2012 Focus Transmission Shaking - Page 5 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-23-2011, 04:38 PM   #41
RUSSZET
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 87029
What I Drive: 2011 Frozen White Ford Focus Zetec

FF Reputation: 1 RUSSZET Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vrod21 View Post
Ford would like you to wait 5 years or 60,000 miles.......
You have no idea how close to the truth this comment really is

And from experience it doesn't just apply to the Ford Motor Company either
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2011, 04:13 AM   #42
tigertiger
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85787
What I Drive: 2004 green ranger; 2012 Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 1 tigertiger Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonesour1 View Post
I am writing in regard to my 2012 Ford Focus SE that we had purchased on May 26th, 2011. I have been having the same issues as many other owners of this newest model of Focus. Hesitation with acceleration, stuttering or fluttering while idling, and most recently a "grinding" occasionally occurs while the gears are shifting.

And now that our newest problem with the grinding of gears in between shifting has arose, it goes back in on June 21st.
Just wanted to let you know mine is also exhibiting the grinding noise. I've posted this in a few other threads. Taking it to the dealer Tuesday. I understand some amount of fluttering or shuddering may be normal given the type of transmission, but I'd be shocked if the noise I hear when it shifts is normal.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2011, 11:17 AM   #43
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

Points 3,149, Level 34
Points: 3,149, Level: 34 Points: 3,149, Level: 34 Points: 3,149, Level: 34
Level Up 66% Completed
Level up: 66% Level up: 66% Level up: 66%
Forum Activity 15%
Activity: 15% Activity: 15% Activity: 15%
FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigertiger View Post
Just wanted to let you know mine is also exhibiting the grinding noise. I've posted this in a few other threads. Taking it to the dealer Tuesday. I understand some amount of fluttering or shuddering may be normal given the type of transmission, but I'd be shocked if the noise I hear when it shifts is normal.
Hi tigertiger,

Please keep me updated on what the dealer suggests. If they are unable to resolve your concern, let me know. I have your information and will assist so you are confident in your Focus.

~Natasha

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordServiceUS facebook.com/FordFocus

M - F 11 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET | Send a PM? Pls allow 2 business days for reply
Old 06-28-2011, 10:49 AM   #44
JBZZX3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 55935
What I Drive: 14 5dr SE, 09 4dr SE, 07 ZX3 SAP

Points 2,266, Level 28
Points: 2,266, Level: 28 Points: 2,266, Level: 28 Points: 2,266, Level: 28
Level Up 78% Completed
Level up: 78% Level up: 78% Level up: 78%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 0 JBZZX3 Newbie
In this video... they make a comment about the 6 speed auto shaking and stuttering... but they also mention that the trans. works very well for them...

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...X6c3PFJCBISfRH

Realize too that these 6 speed autos are only 1 year old... there is bound to be problems with the new technology... this is the primary reason i generally DO NOT buy the first model year of any car... I would love a new Fiesta or Focus 5 door hatch and although I am looking into getting one of these newer models... a good recommendation would be for some people to wait a few years before purchasing the new model car. I bought my 07 in 08 and passed up the 08 because it was the first model and did not come with a handling package. In a few years the new Gen Foci will be more refined with less problems and PROBABLY get even better MPG. I know its a hard draw not to get the new model but being an early adopter doesn't always pay off...
Old 06-28-2011, 02:30 PM   #45
red2009se

Fan#: 79513
What I Drive: car

FF Reputation: 1 red2009se Good Standing Member
I am thinking there will be a 'reprogramming' coming soon. And yes, wait for 2013-14 for changes and updates.

First on the block buyers pay extra, for attention and factory bugs.
Old 06-28-2011, 05:08 PM   #46
tigertiger
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85787
What I Drive: 2004 green ranger; 2012 Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 1 tigertiger Good Standing Member
Quote:
Left my car with Landmark Ford today. Took a ride with a service guy, he heard the noise and said he did not think it was normal. Got a call from the service dept. just now saying they don't know what is causing it and they want to talk to a couple of Ford engineers about it and get back to me tomorrow.

While I'm relieved to hear they agree there is a problem, I'm a little concerned the only option will be to replace the transmission and they will have the car for weeks while they obtain the part and replace it.
Old 06-28-2011, 11:36 PM   #47
mattlqx
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 87201
What I Drive: '12 SE 5-dr MT Yellow, '13 Boss 302

FF Reputation: 1 mattlqx Good Standing Member
I've owned two Audi's with DSG dual-clutch gearboxes. I never had any issue with them displaying ANY odd shaking or vibration. It is quite simply not "normal" operation for any properly running/designed transmission.

This is Ford's first go-around with this kind of transmission so I'm not terribly surprised that they're having issues like this. It's early and there will be a learning curve. The good news is that these are highly dependent on software and problems with early production models *should* be fixable as software upgrades.

I believe they'll get it sorted out eventually. But I'm ever-so-glad I stuck to a good ol' 5-speed rower (which incidentally shifts like buttah).
Old 06-29-2011, 09:51 AM   #48
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Points 3,149, Level 34
Level Up 66% Completed
Forum Activity 15%
Quote:
Left my car with Landmark Ford today. Took a ride with a service guy, he heard the noise and said he did not think it was normal. Got a call from the service dept. just now saying they don't know what is causing it and they want to talk to a couple of Ford engineers about it and get back to me tomorrow.

While I'm relieved to hear they agree there is a problem, I'm a little concerned the only option will be to replace the transmission and they will have the car for weeks while they obtain the part and replace it.
tigertiger,

Thank you for the update. I have responded to your PM. I am glad they are contacting engineers to correctly diagnose your concerns. I will continue to assist so you are satisfied. Have a great day!

~Natasha

Old 07-18-2011, 06:39 AM   #49
Jamie B
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 87948
What I Drive: 2009 Grey Jetta

FF Reputation: 1 Jamie B Good Standing Member
I had the bad luck to rent a 2012 Ford Focus from the Enterprise rental car in Morristown, NJ. The car had 3000 miles on it, and, I later was told, had been in the shop six times for transmission problems. I was told this after I drove a horrifying hour through rough shifting and terrible shaking, only to have the Focus finally give me the dashboard readout "transmission failed, seek service immediately," or something like that. When I shifted into reverse it sounded like something was going to fall out the bottom of the car! Luckily I was able to switch to another rental car. But I will never buy a Ford Focus if that's the kind of junk Ford is selling.
Old 07-18-2011, 02:09 PM   #50
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Points 3,149, Level 34
Level Up 66% Completed
Forum Activity 15%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie B View Post
I had the bad luck to rent a 2012 Ford Focus from the Enterprise rental car in Morristown, NJ. The car had 3000 miles on it, and, I later was told, had been in the shop six times for transmission problems. I was told this after I drove a horrifying hour through rough shifting and terrible shaking, only to have the Focus finally give me the dashboard readout "transmission failed, seek service immediately," or something like that. When I shifted into reverse it sounded like something was going to fall out the bottom of the car! Luckily I was able to switch to another rental car. But I will never buy a Ford Focus if that's the kind of junk Ford is selling.
Jamie B,

I know that must have been aggravating to have such issues in your rental car. I urge you to test drive a new Focus at the dealer to see how great they can be. Please let me know if I can answer any questions.

~Natasha

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.