Remote start and push button start - Page 2 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Interior Mods & Upgrades

MK3 Interior Mods & Upgrades The place to chat about performance gauges, shifter knobs, custom interior paint, car seats or any interior upgrades for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-28-2011, 08:32 PM   #11
Tony407
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85289
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray Hatch Titanium

FF Reputation: 4 Tony407 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I thought I had previously posted a reply, but I guess not.

The dealership was able to fix the remote start and all is good. The only bad thing is that after a remote start, the engine dies when I open the door. Not too happy about this, but what can you do? At least it works.

Tony
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2011, 11:59 AM   #12
vinnfizz
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 86394
What I Drive: 2012 Focus 5 dr Kona Blue

FF Reputation: 1 vinnfizz Good Standing Member
Remote start Option

I ordered the remote start system on my 2012 SEL 303a Kona Blue Metallic expecting it to come factory installed but my salesman and I both were surprised when it turned out to be a "Dealer Installed" option and adds a separate key fob with one button on it. My dealers install guy had to wait on an installation wiring harness to come in specific to the 2012 model so it was a week after delivery I had to take it back to the dealer for installation. The system works ok but then I found the next day that after a remote start as you approach the car to unlock the doors the engine shuts down. That made no sense at all! I took it back to the dealer and they disabled the door ajar function on the remote start interface and now I can unlock the doors with out a shut down. If you step on the brake getting in before the key is turned to the II position the engine will shut down. The antenna for the system is a 1 1/4 X 1 in. x 1/4 in. block with 2 1/2 in antenna extending from two sides. It was installed to the interior windshield to the right of the rearview mirror, out of sight to the driver but I am sure it will be an obstruction to window cleaning.
Old 07-22-2011, 10:09 AM   #13
russylvia
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 87916
What I Drive: 2012 Silver Titanium

FF Reputation: 2 russylvia Good Standing Member
I have my Tiitanium getting RS. I am on day two . Dealer didn't haves all the parts in the box.
Old 07-22-2011, 10:13 PM   #14
Tony407
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnfizz View Post
I ordered the remote start system on my 2012 SEL 303a Kona Blue Metallic expecting it to come factory installed but my salesman and I both were surprised when it turned out to be a "Dealer Installed" option and adds a separate key fob with one button on it. My dealers install guy had to wait on an installation wiring harness to come in specific to the 2012 model so it was a week after delivery I had to take it back to the dealer for installation. The system works ok but then I found the next day that after a remote start as you approach the car to unlock the doors the engine shuts down. That made no sense at all! I took it back to the dealer and they disabled the door ajar function on the remote start interface and now I can unlock the doors with out a shut down. If you step on the brake getting in before the key is turned to the II position the engine will shut down. The antenna for the system is a 1 1/4 X 1 in. x 1/4 in. block with 2 1/2 in antenna extending from two sides. It was installed to the interior windshield to the right of the rearview mirror, out of sight to the driver but I am sure it will be an obstruction to window cleaning.
Would you mind giving us the name of the dealer that did this? Mine can't seem to figure out how to make it so the engine doesn't shut off when you open the door. If they had someone to call that's done it already, it might make a difference. Thanks!

Tony
Old 07-23-2011, 11:08 PM   #15
Wholla09
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 85885
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray Ford Focus Titan

FF Reputation: 1 Wholla09 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by russylvia View Post
I have my Tiitanium getting RS. I am on day two . Dealer didn't haves all the parts in the box.
I am currently on day 5 with waiting for my car to come back from the dealership. The first two days were waiting for instructions, and the last couple of days were waiting for more parts. Hopefully i can get my car back Monday. I only driven it 10 days total.
Old 07-27-2011, 01:03 AM   #16
feta_mgp
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88210
What I Drive: 2012 SGM Focus SEL

Points 3,210, Level 35
Points: 3,210, Level: 35 Points: 3,210, Level: 35 Points: 3,210, Level: 35
Level Up 7% Completed
Level up: 7% Level up: 7% Level up: 7%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 7 feta_mgp Good Standing Member
You guys... remote start is there for things like pre-heating the car before getting in on a really cold day or cooling it off on a hot day. If you could remote start your car and be on your way and a carjacker happened to be waiting for you to get in the car, he could easily run and steal the car right before your eyes if it left the engine running and the car on. The fact that when the door is opened or the brake depressed the engine then again dies is most likely a safety precaution to avoid that very scenario.
Old 07-27-2011, 02:40 AM   #17
Tony407
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by feta_mgp View Post
You guys... remote start is there for things like pre-heating the car before getting in on a really cold day or cooling it off on a hot day. If you could remote start your car and be on your way and a carjacker happened to be waiting for you to get in the car, he could easily run and steal the car right before your eyes if it left the engine running and the car on. The fact that when the door is opened or the brake depressed the engine then again dies is most likely a safety precaution to avoid that very scenario.
I've never had a car with remote start that died when you opened a door.

On every other car I've owned with remote start, if the carjacker got into the car with it running like in the above scenario and the key wasn't in the car, it would die the moment they stepped on the brake.

Tony
Old 07-27-2011, 07:37 AM   #18
feta_mgp
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88210
What I Drive: 2012 SGM Focus SEL

Points 3,210, Level 35
Points: 3,210, Level: 35 Points: 3,210, Level: 35 Points: 3,210, Level: 35
Level Up 7% Completed
Level up: 7% Level up: 7% Level up: 7%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 7 feta_mgp Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony407 View Post
I've never had a car with remote start that died when you opened a door.

On every other car I've owned with remote start, if the carjacker got into the car with it running like in the above scenario and the key wasn't in the car, it would die the moment they stepped on the brake.

Tony
If it shut off anyway then what difference does it make?

I don't see the difference or why it matters if the car shuts off either way, Ford did something different, so it shuts off when you open the door instead of hitting the brake, I'd rather have that than the tease of sitting down getting all situated and then having to restart the car cause I hit the brake.

I get what you're saying, but I don't understand this thread, it seems like most of these guys didn't know the car was supposed to shut off, and if they do I don't see why they're upset that the car shut off a different way if it was going to shut off anyway.
Old 07-27-2011, 11:00 AM   #19
safetyguy14
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86232
What I Drive: '12 Grey Metallic Focus Hb Ti

FF Reputation: 1 safetyguy14 Good Standing Member
Quote:

I don't see the difference or why it matters if the car shuts off either way, Ford did something different, so it shuts off when you open the door instead of hitting the brake, I'd rather have that than the tease of sitting down getting all situated and then having to restart the car cause I hit the brake.

I get what you're saying, but I don't understand this thread, it seems like most of these guys didn't know the car was supposed to shut off, and if they do I don't see why they're upset that the car shut off a different way if it was going to shut off anyway.
you don't seem to understand:

How it should work:
Hit button on keyfob -> Car starts with doors locked
Someone approaches car w/out key -> doors locked, can't get in
they break window and attempt to drive away -> car sees no key and turns off
owner walks up with key -> doors unlock, car stays on
owner puts car into drive -> since key is there, car stays on and just starts to drive.

Now that you understand the most logical way it should work, you can understand why a person would be frustrated when it doesn't work that way.
Old 07-27-2011, 02:02 PM   #20
Tony407
Focus Addict

Quote:

The car would only shut off if you stepped on the brake without the intelligent access key in the car (on cars with IA), or without putting the key in the ignition and turning it to the on position before stepping on the brake.

My typical scenario would work as follows in my '08 F150:

I remote start the truck from inside my house. I unlock the door, (with the fob unlock button, key, or door keypad) get in, put the key into the ignition and turn it, then proceed as normal. If I get into the truck and forget to put the key into the ignition and I step on the brake to take the transmission out of park, the engine dies instantly. Then I say: "Oops...I forgot to put the damn key in the ignition! Doh!" Happens frequently.

The typical scenario on several of my IA vehicles with remote start, and the way it should work with the Focus:

I remote start the car from inside my house. I walk up to the car, unlock the door when I touch or pull on the handle, get inside and put my foot on the brake and push the engine start button and proceed as normal. If for some reason I don't have the IA key with me, I can't even get into the locked car. Furthermore, even if I were able to get into the car without the IA key either the engine would shut off when the brake pedal is depressed or the transmission wouldn't be able to taken out of park.

I hope this clarifies things.

Tony

Bookmarks & Social Networks