2012 Focus owners - how do you like Powershift tranny so far? - Page 11 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-08-2011, 02:34 PM   #101
Joeywhat
Strichmädchen & Koks

Fan#: 85247
What I Drive: 2014 Mustang 3.7L SGM

Points 7,259, Level 56
Points: 7,259, Level: 56 Points: 7,259, Level: 56 Points: 7,259, Level: 56
Level Up 55% Completed
Level up: 55% Level up: 55% Level up: 55%
Forum Activity 10%
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%
FF Reputation: 11 Joeywhat Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pra2veen View Post
Well, when I am at a standstill (in D) if it's in neutral, shouldn't it Not move forward when I let go of the break? Or doesn't it? <confused>
The clutch engages when the foot is let off the brake.
Hatch Nation #29
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2011, 02:35 PM   #102
Tony407
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85289
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray Hatch Titanium

FF Reputation: 4 Tony407 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Targon View Post
Now, Sports Mode....great for accelerating, but it SUCKS when it comes to downshifts(since the idea is that you will be accelerating again). Again, think about the purpose of sports mode, better acceleration. When you have to down-shift, the sports mode sets it to be revving high so you can quickly accelerate again and it is already in the "meat of gear, so is ready for you to upshift right after you have downshifted". That behavior is NOT good IMO, so what I normally do is go to sport mode for accelerating, then shift it back to regular drive once I have hit the speed I want to be going. If I have to decelerate, sticking with drive is better, so I'll go back to sports mode if I want to quickly accelerate again.
I couldn't disagree more. I find the sport mode to be superior to most other "auto" cars I've owned in terms of downshifting to be in the optimal power range for entering a corner for example. Conversely, I find sport mode to be useless for acceleration per se, other than the fact that it's more likely to be in a lower gear when you need it.

Tony
Old 07-08-2011, 04:52 PM   #103
CoasterDan
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86083
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE Hatch Tuxedo Black

FF Reputation: 1 CoasterDan Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by pra2veen View Post
Now, Sports Mode....great for accelerating, but it SUCKS when it comes to downshifts(since the idea is that you will be accelerating again). Again, think about the purpose of sports mode, better acceleration. When you have to down-shift, the sports mode sets it to be revving high so you can quickly accelerate again and it is already in the "meat of gear, so is ready for you to upshift right after you have downshifted". That behavior is NOT good IMO, so what I normally do is go to sport mode for accelerating, then shift it back to regular drive once I have hit the speed I want to be going. If I have to decelerate, sticking with drive is better, so I'll go back to sports mode if I want to quickly accelerate again.
I agree with Tony407. I think the Sports mode is great for downshifts. It puts you in a lower gear for better acceleration. There's no need to upshift right after you have downshifted. If you want an even lower gear, hit the "-" button, if your car is so-equipped.

Where I disagree with Tony is that I find the Sport mode very useful for acceleration. Yes, if puts you in a lower gear. That's the point. And if Sport gives you 3rd gear, for example, and you need even more acceleration, hit the - button and get more acceleration in second gear.

It all works great IMO and isn't any different than how many traditional automatics work. Many cars have a sport mode and + & - functions. The + and - functions are not built into the shift lever, as they are on the Focus (I think the Focus' buttons are more convenient than moving the shift lever), but they work the same way.
Old 07-08-2011, 05:07 PM   #104
safetyguy14
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86232
What I Drive: '12 Grey Metallic Focus Hb Ti

FF Reputation: 1 safetyguy14 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoasterDan View Post
. The + and - functions are not built into the shift lever, as they are on the Focus (I think the Focus' buttons are more convenient than moving the shift lever), but they work the same way.
I disagree. While driving with some spirit, being able to use two hands on the wheel, then change a gear with a fast motion is critical. Popping a stick forward or backward or sideways is about 1029801981029410941890x easier than finding the proper button on the stupid shifter. My first project once I'm out of warrantly is to attempt to re-wire the steering wheel controls so the sync button and the cruise cancel buttons are paddle shifters.
Old 07-08-2011, 05:19 PM   #105
CoasterDan
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86083
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE Hatch Tuxedo Black

FF Reputation: 1 CoasterDan Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by safetyguy14 View Post
I disagree. While driving with some spirit, being able to use two hands on the wheel, then change a gear with a fast motion is critical. Popping a stick forward or backward or sideways is about 1029801981029410941890x easier than finding the proper button on the stupid shifter. My first project once I'm out of warrantly is to attempt to re-wire the steering wheel controls so the sync button and the cruise cancel buttons are paddle shifters.
Well, the Focus is a street car, not a racer. I can't imagine ever driving it so hard that I couldn't find the button on the shifter. I agree with you that in a racing situation that does not simply involve a straight line, the traditional system is probably better. I prefer a "real" manual trans for that kind of driving, however.
Old 07-08-2011, 05:37 PM   #106
me2000
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85106
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 me2000 Good Standing Member
Only have about 100 miles on it and I haven't had any issues at all so far. This car takes off no problem and shifts smoothly for me.
Old 07-08-2011, 05:42 PM   #107
safetyguy14
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86232
What I Drive: '12 Grey Metallic Focus Hb Ti

FF Reputation: 1 safetyguy14 Good Standing Member
I think most of the claims of the transmission "smoothing out" is more people just getting used to the transmission and their brain using some natural kentucky windage to control the machine more finely. A better test would be to let somebody who has never driven the car before try it after you think it has "smoothed out" and see if they have any of the problems of jerkiness at low speed. I'm sure there is a little bit of break-in but nowhere near as drastic as some people have presented.
Old 07-08-2011, 08:30 PM   #108
chantspel
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86521
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SFE Candy Blue

FF Reputation: 1 chantspel Good Standing Member
Anyone without s mode notice that acceleration is kinda delayed? I'm finding myself when needing to Pass that I will hit the gas petal before I even start to move over to the other lane. Normally I would start to turn and accelerate at the same time, but you have to kind of bring the rpms way up before the car starts to move.
Old 07-08-2011, 08:34 PM   #109
Tony407
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chantspel View Post
Anyone without s mode notice that acceleration is kinda delayed? I'm finding myself when needing to Pass that I will hit the gas petal before I even start to move over to the other lane. Normally I would start to turn and accelerate at the same time, but you have to kind of bring the rpms way up before the car starts to move.
It's just as delayed with S mode, believe me.

Tony
Old 07-08-2011, 08:39 PM   #110
Tony407
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoasterDan View Post
Where I disagree with Tony is that I find the Sport mode very useful for acceleration. Yes, if puts you in a lower gear. That's the point. And if Sport gives you 3rd gear, for example, and you need even more acceleration, hit the - button and get more acceleration in second gear.
I do find it useful for acceleration, but only in terms of S putting the car in a lower gear. However, if left in S mode and after letting the transmission settle into the higher gear(s), I have not noticed any difference in shift points, firmness between shifts, or how fast it downshifts after you put your foot into it. In other words, I find both D and S to be equally lazy - it's just that S mode keeps the car in a lower gear longer so the need to downshift isn't as necessary.

Tony

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Tags
dct , powershift