. Grabbing 1st gear is usually just too unsettling. Short wheel/tire combos help a bit, but the SVTF's tall powerband and tall gearing is just too far from ideal for autocross. At least it is fun to daily. Compared to my car, Pete's wagon just kind of falls on its face after 4k, which would annoy me on the street.

Damn this thread is getting OT
This is part of why I am so impressed at Bill Zerr's driving. Really awesome to win over a field of Mini's and 3's. Way to go, again, guy
__________________
SCT PRP FTMFW!
mellephants is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 04:41 PM   #18
GodLovesUgly
.Flat Out.
 
GodLovesUgly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Fan#: 56705
Location: LearNing., UT
What I Drive: ^^^ That!

Posts: 4,763
FF Reputation: 10 GodLovesUgly Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
if i started thread can i allow it to be off topic?? haha.

do you ever pull yourself back and forth towards the steering wheel trying to generate more speed out of corners?? ya know, trying to get the momentum going again?? haha i do this every so often and people look at me like i'm nuts!

i tried downshifting a few times, and the car just doesn't respond well to that. plus i've heard it actually adds time when you downshift.
__________________
The Rich Get Richer Until The Poor Get Educated.
Do Vegetarians eat Animal Crackers?
Moderator of Ford Focus Racing Discussions & Rocky Mountain Fanatics
GodLovesUgly is online now  
    Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 05:20 PM   #19
mellephants
omn-nom-nomnomnomnom
 
mellephants's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Fan#: 52400
Location: Urbana, IL
What I Drive: 12 SE, 91 DR350S, 74 CL360

Posts: 2,287
FF Reputation: 12 mellephants Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (15)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GodLovesUgly View Post
if i started thread can i allow it to be off topic?? haha.

do you ever pull yourself back and forth towards the steering wheel trying to generate more speed out of corners?? ya know, trying to get the momentum going again?? haha i do this every so often and people look at me like i'm nuts!

i tried downshifting a few times, and the car just doesn't respond well to that. plus i've heard it actually adds time when you downshift.
That's funny, haha... Coming out of corners is when I often start conversations with passengers about what is going on. "So, this is where I hate my motor. Anyway, I'm going to try that offset gate up there without lifting this time, we'll see how it goes." ... and etc. Lol
__________________
SCT PRP FTMFW!
mellephants is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 10:38 AM   #20
fighing2succeed
Focus Jr. Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Fan#: 81338
Location: Edmonton, Canada
What I Drive: 02 Red SVTF

Posts: 37
FF Reputation: 1 fighing2succeed Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zewerr View Post
I'm running 225/40 Hoosiers. They are slightly short than the stock size which helps alitte with the SVT's tall gears. Ian Basford, who was at the PW NT last year was running 245/40 Hoosiers on his SVT without rubbing as well, but I'm not too much of a fan of that size since it would be taller than stock. A good set of struts or an H&R front bar eliminates rubbing as well.
I'm pretty sure that Ian said that he ran the 225/45 Hoosiers.
fighing2succeed is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:27 AM.


Copyright 2002-2014 FocusFanatics.com. All Rights Reserved : Terms of Use : Privacy Policy : Advertise Information : Site Map

Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forum offers many fun ways for you to engage with other Ford Focus Owners from across the world. Whether it be about the aftermarket performance modifications, technical how-to's, European tuned suspension or awesome fuel economy similar to the Acura TLX or Fiesta ST. You can find all Ford Focus and Focus ST related information here. Join our Ford Focus discussion forums and chat with local Focus enthusiasts in your area.