Issues with new 2012 Ford Focus - Page 4 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-19-2011, 06:20 PM   #31
Old TU
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 87303
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black SEL 5 Door

FF Reputation: 1 Old TU Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Offrddrver,

How many miles do you have on your car? You state 90% of your driving is highway. Your car probably hasn't worn in yet. Letting the engine stay at one RPM doesn't allow the engine to let the rings seat properly.

I believe it is the EPA that calculates the MPG's.

I suggest you read pages 358 & 359 0f your owners manual.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2011, 10:43 AM   #32
Offrddrver
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 88002
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Metalic Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 1 Offrddrver Good Standing Member
Old Tu,

Well, the manual reading was enlightening, but I'm already knowledgeable of all the information listed on these two pages. I've been doing this for years.

The car is now at 2065 miles today. I'm still waiting for that 1000 mile break in to work as Ford noted in the service bulletin they gave me after my first shop visit. As noted, my current driving is more erratic to help break in the car's transmission (and KILL my gas milage even more.)

Just to prove I'm a "gas saving" driver, I was getting 26.2 to 29.1 MPG in a 1999 Ford Taurus with 24Valve V6 and 133000 miles. I'm driving the exact route to work as I do with this 2012 Focus. The www.Fueleconomy.gov lists the 1999 Ford Taurus as 17c 25h 20mpg combined. My driving style beat those estimates. I would hope with my driving style that this little 4 banger should be up near the 35 to 37 mpg range. Every fuel stop is logged, every fuel stop is the same fill up method and odometer reset routine. It is as close as a Semiconductor Engineer can get to calculating mpg on this car without adding his own sensors. HA HA

Back to the Transmission issue...
I just want FORD to step up and get this trans issue fixed as I'm fed up with getting ditched by Ford on issues that they should fix. Remember I'm once bitten due to FORD ditching my $36,000 SUV issue at 12000 miles when it was purchased at 36 miles NEW. If FORD ditches me on this issue I will NEVER buy another FORD again. I've bled Blue Oval blood since I was 15 years old even when nearly all my friends were Chevy fans.
I also bleed Red White and Blue and frankly get pissed that so many people buy Japan and Korean vehicles. But, if FORD can't get this fixed I will never give them another penny let alone $27,000.00 for an Economy car that doesn't run right.

Sorry for such a long post, but I'm getting sick of this transmission issue and Ford ditching me as a loyal customer.

Last note, I'll be quick to reply if this Transmission does FIX itself or learn my driving style. 2000+ and waiting! I guess my car was one of the school girl dropouts as she isn't learning very quickly.

Just to note, my dealer has been working with me, they have not ditched me, but Ford has nothing to help them, so how can they help me!
Old 07-20-2011, 11:12 AM   #33
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Offrddrver,

Your long-term support of Ford is appreciated. I know you are frustrated with your transmission issues, and I am here to help. Please PM me with your VIN, contact information, mileage, and servicing dealer name/state and I will work with you to resolve your concerns.

~Natasha

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford
Old 07-20-2011, 12:39 PM   #34
Old TU
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 87303
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black SEL 5 Door

FF Reputation: 1 Old TU Good Standing Member
Offrddrver,

Thanks for the reply. Looks like Natasha @ Ford Service is stepping in to help you. I hope as miles go by your MPG's will get better. As for the transmission concerns mine isn't completely smooth or quiet. But it isn't lurching forward or grinding. I have accepted the fact that it is different than the automatics of old.

These DC transmissions are supposed to be more efficient, lighter weight and the first service @ 150K. My previous car a 2006 Scion xB had a 1.5L engine was several hundred pounds lighter than the Focus and its mileage was 24 city and on extended trips in the low thirties. Most of my driving is around town. I am happy I am getting 27-28 MPG's around town with a more powerful and comfortable car.

I have driven Taurus's as rental cars and their transmissions are silky smooth. I don't think our DCT will ever be that smooth. I hope Ford does continue to support all who are concerned and teach the sales and service people at the dealership level how to explain and demonstrate the difference in the transmissions.

Fortunately I had a sales person that was a gear head like myself that let me know this transmission wasn't like the Camry's I had ridden in the past.
Old 07-20-2011, 02:10 PM   #35
Focus3721
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 88029
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 Focus3721 Good Standing Member
I now have 3615 miles on my Focus and if anything the transmission problem is getting worse, maybe it is time Ford owns up to a bigger issue here.
Old 07-20-2011, 05:03 PM   #36
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focus3721 View Post
I now have 3615 miles on my Focus and if anything the transmission problem is getting worse, maybe it is time Ford owns up to a bigger issue here.
Hi Focus3721,

Have you taken your Focus in to be diagnosed at the dealer? They are in the best position to determine the cause of your transmission concerns. Please private message me with your VIN, contact information, mileage, and servicing dealer name/state and I will assist with your issue as well.

Old TU,

Thanks for your support!

~Natasha

Old 07-21-2011, 08:12 AM   #37
Nutty 5.0
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 81405
What I Drive: 2005 ZX3 SE Sonic Blue 5spd

FF Reputation: 1 Nutty 5.0 Good Standing Member
Hopefully this issue gets resolved for you guys. We just put order in for SE sedan with manual. I know when I got me 2010 F150 they had similar issues but drive time after 3-5k seemed to help a lot.
1993 Mustang Featured in MM/FF and 5.0 and Super Ford Magazine SOLD - 2003 Cobra SOLD
Old 07-27-2011, 07:42 PM   #38
bstall69
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 88262
What I Drive: 2012 Burgundy Focus

FF Reputation: 1 bstall69 Good Standing Member
I received my 2012 Ford Focus in May. I noticed every symptom described in this post. My car now has over 6,000 miles and the symptoms seem to be getting worse. Stop and go traffic really seems to confuse the transmission. There are times where the transmission just seems to have a dead spot, I really have to move the accelerator pedal near the floor to get a response. It's starting to scare me with my children in the car.
Old 07-28-2011, 11:18 AM   #39
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstall69 View Post
I received my 2012 Ford Focus in May. I noticed every symptom described in this post. My car now has over 6,000 miles and the symptoms seem to be getting worse. Stop and go traffic really seems to confuse the transmission. There are times where the transmission just seems to have a dead spot, I really have to move the accelerator pedal near the floor to get a response. It's starting to scare me with my children in the car.
Hi bstall69,

Have you taken your Focus in to the dealer for diagnosis? They will be best able to ease your worries. Please PM me with your VIN, contact information, mileage, & servicing dealer name/state and I will assist.

~Natasha

Old 07-28-2011, 05:06 PM   #40
IMACHU
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 88288
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 1 IMACHU Good Standing Member
Same issue here with wife's focus 8000 miles on it and still has this transmission issue. I guess we have to wait for the tsb,s to come out so Ford will look into it more..it,s not a break in issue at 8000 miles!

Bookmarks & Social Networks