Alternater Replacement On 2004 Ford Focus Zetec - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-20-2011, 11:01 AM   #1
mbadawi23
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 84599
What I Drive: 2004 Green Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 mbadawi23 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Alternater Replacement On 2004 Ford Focus Zetec

Hello All,

I wanted to share my experience replacing an alternator on my 2004 Ford Focus Zetec 2.0L DOHC.

It was a pain. So, keep in mind it is not an easy job, but it is doable. I'm not what you call an expert.

Time required: at least two hours.

Here we go:
  1. Remove the battery ground cable.
  2. Raise the front of the car on two jacks.
  3. Remove the splash cover from the under side of the engine exposing the accessory belt.
  4. Remove the accessory belt by pulling on the tensioner pulley clockwise using a 15mm wrench or a breaker bar.
  5. Remove the coolant (antifreeze) reservoir.
  6. Remove the power steering reservoir and push out of the way.
  7. Remove the wire loom bracket and disconnect and push out of the way.
  8. Remove the ground lead and bend the bracket down out of the way.
  9. Unbolt three bolts holding the engine mount to the passenger fender.
  10. With a pry bar or wood 2x4 (I used a pry bar), leverage the engine forward towards the radiator. Be careful not to scratch any paint or to push the engine too far and damage the radiator or fan.
  11. Put a bolt back in an empty engine mount thread so it does not move back in place.
  12. Unbolt the alternator bolt closest to the engine halfway out (Not fully disengaged). Then with a hammer, tap the bolt few times to loosen the alternator from its grip on the bracket..
  13. Do the same with the second alternator bolt near the firewall. Then unbolt until fully disengaged. This bolt will not come all the way out at this point.
  14. Remove the alternator by maneuvering it to get the ears near the firewall clear first, then clear ears near the engine next.
  15. Disconnect alternator wiring.
  16. Now the alternator is free. Move the alternator upwards so the pulley is facing you then remove from car.
  17. Before installing the replacement alternator, screw in one bolt to each thread and tap on it with a hammer few times to make installing to bracket fit easier.
  18. Install the rest in reverse order.

This is my Focus with every thing out of the way.

This is the engine pushed forward. Notice the engine mount.

This is the alternator unbolted but still in place. Notice the second bolt cannot come all the way out.

Have fun.

Acknowledgment: I had a great help from a friend who has more experience than me. So, thank you, Friend.

Disclaimer: Those instructions are provided with no warranty. Do at your own risk. I provided those to share my experience.

Bookmarks & Social Networks