2012 Focus owners - how do you like Powershift tranny so far? - Page 10 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-07-2011, 10:12 AM   #91
tigertiger
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85787
What I Drive: 2004 green ranger; 2012 Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 1 tigertiger Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitaniumFred View Post
Took a quick look in the manual. There's apparently something called Grade Assist which seems to be on all models. When Grade Assist is activated, there's a light that gets illuminated on the dash. It looks like a car on a downhill slope. Note that Grade Assist works for both uphill and downhill driving. You activate it manually by pressing on a button on the left side of the shift lever.
I saw this too, but thought it does not apply to the power shift transmission. The only buttons I see are the up and down shift. No overdrive cancel. And I've never seen the icon of the car on a slope they show on the instrument panel of the dash.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2011, 11:03 AM   #92
TitaniumFred
Focus Addict

Fan#: 86524
What I Drive: 2012 Silver Titanium HB

FF Reputation: 1 TitaniumFred Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigertiger View Post
I saw this too, but thought it does not apply to the power shift transmission. The only buttons I see are the up and down shift. No overdrive cancel. And I've never seen the icon of the car on a slope they show on the instrument panel of the dash.
On our trannys, putting the gear into S mode does the same thing.
Old 07-08-2011, 12:52 AM   #93
tigertiger
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85787
What I Drive: 2004 green ranger; 2012 Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 1 tigertiger Good Standing Member
Okay, I think I figured it out. It only seems to happen when the cruise control is turned on. Maybe it tries to slow the car down by down shifting. This happens in my car even when I've canceled the current setting but the cruise control is still in the on mode. When I was coasting down hills it would downshift when my speed exceeded that which I set on the cruise control. If I canceled the current speed it had no effect, the transmission stayed in a lower gear, rpms high. If I turned the cruise control off entirely it immediately upshifted and rpms dropped.

Finally played around with Sport mode today, also. Very useful when roller coastering up and downs steep hills.
Old 07-08-2011, 12:58 AM   #94
CoasterDan
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86083
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE Hatch Tuxedo Black

FF Reputation: 1 CoasterDan Good Standing Member
Quote:
Okay, I think I figured it out. It only seems to happen when the cruise control is turned on. Maybe it tries to slow the car down by down shifting. This happens in my car even when I've canceled the current setting but the cruise control is still in the on mode. When I was coasting down hills it would downshift when my speed exceeded that which I set on the cruise control. If I canceled the current speed it had no effect, the transmission stayed in a lower gear, rpms high. If I turned the cruise control off entirely it immediately upshifted and rpms dropped.

Finally played around with Sport mode today, also. Very useful when roller coastering up and downs steep hills.
Interesting. Thanks for sharing.

DW
Old 07-08-2011, 08:50 AM   #95
Targon
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 81074
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SEL 5-door

FF Reputation: 2 Targon Good Standing Member
To add to the cruise control "gear" issue, I have also noticed that and it seems to be a software bug(though I have not reported it, I probably should).

Here's the way to experience it yourself:

Go on the highway or any other road that will let you set the cruise control to 60+ miles per hour. Now, with cruise control on, start hitting the - on the cruise control, keep on slowing it down with the cruise control setting, and eventually it will kick it down a gear, but will be revving high, as if it is doing a sports mode downshift.

You can easily get out of that by turning off cruise control(not using the brakes, but just hit the button to turn off cruise control).

That is the ONE problem I have found with my 2012 Focus SEL that does NOT have MyFord Touch. I seem to be one of the few that went with the SEL and decided not to pay extra for the MyFord Touch system.

Now, with 3200 miles on the odometer, the PowerShift Transmission has really smoothed out quite a bit, and that stuttery feel that many have noticed at parking lot speeds is MOSTLY gone at this point. I suspect that it will continue to smooth out since it won't be fully broken in until at least the 10,000 mile mark from what I have heard. Overall it is very good, but the transmission DOES have a bit of roll-back like a manual transmission, so you SHOULD leave some room behind you when you are on a hill and you move your foot from the brake to the gas. Two stepping it to avoid that is a little tricky so I wouldn't advise it.

Now, Sports Mode....great for accelerating, but it SUCKS when it comes to downshifts(since the idea is that you will be accelerating again). Again, think about the purpose of sports mode, better acceleration. When you have to down-shift, the sports mode sets it to be revving high so you can quickly accelerate again and it is already in the "meat of gear, so is ready for you to upshift right after you have downshifted". That behavior is NOT good IMO, so what I normally do is go to sport mode for accelerating, then shift it back to regular drive once I have hit the speed I want to be going. If I have to decelerate, sticking with drive is better, so I'll go back to sports mode if I want to quickly accelerate again.

There are other things to keep in mind, and that is the Torque Vectoring Control and when combined with AdvanceTrac ESC....you get some NICE cornering ability in the car, which works VERY well. Take a SHARP turn after you are at a stop sign, and it really helps with that cornering. I've also gotten some tire squeal from taking turns at higher speeds as well(fully in control of the car of course), so there is a fair bit of fun to be had, even with traction control enabled.
Old 07-08-2011, 10:49 AM   #96
pra2veen
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86954
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE Hatch (Kona Blue)

FF Reputation: 1 pra2veen Good Standing Member
Quote:

From what I know, the car tries to maintain speed (in cruise control) by engine braking so that should explain why the car drops down a gear and high revs. It doing this even when a speed is not set but when the cruise control is just On is weird.

Unrelated, does it help to put the car in neutral at stop lights? I'm used to putting the Auto in neutral every time I stop at a stop light and then pull it back to D when I need to go. Anybody else do this?
Old 07-08-2011, 11:19 AM   #97
Joeywhat
Strichmädchen & Koks

Fan#: 85247
What I Drive: 2014 Mustang 3.7L SGM

Points 7,732, Level 58
Points: 7,732, Level: 58 Points: 7,732, Level: 58 Points: 7,732, Level: 58
Level Up 91% Completed
Level up: 91% Level up: 91% Level up: 91%
Forum Activity 10%
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%
FF Reputation: 11 Joeywhat Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
For one, why even bother, and two, the car is in neutral anyways, it's certainly not in gear as you'd either be moving or the engine would not be running.
Hatch Nation #29
Old 07-08-2011, 12:02 PM   #98
pra2veen
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86954
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE Hatch (Kona Blue)

FF Reputation: 1 pra2veen Good Standing Member
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeywhat View Post
For one, why even bother, and two, the car is in neutral anyways, it's certainly not in gear as you'd either be moving or the engine would not be running.
Well, when I am at a standstill (in D) if it's in neutral, shouldn't it Not move forward when I let go of the break? Or doesn't it? <confused>
Old 07-08-2011, 12:29 PM   #99
TitaniumFred
Focus Addict

Fan#: 86524
What I Drive: 2012 Silver Titanium HB

FF Reputation: 1 TitaniumFred Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by pra2veen View Post
From what I know, the car tries to maintain speed (in cruise control) by engine braking so that should explain why the car drops down a gear and high revs. It doing this even when a speed is not set but when the cruise control is just On is weird.

Unrelated, does it help to put the car in neutral at stop lights? I'm used to putting the Auto in neutral every time I stop at a stop light and then pull it back to D when I need to go. Anybody else do this?
I used to do this with my Subaru. Felt it helped the engine idle smoother. I don't do this with the Focus as it's smooth as silk when idling.
Old 07-08-2011, 03:30 PM   #100
Titanium12
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86295
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 Titanium12 Good Standing Member
Yea, the roll back on an incline is a little freaky. My wife will freak out when it happens to her.
Delivery Date: June 29, 2011

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Tags
dct , powershift

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.