Highway lane drifting - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-21-2011, 10:39 AM   #1
herbz
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 84909
What I Drive: 2012 SE Hatch 5MT Sterling Grey

Points 7,844, Level 59
Points: 7,844, Level: 59 Points: 7,844, Level: 59 Points: 7,844, Level: 59
Level Up 47% Completed
Level up: 47% Level up: 47% Level up: 47%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 herbz Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Highway lane drifting

Hey all,

My new Focus only has about 350 miles on it, about half of which are highway. I was wondering if anyone else has the following problem.

When driving on the highway, I feel it's a bit hard to keep the car in its lane. It seems like the electric steering "locks" the car into a "straight" line, but often times that "straight" path heads toward the lane divider. So I'll be going towards the left lane divider, then correct right, then head towards the right lane divider, then correct left, etc. etc. It never seems to just want to go straight ahead.

I wish car manufacturers would just keep electric crap out of cars. Unfortunately that's where the demand is. I ordered the base focus with the base radio because I'm a purist and like things simpler, way less problems. Reading all the MFT problems people are having seems to justify my decision. Unfortunately electric steering is not an option I can uncheck.

Hoping Ford will be able to troubleshoot this. But I was wondering if anyone else has noticed this yet.

Other than that I love this car.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2011, 11:02 AM   #2
Squeak22
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 85595
What I Drive: 2012 Yellow Tri Blaze 5D Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 Squeak22 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbz View Post
Hey all,

My new Focus only has about 350 miles on it, about half of which are highway. I was wondering if anyone else has the following problem.

When driving on the highway, I feel it's a bit hard to keep the car in its lane. It seems like the electric steering "locks" the car into a "straight" line, but often times that "straight" path heads toward the lane divider. So I'll be going towards the left lane divider, then correct right, then head towards the right lane divider, then correct left, etc. etc. It never seems to just want to go straight ahead.

I wish car manufacturers would just keep electric crap out of cars. Unfortunately that's where the demand is. I ordered the base focus with the base radio because I'm a purist and like things simpler, way less problems. Reading all the MFT problems people are having seems to justify my decision. Unfortunately electric steering is not an option I can uncheck.

Hoping Ford will be able to troubleshoot this. But I was wondering if anyone else has noticed this yet.

Other than that I love this car.
I've done quite a lot of highway driving and did not notice this at all. Pretty much always stays dead center and I don't even need to do the usual knee driving to move stuff around quickly. It could just be road conditions causing it to seem like it's pulling left or right.

I'm taking a 900 mile road trip next week, so I guess if it's there I'll notice it then, but I've already put like 1k miles on the car since getting it and I haven't seen this issue.

I do have the titanium with the sports package, maybe it has to do with the less stiff suspension?
Old 06-21-2011, 11:15 AM   #3
herbz
Focus Enthusiast

Points 7,844, Level 59
Level Up 47% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeak22 View Post
I've done quite a lot of highway driving and did not notice this at all. Pretty much always stays dead center and I don't even need to do the usual knee driving to move stuff around quickly. It could just be road conditions causing it to seem like it's pulling left or right.

I'm taking a 900 mile road trip next week, so I guess if it's there I'll notice it then, but I've already put like 1k miles on the car since getting it and I haven't seen this issue.

I do have the titanium with the sports package, maybe it has to do with the less stiff suspension?
Could be any of what you mentioned. Thanks for the post. I'll keep driving until initial oil change/tire rotation. Hopefully it will improve.

I have an SE 5 speed manual w/ sports package for the record.
Old 06-21-2011, 11:17 AM   #4
estoyloco
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85580
What I Drive: 2013 Dart Limited

Points 2,844, Level 32
Points: 2,844, Level: 32 Points: 2,844, Level: 32 Points: 2,844, Level: 32
Level Up 63% Completed
Level up: 63% Level up: 63% Level up: 63%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 1 estoyloco Good Standing Member
Take it to dealer, tell them the problem, and have them check the alignment?
Old 06-21-2011, 11:56 AM   #5
flygry1
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 86605
What I Drive: 2012 se sedan sterling grey

Points 591, Level 11
Points: 591, Level: 11 Points: 591, Level: 11 Points: 591, Level: 11
Level Up 82% Completed
Level up: 82% Level up: 82% Level up: 82%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 1 flygry1 Good Standing Member
I had the same situation when making a 4k trip a couple of wks ago. It seemed like the type road and wind conditions factored in. With light winds it seemed less noticeable. You're right..... the steering seems much more sensitive, At this point it doesn't seem significant but will mention it when taking it in for service. Will appreciate your feedback also.
Old 06-21-2011, 11:59 AM   #6
SlackOff01
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 9140
What I Drive: WTB SVT S AZ AREA

FF Reputation: 1 SlackOff01 Good Standing Member
Id second the alignment check. Make a big deal out of it theyll check the specs on it
Old 06-21-2011, 12:05 PM   #7
Jazzdog
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 79102
What I Drive: 2013 Blue Candy M5 Titanium Hatch

Points 55, Level 1
Points: 55, Level: 1 Points: 55, Level: 1 Points: 55, Level: 1
Level Up 10% Completed
Level up: 10% Level up: 10% Level up: 10%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 2 Jazzdog Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbz View Post
Hey all,

The EPAS steering gear has drift/pull compensation that is intended to mitigate some of this. Most roads have a crown so driving down a 2 lane road w/ a crown your vehicle will drift to the right, same thing in left lane of a highway.

Next time you sense the condition take note of the road crown to see if that explains what is happening. Switch lanes if you are on freeway to see if that changes condition. The drift/pull compensation should sense the slight steering input and null it out so you don't feel the pull on the wheel but only to an extent. Check your tire pressures to make sure that is not it, can also swap LF & RF tires to see if that resolves issue, tire conicity (one side bigger diam than other) can also cause a pull.
Old 06-21-2011, 12:21 PM   #8
Wontfinishlast
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 65496
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey Focus Hatch Ti

FF Reputation: 1 Wontfinishlast Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzdog View Post
The EPAS steering gear has drift/pull compensation that is intended to mitigate some of this. Most roads have a crown so driving down a 2 lane road w/ a crown your vehicle will drift to the right, same thing in left lane of a highway.

Next time you sense the condition take note of the road crown to see if that explains what is happening. Switch lanes if you are on freeway to see if that changes condition. The drift/pull compensation should sense the slight steering input and null it out so you don't feel the pull on the wheel but only to an extent. Check your tire pressures to make sure that is not it, can also swap LF & RF tires to see if that resolves issue, tire conicity (one side bigger diam than other) can also cause a pull.
I'm not sure its alignment out youre pressure our uneven diameter if the car is pulling left and right... Its probably just more sensitive than youre used to. I'd give it more time so you and the car are more used to each other. If the problem persists then sew if the dealer can reprogram the EPAS.
Old 06-21-2011, 12:36 PM   #9
brewslayer
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 86666
What I Drive: 2012 Tux Black Titanium Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 brewslayer Good Standing Member
I'm kinda glad I'm not the only one! Mine does it too & it's going back to the dealer on Friday. It's definiately something in the electric power steering because it doesn't do it all the time. It seems to start happening about a half hour or more into a long drive. The steering seems to lock in one position and when you go to move the wheel (either way) to make a slight adjustment, it resists until you put enough force into it to, and then it moves too much sending you to towards the other lane, it immmediately locks into that position and you can't make a minor adjustment to get back to center. You end up zigzaging in your lane for miles and miles. It's exhausting! We went on 1200 mile trip this weekend and had to change drivers every hour or so because of this. We pulled off at at rest area and I pulled the fuse for the steering module and it actually steered perfect (better than normal) for about a half hour and then it started up again. With my luck it won't do it when I take it to the dealer and they'll think I'm nuts!
Old 06-21-2011, 12:49 PM   #10
herbz
Focus Enthusiast

Points 7,844, Level 59
Level Up 47% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewslayer View Post
I'm kinda glad I'm not the only one! Mine does it too & it's going back to the dealer on Friday. It's definiately something in the electric power steering because it doesn't do it all the time. It seems to start happening about a half hour or more into a long drive. The steering seems to lock in one position and when you go to move the wheel (either way) to make a slight adjustment, it resists until you put enough force into it to, and then it moves too much sending you to towards the other lane, it immmediately locks into that position and you can't make a minor adjustment to get back to center. You end up zigzaging in your lane for miles and miles. It's exhausting! We went on 1200 mile trip this weekend and had to change drivers every hour or so because of this. We pulled off at at rest area and I pulled the fuse for the steering module and it actually steered perfect (better than normal) for about a half hour and then it started up again. With my luck it won't do it when I take it to the dealer and they'll think I'm nuts!
Found this which is the likely culprit:

http://media.ford.com/images/10031/EPAS_MKS.pdf

Wonder if it can be disabled.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.