2012 Focus owners - how do you like Powershift tranny so far? - Page 4 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-18-2011, 11:39 PM   #31
kimcrwbr1
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 86052
What I Drive: 2012 silver focus se hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 kimcrwbr1 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I think it is the nature of the beast. Mine shifts just fine when I have my foot into it the only time it really jerks is when in stop and go rush hour traffic. If your real light on the pedal I find shifting manual between 2000 and 2500 rpm makes for a nice smooth ride you only need to shift up it downshifts just fine. The shift points on automatic seem to be around 1500 rpm maybe they can adjust the shift points at a little higher rpm to smooth out the ride.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2011, 10:57 AM   #32
Whiskeyjack
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85436
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue SE Sport Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 Whiskeyjack Good Standing Member
I have about 600 km on my Focus, and I haven't experienced any rough shifting, even at low speeds. From a standing stop, when I take my foot off the brake it seems to feather the clutch and creep forward smoothly, behaving just like a normal AT.

As mentioned previously, shifts occur at a relatively low rpm, for good gas mileage. When making a right turn from a stop, I find it hits 3rd before I've completed the turn. If I'm not watching for the shifts, I don't notice them.
Posted via FF Mobile
Old 06-20-2011, 12:23 PM   #33
cobie56
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 84403
What I Drive: '01 ZX3, '14 Civic XL '12 SEL

FF Reputation: 2 cobie56 Good Standing Member
i find mine pretty much no diff from a convential auto EXCEPT in first gear. there is a slight shuddering, which is normal, but i still don't like that. will just have to get used to it i guess. otherwise, no probs at all w/ this transmission.
as well, not a responsive at start off as a reg. tranny imo
Old 06-20-2011, 02:49 PM   #34
cpogordon
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85208
What I Drive: 2009 VW Tiguan

FF Reputation: 1 cpogordon Good Standing Member
I haven't had any problems with mine, so far the 6-speed automatic manual transmission has been flawless; and no MFT problems.
Old 06-23-2011, 06:44 AM   #35
descentgate
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86793
What I Drive: 2012 Candy Blue Tinted Metallic SEL

FF Reputation: 1 descentgate Good Standing Member
You know, I've noticed that the PowerShift is a bit notchy in D when driving in 10-15mph traffic stop-go style. I figure that S helps out a lot by holding out the gears, as D tries to shift quickly (and by the time it does switch to 2, I'm already hitting my brake to slow down).

I've also found out that the kinda-clumsy shift from first to second (which I don't see as a problem, much more as a quirk) can be easily rectified by easing into the accelerator to ease the clutch transition instead of going immediately for the lead foot. Seems to be a pattern after several trials around town.

Other than those quirks, I love the transmission. Very responsive on the highway and gets good gas mileage.

- 2002 Ford Focus ZTS (CD Silver Metallic)
- 2012 Ford Focus SEL (Blue Candy Tinted Metallic)
Old 06-23-2011, 07:10 AM   #36
Dgc333
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85422
What I Drive: 2012, candy blue, SEL

FF Reputation: 1 Dgc333 Good Standing Member
We have a little over 300 miles so far and the poweshift has been silky smooth and seamless. Under aggressive throttle the shifts are firm and solid just like a well shifted manual. Under cruising you can hardly tell it is shifting.

The only thing I have noticed is when pulling a way from a stop with light throttle it is starting in second gear and if you the jump on it it will down shift to first. There is a split second hesitation in this down shift. If folks hadn't been complaining about how the tranny shifts I would never would have thought about it. All the automatics i have had over the years have had some sort of hesitation under some transitional condition.

Overall I couldn't be happier with the way it shifts.
Old 06-23-2011, 07:59 AM   #37
seamustry
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86768
What I Drive: :::

FF Reputation: 1 seamustry Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeywhat View Post
If you drive it like an auto, it'll be jerky and you'll get shuttering. It's as simple as that. Was in a friend's Volkswagen today and it felt almost exactly like mine. If you drive it more like a manual, it's just as smooth as any traditional automatic...
please excuse my ignorance but i've never driven a manual so could you explain the difference between driving like an auto and driving like a manual. thanks.
Old 06-23-2011, 08:06 AM   #38
cappa
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85229
What I Drive: 2000 VW Golf / 2012 Ford Focus Ti

FF Reputation: 1 cappa Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by seamustry View Post
please excuse my ignorance but i've never driven a manual so could you explain the difference between driving like an auto and driving like a manual. thanks.
I think the point people are trying to make is that DSG or "Dual Clutch" transimissions are not "true automatics."

These types of transmissions are common all over Europe, so I am used to the "shuddering and the rattling" or the "hesitation sensation of it seeming like it's going to stall" it's common and once it's broken in you should notice a difference in driving.
Old 06-23-2011, 09:59 AM   #39
stevegee
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 84274
What I Drive: 2012 Platinum Titanium Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 stevegee Good Standing Member
Mine's a bit notchy at very low speeds but I don't consider that a problem: I remind myself (and new passengers) that it's a computer-controlled manual transmission that has been programmed to masquerade as an automatic: that notchiness at low speeds is simply a fact of its design...
Old 06-23-2011, 11:18 AM   #40
CoasterDan
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86083
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE Hatch Tuxedo Black

FF Reputation: 1 CoasterDan Good Standing Member
Mine has improved with miles. The shuddering seems to be gone. It still shifts hard occasionally, like a poorly executed manual shift, but that happens mainly when it's cold.

The absence of a torque converter is both a good and not so good thing. It's more efficient and it's more responsive if the revs are high enough. But the transmission shifts through the gears so quickly that sometimes, there's not much response because the revs are too low. A heavy foot and a downshift or 2 are required, or the trans. can be shifted into sport mode. This wouldn't be necessary with a traditional auto. trans because the torque converter would allow the revs to come up for more power in the higher gear.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Tags
dct, powershift