Daytime running lights (DRL) - Page 3 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-25-2011, 05:53 PM   #21
DanGG
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 86035
What I Drive: 1998 tan chevy Prizm

FF Reputation: 1 DanGG Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
The SJB is the Smart Junction Box.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2011, 07:09 PM   #22
Tony407
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85289
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray Hatch Titanium

FF Reputation: 4 Tony407 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGG View Post
Great! Where do you get them? How hard are they to install?
carbulbsdirect.com They're in Europe, but the shipping was surprisingly fast - and free I might add.

Install wasn't too bad, but I wouldn't call it easy. Time consuming is more like it. But only because I had to keep trimming the plastic in the grill until they fit "just right". And the bracket they are supposed to be mounted in wouldn't fit so I used 3M double sided tape on both the top and bottom of the housing so they wouldn't go anywhere. Wiring was easy, although I haven't hooked up the wire to switch them off when the lights come on yet, but I can't imagine it will be that hard.

The easiest place to have installed them would have been right below the blue Ford oval, spaced as far apart as possible. But I didn't like the way they looked there. But the install would have been about a quarter of the time.

Tony
Old 06-12-2011, 08:51 PM   #23
cobie56
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 84403
What I Drive: '01 ZX3, '14 Civic XL '12 SEL

FF Reputation: 2 cobie56 Good Standing Member
DRLs ARE available on foci and most other fords.. I had the dealer turn my on at delivery. Ford's owner's manual says they work at 'reduced light' but to me they seem full power.
anyone w/ another opinion?
Old 06-12-2011, 08:58 PM   #24
Josh321
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85263
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium 5-door

FF Reputation: 1 Josh321 Good Standing Member
What do you mean "turn them on"? What did they do to activate them? Did your car have them listed as an option on the window sticker? They are listed as an option on the full options list, so I tried to order them, but I was told they were only available for fleet orders.
Old 07-10-2011, 07:51 PM   #25
cobie56
Focus Fanatic

I'm not sure why the dealer said they weren't avail. I had the dealer activate mine tho i'm not sure they did it correctly... The h'lights do go on but so do all the other lights, side marker, licence plate, tail lights, etc.
Is this normal??!! It doesn't seem right to me.
I live very close to canada and the canadian fords (all of them) have DRLs by law and ONLY the h'lights are on... no other lights.
Any opinions? thnx
Old 07-10-2011, 09:23 PM   #26
Josh321
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85263
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium 5-door

FF Reputation: 1 Josh321 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobie56 View Post
I'm not sure why the dealer said they weren't avail. I had the dealer activate mine tho i'm not sure they did it correctly... The h'lights do go on but so do all the other lights, side marker, licence plate, tail lights, etc.
Is this normal??!! It doesn't seem right to me.
I live very close to canada and the canadian fords (all of them) have DRLs by law and ONLY the h'lights are on... no other lights.
Any opinions? thnx
I asked for my dealer to "activate" them, and this was exactly the result. I later learned that all of the interior lights (switch backlights, essentially) are always lit, but my when my dealer supposedly turned on the DRL's, I had all exterior lights on at all times--and I couldn't turn the fog lights on or the headlights off (as long as the engine was running). NOT DRL's.

I later installed the Philips DRL's and have been very happy with them.
Old 07-11-2011, 07:48 PM   #27
cobie56
Focus Fanatic

the owner's manual (and other sources )say that the DRLs can be activated
which i had done but nowhere does it say all my lights are on all the time..which doesn't seem correct.
All my exterior lights are on , including the license plate light, when the car is running.
Whats really odd is that fords in canada where DRLs are mandatory and standard have ONLY the headlights on... no other lights.
As well, the manual says the lights are on at reduced power however when, in the dark, i switch from DRLs to reg. headlights i see no difference so i say the DRL headlights are on full power all the time.

To my thinking DRLs should be headlights only not the other lights...What's ur opinion or experience?
Old 11-17-2011, 07:43 AM   #28
fortresspainting
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 91881
What I Drive: 2012 Race Red SEL

Points 6, Level 1
Points: 6, Level: 1 Points: 6, Level: 1 Points: 6, Level: 1
Level Up 11% Completed
Level up: 11% Level up: 11% Level up: 11%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 fortresspainting Good Standing Member
I just purchased a US 2012 Focus and imported it to Canada. Federal law up here requires daytime running lights or you cannot register/insure the car.

I knew this beforehand, so I asked the dealer to look at the car and see if they could activate the DRL - they were unable to do so. No exact reason was given except that they contacted Ford and were told it was not possible.

I imported the car and took it to my dealer for the same reason - activate the DRLs: they initially claimed it was a setting in the car's computer and it would be no problem.

They tried for about an hour to figure it out - called Ford - and were told the software set-up was different on US cars and DRLs could not be activated.

Now, I am forced to go with an aftermarket option.

None too happy about this. Anyone out there have a similar experience. I am not convinced that they cannot be activated. This is primarily because I don't feel I've been given a reasonable explanation as to why they cannot turn them on.
Old 11-17-2011, 08:39 AM   #29
e350 coupe
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 84808
What I Drive: 2010 E-350 Coupe/2012 Titanium Htbk

FF Reputation: 5 e350 coupe Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fortresspainting View Post
I just purchased a US 2012 Focus and imported it to Canada. Federal law up here requires daytime running lights or you cannot register/insure the car.

I knew this beforehand, so I asked the dealer to look at the car and see if they could activate the DRL - they were unable to do so. No exact reason was given except that they contacted Ford and were told it was not possible.

I imported the car and took it to my dealer for the same reason - activate the DRLs: they initially claimed it was a setting in the car's computer and it would be no problem.

They tried for about an hour to figure it out - called Ford - and were told the software set-up was different on US cars and DRLs could not be activated.

Now, I am forced to go with an aftermarket option.

None too happy about this. Anyone out there have a similar experience. I am not convinced that they cannot be activated. This is primarily because I don't feel I've been given a reasonable explanation as to why they cannot turn them on.
What dealer are you going to. It has been done by other forum members in the US. I would try a different dealer such as WhiteRock Ford.

If you got to the "DRL site" even they state the 2012 DRL is computer programable for on or off

http://www.lightsout.org/disable.html#Ford

Ford

2012+ models. It appears that DRLs are a configurable option on the vehicle's computer. A Ford dealer should be able to connect to the OBD port on the vehicle and disable the DRLs. The aftermarket may also have tuners that can connect to the computer with the ability to disable DRLs.
Old 11-17-2011, 08:50 AM   #30
RallyGuy66
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91825
What I Drive: 2012, Race Red Focus Se Sport 5spd

FF Reputation: 1 RallyGuy66 Good Standing Member
Have dealer hook up ids and activate modual. Some fords you can do this, not sure on focus. worth a try

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.