Highway lane drifting - Page 5 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-06-2011, 09:10 AM   #41
immaengineer
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 87350
What I Drive: 2012, White, Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 1 immaengineer Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cappa View Post
I think it's a major placebo affect going on.. people are seeing people complain about things on this forum and then starting to think they are encountering the "same problem."

To be honest, I never noticed any highway lane drifting until I read this thread complaining about it then I started noticing that my car did drift but then I thought if I never noticed it before why all of a sudden now?

I'm sure the majority of the complaints are legitimate but like Engineer said, stop trying to oversteer and let it do it's work. I'd be curious to know how many people are driving with one hand and complaining about drifting.
I understand what you mean cappa, I guess it all depends on what type of roads you drive on. You won't notice it much if you're driving on smooth pavement. I'm up in New England where we have horrible roads due to the climate change. I definitley notice a big difference, especially since my car before this had no driver aids.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2011, 12:49 PM   #42
mattlqx
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 87201
What I Drive: '12 SE 5-dr MT Yellow, '13 Boss 302

FF Reputation: 1 mattlqx Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony407 View Post
I have not noticed this at all with my car.

Is it possible you're experiencing tramlining? Because I definitely have in the past, but not with the Focus. I have the 18" PS3 tires.

Just a thought.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tramlining

Tony
As I said, the car is very sensitive to this. I didn't know the name for it, but now I do, thanks! But I don't believe it to be the source of the steering issue which is more of a problem with input responsiveness/sensitivity.
Old 07-06-2011, 06:26 PM   #43
baron
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 87533
What I Drive: 2012 Ingot Silver SE Sport

FF Reputation: 1 baron Good Standing Member
I noticed the lane drifting on the way home from picking up the car at the dealer.
It would drift left and as I made the correction I would feel a resistance in the wheel to my correction then the resistance would give but it would be difficult or impossible to not overcorrect. so then the car goes too far in the other direction. same thing again now, try to correct but there is a distinct resistance in the wheel that then gives way to another overcorrection. It's as if the wheel is preventing me from holding steady in a straight line. I have now put about 500 miles on the car and it is doing it less and less. Each time I drive it has less of that resistance to light input.
I am still however, feeling the engine stutter when pulling away from a stop. This too is getting better but it still has my attention as it (goes for the drifting as well) really ruins the driving experience of what seems like a great car.
Old 07-06-2011, 08:05 PM   #44
Targon
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 81074
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SEL 5-door

FF Reputation: 2 Targon Good Standing Member
I've driven cars with normal "speed sensitive power steering", and my Focus SEL has that feel. Tighter at higher speeds, looser at slower speeds, which is what you want since at fast speeds, you WANT it to be tight like that. Nothing would be worse than having to really pull the wheel HARD to avoid something in the road at high speeds.
Old 07-06-2011, 08:58 PM   #45
mattlqx
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 87201
What I Drive: '12 SE 5-dr MT Yellow, '13 Boss 302

FF Reputation: 1 mattlqx Good Standing Member
We're talking the difference between an inch and a centimeter. You don't want something so sensitive that will interpret normal steering corrections as changes in direction.
Old 07-06-2011, 09:36 PM   #46
Titan1
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 85714
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 Titan1 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by baron View Post
I noticed the lane drifting on the way home from picking up the car at the dealer.
It would drift left and as I made the correction I would feel a resistance in the wheel to my correction then the resistance would give but it would be difficult or impossible to not overcorrect. so then the car goes too far in the other direction. same thing again now, try to correct but there is a distinct resistance in the wheel that then gives way to another overcorrection. It's as if the wheel is preventing me from holding steady in a straight line. I have now put about 500 miles on the car and it is doing it less and less. Each time I drive it has less of that resistance to light input.
I am still however, feeling the engine stutter when pulling away from a stop. This too is getting better but it still has my attention as it (goes for the drifting as well) really ruins the driving experience of what seems like a great car.
I am having the same experience but now only sometimes. When it's not acting up you can literally drive with two fingers and the slightest pressure will center the car back in the center of the lane.
When it acts up, you get resistance which then sends you further towards the center line which you try to correct and then sends you to the edge of the road. The result is a ping pong effect and it gets tiring after 300 miles.

I've driven up north and back to the Twin Cities three times and it happened on the second trip going up and coming back. The only thing I think that was different was there was a good cross wind during that trip. What is strange was the resistance happens while correcting towards the left and the right regardless to the direction the cross wind is coming from.

When it does happen, it's usually begins 15 to 20 minutes and then seems to stop while I go through a town and then strange again it starts back up again after 15 minutes on the highway.
Old 07-06-2011, 09:55 PM   #47
Socalraiderz
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 86715
What I Drive: 2012, Silver, Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 Socalraiderz Good Standing Member
Quote:
I have not noticed this at all with my car.

Is it possible you're experiencing tramlining? Because I definitely have in the past, but not with the Focus. I have the 18" PS3 tires.

Just a thought.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tramlining

Tony
Tony, This is exactly when it happens on my Focus. It does not happen on asphalt roads. Only when its a concrete highway where I experience the Tramlining. I have had to change lanes multiple times on the road back from Las Vegas, (Interstate 15).

Good find!!
Old 07-07-2011, 01:29 AM   #48
Tony407
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85289
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray Hatch Titanium

FF Reputation: 4 Tony407 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socalraiderz View Post
Tony, This is exactly when it happens on my Focus. It does not happen on asphalt roads. Only when its a concrete highway where I experience the Tramlining. I have had to change lanes multiple times on the road back from Las Vegas, (Interstate 15).

Good find!!
Yeah, I drove mine to San Diego and back last month (2,500 miles of mostly highway driving) and it didn't behave any differently than any other car I've owned. Smooth sailing. I've experienced tramlining before and it's due to tire design. I'm not saying the Focus doesn't have the technology others have referenced, but it shouldn't interfere with your driving that much.

For those of you that have experienced this pulling, what tires are you running? I have the handling package with the Michelin PS3s.

Tony
Old 07-07-2011, 06:39 AM   #49
cuke2u
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 87358
What I Drive: It's in my sig..

FF Reputation: 2 cuke2u Good Standing Member
Hi, it is rather strange that this 'phenomena' hasn't been picked up by anyone else aside from this forum. None of the road tests, short or long, I've read have mentioned anything about this at all, infact all most of them say the steering is a little insensitive to input when cornering. I've driven one and didn't notice anything different from my Mondeo's hydraulic pas. It can't be tramlining, as this only occurs under slower speeds, it can't be that the steering automatically stiffens, as this has been around for donkey's years. It could be that the steering is over servo'd, if so this would just need a tweak to the car's electronic mapping.
Perhaps this is just a feature that needs a little adjustment to the way they are driven, it might just be that the car is designed around the driving characteristics of several different countries, not just the US.
Chris
18" 5 Spoke Alloy Wheels
Manual 6-speed gearbox,,,
Old 07-07-2011, 08:00 AM   #50
BiggerBoat
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85913
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy Titanium Hatch

FF Reputation: 3 BiggerBoat Good Standing Member
Quote:
Yeah, I drove mine to San Diego and back last month (2,500 miles of mostly highway driving) and it didn't behave any differently than any other car I've owned. Smooth sailing. I've experienced tramlining before and it's due to tire design. I'm not saying the Focus doesn't have the technology others have referenced, but it shouldn't interfere with your driving that much.

For those of you that have experienced this pulling, what tires are you running? I have the handling package with the Michelin PS3s.

Tony
It really not "pulling". When it occurs, It's not being able to achieve straight in the 1st place.
My Titanium (no Handling package) has the Continental ContiProContact and I think that's what most of the SEL and Titaniums with 17" have. Trying to remember if anyone with the Michelin's has reported the issue??. Tramlining may be the initial catalyst but I'm speculating something must be going wonky with the "Pull-Drift Compensation" technology on some units. Frustrating because in every other respect, this is the best handling car I've ever owned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuke2u View Post
Hi, it is rather strange that this 'phenomena' hasn't been picked up by anyone else aside from this forum. None of the road tests, short or long, I've read have mentioned anything about this at all...
Chris
I have heard it mentioned in a couple of reviews. Cant remember both sources but here is a quote from a Focus review on "The Truth About Cars" web site:

"The steering feels quick and well-weighted around townóbut borders on twitchy at highway speeds."

Bookmarks & Social Networks