2012 Focus owners - how do you like Powershift tranny so far? - Page 12 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-10-2011, 12:31 PM   #111
baron
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 87533
What I Drive: 2012 Ingot Silver SE Sport

FF Reputation: 1 baron Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
definite improvement at 1500 miles

I put in 87 gas this last fill up and I feel a major difference in acceleration from a stop and out of slow turns. The transmission seems much more behaved. I think part of it is breaking in and part of it is the 87 gas. I will try different grades of gas as I go and see if I can notice any differences. The hiway wandering is improving as well. I still feel the strange resistance to input occasionally but its getting better as I drive more miles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2011, 01:20 PM   #112
Dgc333
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85422
What I Drive: 2012, candy blue, SEL

Points 748, Level 14
Points: 748, Level: 14 Points: 748, Level: 14 Points: 748, Level: 14
Level Up 48% Completed
Level up: 48% Level up: 48% Level up: 48%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 Dgc333 Good Standing Member
We have just over 1100 miles on our SEL and the tranny had been smooth and trouble free since the get go.

I am using the S mode almost exclusively around town. Instead of trying to shift into the highest gear as quickly as possible S will keep it in a lower gear longer which makes for better throttle response. Also when you take your foot off the gas it downshifts to give you some engine breaking. WOT acceleration in S gives you a more defined firmer shift.

The unexpected plus of using S around town is I have been getting about a 1/2 mpg more in S than D. Our around town in D has been 34.8 and it steadily climbs to 35.2 when using S.
Old 07-10-2011, 01:25 PM   #113
DrkKnight614
GO Green

Fan#: 14522
What I Drive: 2003 2.0L Grabber Green Zx3

FF Reputation: 47 DrkKnight614 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgc333 View Post
We have just over 1100 miles on our SEL and the tranny had been smooth and trouble free since the get go.

I am using the S mode almost exclusively around town. Instead of trying to shift into the highest gear as quickly as possible S will keep it in a lower gear longer which makes for better throttle response. Also when you take your foot off the gas it downshifts to give you some engine breaking. WOT acceleration in S gives you a more defined firmer shift.

The unexpected plus of using S around town is I have been getting about a 1/2 mpg more in S than D. Our around town in D has been 34.8 and it steadily climbs to 35.2 when using S.

Posted via FF Mobile It should also reduce transmission wear for around town. So many times you may not need to shift as much. Also this is big for heavy traffic. I would def throw it in S in bumper to bumper, too frequent does my car up shift then have to down shift immediatly, sometimes causing an unpleasent jerk. If I was driving a 2012 in S, id be able to keep it in 1 and not have to worry. Btw, I test drove an SEL using S mode yesterday, it was fun lol.
Old 07-10-2011, 02:46 PM   #114
CoasterDan
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86083
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE Hatch Tuxedo Black

FF Reputation: 1 CoasterDan Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony407 View Post
I do find it useful for acceleration, but only in terms of S putting the car in a lower gear. However, if left in S mode and after letting the transmission settle into the higher gear(s), I have not noticed any difference in shift points, firmness between shifts, or how fast it downshifts after you put your foot into it. In other words, I find both D and S to be equally lazy - it's just that S mode keeps the car in a lower gear longer so the need to downshift isn't as necessary.

Tony
I understand what you're saying, and I agree with you on all points.

Dan
Old 07-10-2011, 02:47 PM   #115
CoasterDan
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by baron View Post
I put in 87 gas this last fill up and I feel a major difference in acceleration from a stop and out of slow turns. The transmission seems much more behaved. I think part of it is breaking in and part of it is the 87 gas. I will try different grades of gas as I go and see if I can notice any differences. The hiway wandering is improving as well. I still feel the strange resistance to input occasionally but its getting better as I drive more miles.
What grade of gas were you using previously?
Old 07-10-2011, 03:10 PM   #116
Targon
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 81074
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SEL 5-door

FF Reputation: 2 Targon Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by safetyguy14 View Post
I think most of the claims of the transmission "smoothing out" is more people just getting used to the transmission and their brain using some natural kentucky windage to control the machine more finely. A better test would be to let somebody who has never driven the car before try it after you think it has "smoothed out" and see if they have any of the problems of jerkiness at low speed. I'm sure there is a little bit of break-in but nowhere near as drastic as some people have presented.
Ummmm, no, there is a clear "break-in" that happens as you drive the car, and it isn't about "getting used to it". The dual-clutch automatic has a clear jittery feel in a new Focus while driving at LOW(parking lot) speeds, and that is where things smooth out over time. Keep in mind I am not talking about 100-1000 miles worth, I am talking about 120-3000 miles worth of driving has clearly improved things quite a bit. My wife(who doesn't drive my car very often) has noticed that it's better as well.

Now, on the subject of Sport mode vs. regular drive, I suspect that many people have some confusion about what people are talking about. When you accelerate in regular mode, depending on how hard you step on the gas, the car will up-shift more often and more quickly to get better fuel economy(since the car will rev lower in a higher gear). If you really step on the gas, the car won't upshift as quickly since you have given the car the message you want to accelerate faster.

In sport mode, the car will not upshift as quickly, which would improve your acceleration since your car will be revving higher(in the meat of the gear you are in), and this helps with acceleration, at the expense of fuel economy. On the down side, because the car WANTS you to be in the 3000rpm range for better acceleration, when you hit the brakes and are in slower traffic in towns, you will get worse fuel economy.

Most of us are more familiar with an automatic that downshifts only to avoid stalling, so when you slow down in a town, you won't see the engine revving very high, and sport mode goes against this because you are a gear or two lower than you will be at the same speed in normal drive.

As I said, this is all understandable behavior, and I just shift to regular drive mode when I won't be accelerating quickly and want to avoid having my fuel economy go into the toilet. Sport mode has it's place, so does normal mode. The SelectShift where you pick the gears does seem to have a small delay in when I hit the button and when it shifts, but I suspect that is less about how quickly the engine can shift and more about how quickly the car acts on our instructions.
Old 07-11-2011, 11:54 AM   #117
AmishGuy91
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 85045
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 1 AmishGuy91 Good Standing Member
Gotta say I'm quite jealous of anyone that has a smooth accelerating Focus. I'm 2500 miles in and my Titanium is still as jerky/rough as ever during acceleration. Horrible city driving experience IMO. Of course Ford continues to do nothing for me. All I've been told is it could take 5-7k miles to break in and it should "drastically improve".

Just got back from vacation and had an Altima rental car. It was nice to finally drive a car that shifted gears smoothly. Of course my previous 99 Taurus shifted smooth compared to my new Focus.
Old 07-11-2011, 02:36 PM   #118
Bigbot45
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 87124
What I Drive: 2014 Q50 - Formally 2012 Ti Hatch

Points 486, Level 9
Points: 486, Level: 9 Points: 486, Level: 9 Points: 486, Level: 9
Level Up 72% Completed
Level up: 72% Level up: 72% Level up: 72%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 2 Bigbot45 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmishGuy91 View Post
Gotta say I'm quite jealous of anyone that has a smooth accelerating Focus. I'm 2500 miles in and my Titanium is still as jerky/rough as ever during acceleration. Horrible city driving experience IMO. Of course Ford continues to do nothing for me. All I've been told is it could take 5-7k miles to break in and it should "drastically improve".

Just got back from vacation and had an Altima rental car. It was nice to finally drive a car that shifted gears smoothly. Of course my previous 99 Taurus shifted smooth compared to my new Focus.
Sounds to me like Ford is waiting for the transmission to completely fail.

Sent from my Liberty using FF Mobile
1990 Mazda Protege <-- 1986 Subaru GL-10 Turbo
1986 Volvo 240 DL
Old 07-11-2011, 03:38 PM   #119
CoasterDan
Focus Enthusiast

Are there any other dealers you have access to? My car is almost always smooth now with 1400 miles on it. It's a pleasure to drive. 5-7k miles to break in seems like a lot.
Old 07-11-2011, 04:36 PM   #120
safetyguy14
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86232
What I Drive: '12 Grey Metallic Focus Hb Ti

FF Reputation: 1 safetyguy14 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Targon View Post
Ummmm, no, there is a clear "break-in" that happens as you drive the car, and it isn't about "getting used to it". The dual-clutch automatic has a clear jittery feel in a new Focus while driving at LOW(parking lot) speeds, and that is where things smooth out over time. Keep in mind I am not talking about 100-1000 miles worth, I am talking about 120-3000 miles worth of driving has clearly improved things quite a bit. My wife(who doesn't drive my car very often) has noticed that it's better as well.
With manufacturing tolerances as they are, the only true "breaking in" that will occur on an car is the piston rings seating properly and everything getting properly lubricated. Considering we have a dry-clutch DCT in our cars, the need for "breaking in" is even more debatable. We shouldn't let physical realities get in the way of emotional responses though :)

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Tags
dct , powershift