Manual trans in 08-11 - Page 5 - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Model Specific Discussions > MK2 Focus

MK2 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the second generation 2008-2011 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-13-2011, 10:57 AM   #41
badazz2010focus
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 78166
What I Drive: 2010 ingot silver 2 dr 5 speed

FF Reputation: 7 badazz2010focus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Actually ground third
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2011, 11:41 AM   #42
badazz2010focus
Focus Fanatic

Kinda sucks but the weird part is its only when I'm banging the system loud that I notice it have any of you had this problem
Old 07-13-2011, 11:45 AM   #43
badazz2010focus
Focus Fanatic

No I'm stock the only thing I have done is a fswerks air intake but like I stated before I ground third before s few times because my clutch wasn't all the way in and also I bent down to get something in the passenger side footwell and I bumped it into third almost without putting the,clutch in griiiiinnnnd!
Old 07-14-2011, 07:10 PM   #44
Thermal
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 73810
What I Drive: 2008 Pitch Black S

FF Reputation: 1 Thermal Good Standing Member
I have the 5 speed in my coupe. A primary reason I bought it. I like the sense of controlling the car rather than pointing it in some direction and letting the car figure the rest out. That's not driving to me. I had the shift points adjusted when I dyno'd it. It was more responsive but I finally got what I was looking for when I installed a 16 oz stainless ball knob from TMW. The knob acts like a counterweight and the shifts are quick, clean and decisive. It has a sports car feel that cancels out the experience of my commute.
Old 07-14-2011, 08:45 PM   #45
Quanny
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 52439
What I Drive: 2010 Silver SE

FF Reputation: 1 Quanny Good Standing Member
Personally, i would have bought a 5 speed, but, alas, i was stuck with my daily rental automatic...

this one is a 2010, but i had two other 2008's, 1 was a daily rental, the other an off lease, blew both automatic trans, inwhich they do not like any sort of roughness at all...

but from what im reading, the 5 speeds dont like any roughness either?
Old 07-14-2011, 08:49 PM   #46
john m.
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 55541
What I Drive: 2008 Focus SES Vista Blue 5 speed

FF Reputation: 0 john m. Newbie
I ordered the Steeda short shift for my 08 today! The tracking says it will be here in Wisconsin the 15Th! THATS FAST SHIPPING!. I hope the Steeda is a little better then the stock shifter. I have read about auto trans problems in the 08-10 focus. I haven't had any trouble with the 5 speed at all! works as good as it did when new. I am hoping the Steeda makes it even better.
Old 07-14-2011, 08:53 PM   #47
2011 SE
Focus Addict

Fan#: 80951
What I Drive: 2011 SE

FF Reputation: 8 2011 SE Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
I have the 5 speed in my coupe. A primary reason I bought it. I like the sense of controlling the car rather than pointing it in some direction and letting the car figure the rest out. That's not driving to me. It has a sports car feel that cancels out the experience of my commute.
Word.
Autobots decal over Ford emblems
Flat black TFB Designs hood stripes
Old 07-15-2011, 10:45 AM   #48
StangGTT
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 79886
What I Drive: 2010 Focus SES, 2000 Mustang GT

FF Reputation: 1 StangGTT Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quanny View Post
Personally, i would have bought a 5 speed, but, alas, i was stuck with my daily rental automatic...

this one is a 2010, but i had two other 2008's, 1 was a daily rental, the other an off lease, blew both automatic trans, inwhich they do not like any sort of roughness at all...

but from what im reading, the 5 speeds dont like any roughness either?
I am what people call a "spirited" driver. I've put 30k hard miles on mine and it works perfectly. I think somebody just doesn't shift correctly (no offense)

Its just that a manual trans issue is rare and especially with a stock engine. They just don't put out enough power to do damage on their own. Since I haven't heard of anyone else having issues with theirs and he had several, its safe to say driver error is to blame I think.
2003 SVTF #1496
2008 Lincoln MKX

SOLD:#013 2010 SES and 2004 Mazda 6s
Old 07-15-2011, 12:21 PM   #49
Quanny
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 52439
What I Drive: 2010 Silver SE

FF Reputation: 1 Quanny Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by StangGTT View Post
I am what people call a "spirited" driver. I've put 30k hard miles on mine and it works perfectly. I think somebody just doesn't shift correctly (no offense)

Its just that a manual trans issue is rare and especially with a stock engine. They just don't put out enough power to do damage on their own. Since I haven't heard of anyone else having issues with theirs and he had several, its safe to say driver error is to blame I think.
Its quite possible that i did the damage to it, but there's some factors to take into consideration though... (This is about automatic trans)

The first 2008 i owned, this was the daily rental, it was at 42,000 kilometers, owned it almost 2 weeks, the motor started revving higher than normal, put it in park, and bam, it was locked in every gear, would not move at all... (found out later the planetary gears blew up) (this is also the time i found out about the little shifter side button that turns overdrive off and i had just started using it)

The second 2008 i owned, this one was the off lease, i got it at 40,000 kilometers, owned it for almost 2 years, i never touched that overdrive button until about the last week before the trans blew up, this time it was at 115,000 kilometers, the trans was grinding like hell, had no reverse, forward gears worked still but it kept engaging and disengaging while driving...

This second 2008 was not a cheap repair bill, it was $3000, (some bushing let go and all the gears got chewed up) and the car still had issues, (idling issues, electrical issues, radio control issues, suspension issue where it would eat the front drivers side tire rapidly) so i traded that one in for the 2010...

Both instances it seems like it happened soon after using the overdrive switch, that being said, im never using that bloody switch ever again, and i believe its the culprit somewhere around the line..
Old 07-15-2011, 01:52 PM   #50
StangGTT
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 79886
What I Drive: 2010 Focus SES, 2000 Mustang GT

FF Reputation: 1 StangGTT Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quanny View Post
Its quite possible that i did the damage to it, but there's some factors to take into consideration though... (This is about automatic trans)

The first 2008 i owned, this was the daily rental, it was at 42,000 kilometers, owned it almost 2 weeks, the motor started revving higher than normal, put it in park, and bam, it was locked in every gear, would not move at all... (found out later the planetary gears blew up) (this is also the time i found out about the little shifter side button that turns overdrive off and i had just started using it)

The second 2008 i owned, this one was the off lease, i got it at 40,000 kilometers, owned it for almost 2 years, i never touched that overdrive button until about the last week before the trans blew up, this time it was at 115,000 kilometers, the trans was grinding like hell, had no reverse, forward gears worked still but it kept engaging and disengaging while driving...

This second 2008 was not a cheap repair bill, it was $3000, (some bushing let go and all the gears got chewed up) and the car still had issues, (idling issues, electrical issues, radio control issues, suspension issue where it would eat the front drivers side tire rapidly) so i traded that one in for the 2010...

Both instances it seems like it happened soon after using the overdrive switch, that being said, im never using that bloody switch ever again, and i believe its the culprit somewhere around the line..
My guess is that wasn't that you pushed the button so much as what you did afterwards. lol Just a guess

Plus, I was really referring to the obviously younger dude that has destroyed three manual transmissions with a stock engine. I still have no idea how one could do that in such a new car. Unless it was a competition car or something.
2003 SVTF #1496
2008 Lincoln MKX

SOLD:#013 2010 SES and 2004 Mazda 6s

Bookmarks & Social Networks