Adding backup camera - Page 3 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-10-2011, 03:15 PM   #21
cuke2u
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 87358
What I Drive: It's in my sig..

FF Reputation: 2 cuke2u Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Hi, this thread is of interest to me, here in the UK as we neither have the camera as an option nor MFT as all we have is DAB radio/CD's at present. Now on the C-Max, based upon the Mk3 Focus, there is a option to have a Sony system with a camera, thus I am interested in how a camera might be connected up.
Chris
18" 5 Spoke Alloy Wheels
Manual 6-speed gearbox,,,
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2011, 07:01 PM   #22
EddieWinslow
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86598
What I Drive: 2012 Race Red SEL Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 EddieWinslow Good Standing Member
has anyone looked into this more? the backup camera is something id really like to add and incorporate into the MFT screen.
Old 07-11-2011, 11:41 PM   #23
Titanium12
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86295
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 Titanium12 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieWinslow View Post
has anyone looked into this more? the backup camera is something id really like to add and incorporate into the MFT screen.
Me too.
Delivery Date: June 29, 2011
Old 07-12-2011, 08:00 AM   #24
eric8784
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 86785
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black SEL

FF Reputation: 1 eric8784 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieWinslow View Post
I contacted a few dealerships near me and none of them said they thought it was possible. But they didn't seem to care enough to do any real research. I contacted Ford and they just kept telling me to contact a local dealer, even after I told them I contacted three already.
Old 07-12-2011, 08:31 AM   #25
mysticbluebmw
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85252
What I Drive: 2013 Accord EX-L V6 w/Navi

FF Reputation: 1 mysticbluebmw Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotleadsingerguy View Post
lol it's not a high-res screen at *all*. It's 800x398 if I'm not mistaken. That's less than any smartphone that you can buy on the planet.

The camera probably records at like 640x480 (which is standard television resolution and not high-res by any means). I doubt you'd be able to find many cameras that record at a lower resolution.
Lol, you're funny. I don't know about you, but the MFT in my car is not the size of a TV. It's about the highest res screen to ever come out of a factory on any production vehicle. In contrast it's roughly 4-5 times the resolution of that in my BMW or any of my previous autos as well as yours. If you have nav, you should be awe stricken at the amount of detail this screen shows. I doubt you're finding backup cam with 640x480 AND the proper lens to match. The sensor in the cam may be capable but if the lens is crap, so will the be the output on the screen. Oh, and just between you and me, it *doesn't* actually record anything...

Now with that said, it's really not that big of deal anyway. As long as you can what's behind you, that's all that matters. Never mind too much about what I may have said in my earlier post, it's not like your watching movies play out behind your car or anything :)

Laguna Seca Pedals
Old 07-12-2011, 09:56 AM   #26
completely_focused
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86510
What I Drive: 2012 Ingot Silver Ford Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 1 completely_focused Good Standing Member
Mystic likes his NAV.

800x378 resolution in an eight inch format is pretty high res in my book. I don't know what the stock camera specs are but I don't really care as long as I have a wide angle view of what's behind me while backing up.
Old 07-12-2011, 10:01 AM   #27
csvt2060
Focus Addict

Fan#: 84122
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Escape Titanium

FF Reputation: 2 csvt2060 Good Standing Member
This isn't as easy as plugging in a camera to the back of the head unit.

Confirmed in the shop manual: There is a camera interface module located in the trunk area of the car. That interface goes into a harness that leads up front to the head unit harness. Then, MyFord Touch needs to have the software loaded to the as built version with rear view camera.
Old 07-12-2011, 10:20 AM   #28
eric8784
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by csvt2060 View Post
This isn't as easy as plugging in a camera to the back of the head unit.

Confirmed in the shop manual: There is a camera interface module located in the trunk area of the car. That interface goes into a harness that leads up front to the head unit harness. Then, MyFord Touch needs to have the software loaded to the as built version with rear view camera.
So do you know if the interface module is part number 19H405? I was able to locate this and the camera (19G490) on fordparts.com. Would just these two pieces (along with the software update to MFT) be all that is required? Thanks for all your help!

Last edited by eric8784; 07-12-2011 at 10:22 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-12-2011, 10:34 AM   #29
completely_focused
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86510
What I Drive: 2012 Ingot Silver Ford Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 1 completely_focused Good Standing Member
I am not trying to make a fully functional backup camera per the manual. Just looking for simple video. Every display unit on the planet has video input otherwise what good would it be. Hook a camera up to video in and and apply power from the reverse lights wiring and it should work.

I have some video test equipment at work and I should be able to test the ability of the system to accept a display pattern or not. The software just switches inputs to the video and engages the rear sensors.
Old 07-12-2011, 10:52 AM   #30
eric8784
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by completely_focused View Post
I am not trying to make a fully functional backup camera per the manual. Just looking for simple video. Every display unit on the planet has video input otherwise what good would it be. Hook a camera up to video in and and apply power from the reverse lights wiring and it should work.

I have some video test equipment at work and I should be able to test the ability of the system to accept a display pattern or not. The software just switches inputs to the video and engages the rear sensors.
Are you speaking of using the RCA input in the armrest? I thought that I read on here that it will only work while in park.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.