Issues with new 2012 Ford Focus - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Model Specific Discussions > MK3 Focus > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-17-2011, 02:08 PM   #11
Jellman123
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 86885
What I Drive: White, 2012 SEL 5 door

FF Reputation: 1 Jellman123 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Transmission Shutter

I picked up my 2012 SEL in the beginning of June, and from day 1 felt exactly what you are talking about. It actual feels like the transmission is slipping - hence the shutter feel. I do see the FordcustomerService response, and I love this car and have had 3 Mustangs - I love Fords. I'm just having a tough time buying this response. Ford, you guys get this, you build transmission better then anyone on the plant, period - this is a little scary when you go to pass on the highway, pull out quick at a light etc, it really plays with your confidence in driving. I have 1600 miles, about 1200 are all stop and go highway traffic. I really love this car, the fit and finish, MySync, the look, but I'm really bummed on hearing this response. Can you guys confirm at this point, Ford is not addressing the issue, but stating to let things "wear" in. That is just puzzling no? Has anyone on this thread with an SEL or the 6spd transmission seen things get better?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2011, 09:03 AM   #12
hammy627
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86517
What I Drive: 2010 Classic Silver SE Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 hammy627 Good Standing Member
It's great that Ford is taking this seriously, and I'm glad you took it in. It is important to take it in sooner, especially if you think it is a safety issue. Part of the problem is that you have two weeks of frustration built up and the service department can't help if they don't know.

Incidentally there is fuzzy logic computing built into the transmission that does take a while to learn your habits; this sounds more serious, like a clogged injector or something restricting air, fuel, or spark.

Hammy
Old 06-18-2011, 01:17 PM   #13
don627
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 56863
What I Drive: 2007 infra-red zx3

FF Reputation: 1 don627 Good Standing Member
I think I will keep my '03 till they fix the little issue with the new Focus.
Old 06-18-2011, 05:06 PM   #14
hammy627
Focus Enthusiast

There is SO much new technology in that car to get 37-40 mpg, it's no wonder they have teething problems.
Old 06-21-2011, 01:14 AM   #15
Steddy
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 87004
What I Drive: 1997 Black Thunderbird

FF Reputation: 1 Steddy Good Standing Member
Hi Natasha (Ford) and Dvandy4898:

I'm looking at purchasing a Focus Titanium sedan. I took 2 out for a test drive. On both vehicles, the following occurred. At a standstill, when I take my foot off the brade pedal and allow the car to creep forward, it does indeed feels like it is going to stall (or possibly the transmission is shuddering). Secondly, when the vehicle is being driven and I brake....just before the vehicle comes to a complete halt the car feels like it is going to stall out (once again it shudders). The salesman assisting me was also in the car and he acknowledged the shuddering. (His response was that it happens to all cars. Of course I discounted his response because I know this is not normal.) Regardless, I advised that this is an issue for me and I will think about this before I commit to a purchase. Lo & behold, I now find that this very same problem is occuring to other Focuses.

Just curious as to what has transpired or if there is any further information. I like the car and was ready to purchase until I notice this problem.
Old 06-21-2011, 08:33 AM   #16
gtncpa
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86143
What I Drive: 2012 Black Titanium Hatch

FF Reputation: 2 gtncpa Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steddy View Post
Hi Natasha (Ford) and Dvandy4898:

I'm looking at purchasing a Focus Titanium sedan. I took 2 out for a test drive. On both vehicles, the following occurred. At a standstill, when I take my foot off the brade pedal and allow the car to creep forward, it does indeed feels like it is going to stall (or possibly the transmission is shuddering). Secondly, when the vehicle is being driven and I brake....just before the vehicle comes to a complete halt the car feels like it is going to stall out (once again it shudders). The salesman assisting me was also in the car and he acknowledged the shuddering. (His response was that it happens to all cars. Of course I discounted his response because I know this is not normal.) Regardless, I advised that this is an issue for me and I will think about this before I commit to a purchase. Lo & behold, I now find that this very same problem is occuring to other Focuses.

Just curious as to what has transpired or if there is any further information. I like the car and was ready to purchase until I notice this problem.
its normal. It gets better. I have my Titanium Focus for almost a month ... and I am over the 3,000 mile mark. It did that in the beginning ... now it runs flawlessly! Its the quirky dual clutch. But once you get over 500 miles it keeps getting better and better!
Old 06-21-2011, 08:55 AM   #17
cappa
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85229
What I Drive: 2000 VW Golf / 2012 Ford Focus Ti

FF Reputation: 1 cappa Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtncpa View Post
its normal. It gets better. I have my Titanium Focus for almost a month ... and I am over the 3,000 mile mark. It did that in the beginning ... now it runs flawlessly! Its the quirky dual clutch. But once you get over 500 miles it keeps getting better and better!
yeah don't understand the complaints about the shuddering.... it's normal and gets better once you break in the engine... I've only seen one valid complaint of someone who said the car shuddered so violently his coffee spilled from the cup holder, and yes, that is a bit extreme but in these type of cars some type of shuddering is normal.

I can see why people would get worried about it though if they're not used to it.
Old 06-21-2011, 11:12 AM   #18
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Hi Jellman123,

While it is true that the Focus transmission improves while it learns driving habits, Ford Engineering is investigating and actively working to resolve any concerns. While the symptoms of many posters may seem the same, the causes may be different. I would like to help you with your issues. Please PM me with your VIN, contact information, mileage, and servicing dealer information. I will work with you so you feel confident when driving your Focus.

Steddy,

There have been concerns noted on this forum, but they are not an indication of an issue that affects every owner. I am sorry to hear that the two you test drove experienced rough shifting. Ford takes customer satisfaction very seriously. We are assisting anyone having issues. I hope you reconsider and decide to purchase a Focus.

~Natasha

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford
Old 06-22-2011, 08:07 AM   #19
FocusNovice420
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 66064
What I Drive: 2002 Focus LX, Silver

FF Reputation: 1 FocusNovice420 Good Standing Member
looks like ill be holding of on the 2012's until they figure this out
Old 06-22-2011, 09:50 AM   #20
hammy627
Focus Enthusiast

Also Natasha, remember that some compromises have to be made for the tremendous fuel economy the car gets. You can adjust the idle speed on any car, but if you do it gulps more fuel when it is idling. I had a car that drove along at a nice clip on city streets without my foot on the gas, but it didn't get 25 MPG in the city (I'm a lead foot). In addition, I agree with the post above- There is a 'fuzzy logic' computer in the transmission. Fuzzy logic lets the car adapt to your driving habits, and it takes a while to learn your habits.

Bookmarks & Social Networks