2012 Focus - Rough Idle - Page 3 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-06-2011, 02:31 AM   #21
juerko
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 87501
What I Drive: 2012 Focus HB, 2000 Focus

FF Reputation: 1 juerko Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by straightboy View Post
Love everything about my new Focus except that I was taken aback a little by rough, gentle shaking of the car when you let it creep forward with no acceleration. I first thought it might be stalling out or happening because of the strain of the A/C running. Still happens without A/C and sometimes to a small degree when you're completely stopped (foot on the brake). No change in the RPM's ever happens. Only have 200 miles on the car so I am willing to give it a little time to smooth out but I really wish it was smoother.
I've just got a 2012 Focus SE HB yesterday.

the car has a similar problem;

Drives well, but when it come to a complete stop, when rpm gradually fall just below 750 the car (or engine) starts shake (something like the engine hesitates and give impression that it is about to stall) while foot on brake. Interestingly, when A/C is on rpm keeps just around 750 and shakes less. Above 750rpm on idle there is no shake.

But the interesting thing is, I have test driven the same car before purchase and everything was so well while test driving, unlike after it is delivered.

What may change in between?

There can be many thing but first come into mind;

Does Ford use Premium gas when sending from factory, which increases performance and maybe give a smooth idle (can it make so much difference)?

Is Ford tune the engine for best mpg out of factory, or the dealership tunes before delivery (when delivered it was 30 km with 14.8 L/100km, and I know how the 20 km is spent)?

Or...

Is there anybody who has test driven the car which they have purchased and find some different experience before and after?

Is this a malfunction or just a simple fine tune, or just the matter of gas brand?

I did not find chance to consume the tank to try premium gas, but I will do so. Is there anybody who had similar problem and tried premium gas? Did this solved the problem?

I do not want to give the "brand new" to service for their experiments unless there is a real problem.

Last edited by juerko; 07-06-2011 at 02:34 AM. Reason: Smiles corrected
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2011, 10:53 PM   #22
abracobabra
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 91132
What I Drive: 2012 red ford focus sel

FF Reputation: 1 abracobabra Good Standing Member
Rough idle

Hello,

We just bought a 2012 Ford Focus and the first thing I noticed was it seemed to bog down upon initial acceleration, just enough to make you glad
your not at a railroad crossing and it might die! I hate to take it to a dealer because I am of the belief the fewer monkies that put a wrench on the your
car the longer it will last. Nothing ever goes back in the box the way it was before you took it out. I guess I'll look for the technical data and see if there is something as simple as an idle screw that I can turn a click up amd see if it fixes the problem. Don't know if there is a recall or not. I like the car and am waiting for the turbo model st next year.
Old 10-24-2011, 03:00 PM   #23
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

Points 3,295, Level 35
Points: 3,295, Level: 35 Points: 3,295, Level: 35 Points: 3,295, Level: 35
Level Up 64% Completed
Level up: 64% Level up: 64% Level up: 64%
Forum Activity 21%
Activity: 21% Activity: 21% Activity: 21%
FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by abracobabra View Post
We just bought a 2012 Ford Focus and the first thing I noticed was it seemed to bog down upon initial acceleration, I guess I'll look for the technical data and see if there is something as simple as an idle screw that I can turn a click up amd see if it fixes the problem.
Hi abracobabra,

Welcome to the forum! The idle strategy is electronically controlled, and since yours is concerning, the dealer will be the best position to diagnose it and ease your worries. Please PM me your VIN, contact information, mileage, & servicing dealer name/state so I can help. Talk to you soon!

~Natasha

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordServiceUS facebook.com/FordFocus

M - F 11 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET | Send a PM? Pls allow 2 business days for reply
Old 12-16-2011, 12:20 AM   #24
DaeHanL
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 90891
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy SE 5spd

FF Reputation: 1 DaeHanL Good Standing Member
my only qualm

when my car is idle, it shakes and the idle doesn't feel smooth/consistent. I have an MTX. I also notice that the throttle is a bit delayed, and I basically have to give it a punch to get it to respond when starting from a complete stop. I think I just miss cables....

2012 FF5DR SE Sport, 5-Spd, and ALL the 'fixins!
-DaeHan
Old 12-17-2011, 01:43 PM   #25
dmustang
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 53646
What I Drive: 2008 Focus SE,2012 Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 dmustang Good Standing Member
I have a 2008 SE with about 147K miles and I've had rough idle that comes and goes but seems to be around more often lately. I'm used to it now, I've tried replacing spark plugs, grounding the throttle body(which actually helped with better pedal response) and cleaning the MAF(which also helped for a little while). Does anyone know how long a MAF lasts or if the MAf is responsible for the rough idle.
Old 12-20-2011, 03:37 PM   #26
gearhed67
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 92936
What I Drive: 2012 black s

FF Reputation: 1 gearhed67 Good Standing Member
I bought a '12 focus s 5 speed a few months ago and have the same issues. Bogs down on take off unless you slip the clutch more than I like. It definately scared me the first time I tried to hop into traffic. The other thing is the rough idle. Yes with the normal idle its a little rough but certainly not a concern but occasionally I get a drop in idle to about 350 rpm, not "normal". I did a little research on this and on the 2011 models there is a technical service bulletin for this exact sympton. I forgot to grab the printout I had of it with the tsb # but it listed the rough/low idle present with or without DTC's. The repair was to replace the throttle body. I dont know if this is the same exact problem but the tsb only applies to 2011 models. I have 10,000 miles on mine but I have yet to take it back to the dealer about this. If anyone has access to alldata or something you could post the tsb info. If not I will try to grab it tomorrow.
Old 12-21-2011, 11:00 AM   #27
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

Points 3,295, Level 35
Points: 3,295, Level: 35 Points: 3,295, Level: 35 Points: 3,295, Level: 35
Level Up 64% Completed
Level up: 64% Level up: 64% Level up: 64%
Forum Activity 21%
Activity: 21% Activity: 21% Activity: 21%
FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaeHanL View Post
when my car is idle, it shakes and the idle doesn't feel smooth/consistent. I have an MTX. I also notice that the throttle is a bit delayed, and I basically have to give it a punch to get it to respond when starting from a complete stop. I think I just miss cables....
Hey DaeHanL,

That shake seems to be a concern for you. Have you taken the Focus to the local Ford dealer for diagnoses and repair? If not, I highly suggest that first step. If the issue persists and continues to be a concern for you, PM your VIN, mileage, history of issue, your contact information as well as dealer name and location and I will assist you further.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmustang View Post
I have a 2008 SE with about 147K miles and I've had rough idle that comes and goes but seems to be around more often lately. I'm used to it now, I've tried replacing spark plugs, grounding the throttle body(which actually helped with better pedal response) and cleaning the MAF(which also helped for a little while). Does anyone know how long a MAF lasts or if the MAf is responsible for the rough idle.
Hi Dmustang,

If the MAF is responsible for rough idle, your dealer will be able to review that issue. Take it to the dealer for a solution. If after the visit the issue persists, PM the VIN, mileage, your contact info and dealer info, so that I can further assist you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhed67 View Post
I bought a '12 focus s 5 speed a few months ago and have the same issues. Bogs down on take off unless you slip the clutch more than I like. It definately scared me the first time I tried to hop into traffic. The other thing is the rough idle. Yes with the normal idle its a little rough but certainly not a concern but occasionally I get a drop in idle to about 350 rpm, not "normal". I did a little research on this and on the 2011 models there is a technical service bulletin for this exact sympton. I forgot to grab the printout I had of it with the tsb # but it listed the rough/low idle present with or without DTC's. The repair was to replace the throttle body. I dont know if this is the same exact problem but the tsb only applies to 2011 models. .
Hi Gearhead67,

TSBs are VIN-specific, and are performed when certain symptoms are exhibited. Keep in mind that even though some vehicles may appear to have the same issue, the cause may be different. This is why I suggest visiting the local Ford dealership for accurate diagnoses of your Focus. Keep me posted on the results. You can also PM the VIN, mileage, description of issue, your contact info and the dealer info.

Happy Holidays!

Noemi

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordServiceUS facebook.com/FordFocus

M - F 11 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET | Send a PM? Pls allow 2 business days for reply

Last edited by FordService; 12-21-2011 at 12:01 PM.
Old 12-21-2011, 11:20 AM   #28
Flewse
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 92677
What I Drive: 2012 Candy Focus SEL

Points 25, Level 1
Points: 25, Level: 1 Points: 25, Level: 1 Points: 25, Level: 1
Level Up 49% Completed
Level up: 49% Level up: 49% Level up: 49%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 Flewse Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red 2012 View Post
low idle was one of the design objectives to get better MPG ... you know when you have a problem if it stalls at idle. we seemed to get used to it after a couple of weeks.

most noticeable is the back creep on hill once you have stopped ... and not that automatic nice hold like on a larger ford. or shifting into R and nothing happening until you step on the gas? not like the Freestyle where we have to keep the brake on when stopped and in gear.

automatic. whatever cheap gas is available.
On the automatic. not sure of the manual
You will find if you depress the brake a little harder and then release.
It will engage the hill holder. Very helpfull on this car.

Hope that helps.
Old 12-21-2011, 11:20 AM   #29
Flewse
Focus Rookie

Points 25, Level 1
Level Up 49% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Hill Holder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red 2012 View Post
low idle was one of the design objectives to get better MPG ... you know when you have a problem if it stalls at idle. we seemed to get used to it after a couple of weeks.

most noticeable is the back creep on hill once you have stopped ... and not that automatic nice hold like on a larger ford. or shifting into R and nothing happening until you step on the gas? not like the Freestyle where we have to keep the brake on when stopped and in gear.

automatic. whatever cheap gas is available.
On the automatic. not sure of the manual
You will find if you depress the brake a little harder and then release.
It will engage the hill holder. Very helpfull on this car.

Hope that helps.
Old 12-21-2011, 11:27 AM   #30
Flewse
Focus Rookie

Points 25, Level 1
Level Up 49% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Test menu!! Very interesting

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhed67 View Post
I bought a '12 focus s 5 speed a few months ago and have the same issues. Bogs down on take off unless you slip the clutch more than I like. It definately scared me the first time I tried to hop into traffic. The other thing is the rough idle. Yes with the normal idle its a little rough but certainly not a concern but occasionally I get a drop in idle to about 350 rpm, not "normal". I did a little research on this and on the 2011 models there is a technical service bulletin for this exact sympton. I forgot to grab the printout I had of it with the tsb # but it listed the rough/low idle present with or without DTC's. The repair was to replace the throttle body. I dont know if this is the same exact problem but the tsb only applies to 2011 models. I have 10,000 miles on mine but I have yet to take it back to the dealer about this. If anyone has access to alldata or something you could post the tsb info. If not I will try to grab it tomorrow.

When you first start the car. Depress and hold the Ok button on the left side of the steering wheel. Test will appear in your dash . Scroll through it and you will see quite a few interesting items including the exact rpms (not just a sweeping hand) I would suggest a fluctuation of upto 75 rpms on a warm engine is acceptable on a direct injection engine.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.