FSWerks Cool-Flo Intake Installation Problems - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Second Generation > DURATEC Performance (2008-2011)

DURATEC Performance (2008-2011) The place to chat about any Duratec 20 engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-19-2011, 11:14 AM   #1
lacole725
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85112
What I Drive: 2010 Ingot Silver Focus SE Sedan

Points 3,062, Level 34
Points: 3,062, Level: 34 Points: 3,062, Level: 34 Points: 3,062, Level: 34
Level Up 8% Completed
Level up: 8% Level up: 8% Level up: 8%
Forum Activity 4%
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%
FF Reputation: 3 lacole725 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
FSWerks Cool-Flo Intake Installation Problems

I need some help. I attempted to install the FSWerks Cool-Flo Intake yesterday morning on my 2010 Sedan. Once I got everything taken off, I started the installation. The first problem I had was the MAF sensor housing was not big enough. It looked like is had some extra paint or slag in it, so I had to find something the file it out to make the hole bigger. Once I got that done, I attached the filter and tried sliding it into the car. In all the pictures I had seen, I never saw any lines below where the airbox sits. I think they are transmission cooler lines or something, but I managed to snake around them.

Now for the big problem. When I tried lining up the intake tube to the throttle body, is was extremely off center. I would have to bring the tube upwards and tilt it in an awkward position. To make it worse, the throttle body is smaller than the intake tube. The supplied silicone couplers are 3" in diameter, so it was too big for my 2.75" throttle body. I tried attaching the coupler to the throttle body as best I could then sliding the tube in and attaching that. I was trying to get it as tight as possible, then the hose clamp broke. After finding a thicker one somewhere, I resumed. The rubber mount that is screwed into the car for the intake to sit on is nowhere near the intake bracket. I had to pull the intake and mount towards each other then install the nut. I thought it looked ok and that it would work. The other problem I had was with the MAF sensor when trying to plug it in. It was extremely short, like more than anyone else had said. I finally got it to reach and plug in, but it looks stupid.

So after finally installing everything, I drove it down the road a couple times and everything seemed to be ok. The only thing I noticed was my car made a farting noise from the intake everytime I turned it off. When my girlfriend got home, we went to my cousin's cookout at his home about 45 minutes away. When I got there and pulled into the yard, I heard a whistling or sucking sound. I thought it sounded like air, so I checked it before I left. Turns out the coupler slipped off the throttle body and was sucking air in. I asked my cousin for a screwdriver and he held the tube over while I retightened the clamp. When I got done, we sat there and watched the tube slide right back off again because the mount was pulling it one direction and the coupler was too big to begin with. I made it to the auto store after cutting out at a red light one time and found a really thick hose clamp like the other one I had put on earlier. I tightened it up pretty good and I made it home without anymore problems.

Has anyone else had this kind of problem and how did you fix it? I think that if I find a 2.75" to 3" adapter hose it will fix that problem. Then if I drill a new hole for the mount to sit in, it will fix the alignment issue. Does that sound about right?

You can see how far away the mount is and how far stretched the MAF Sensor is.

Different angle of how far away the mount is from the bracket. I ended up unscrewing it some to give me a little more leverage.

How I ended up fixing the coupler. These clamps are considerably stronger than the flimsy ones FSWerks sent.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2011, 01:23 PM   #2
TXFocus210
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 79087
What I Drive: 2010 Focus SE 5spd, 98 240sx(kouki)

FF Reputation: 1 TXFocus210 Good Standing Member
I forced my intake in to the spot that is suppose to hold it in....I also Wrapped the MAF sensor around the front of the intake. Because the other way (which is the way you have it) Seemed like it would break it.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2011, 02:13 PM   #3
lacole725
Focus Enthusiast

Points 3,062, Level 34
Level Up 8% Completed
Forum Activity 4%
I initially had it going in front of the intake but it seemed like there was more pressure on it, so I put it behind it. That reduced the pressure by a tiny bit but not much. Did you have problems with the coupler at the throttle body? I just ordered a Samco reducer and a matching coupler for the bottom since they come in blue, so hopefully that will work out. I'm going to go check the intake later beause it will come off whenerver it feels like it, but it stayed in the same place the whole ride home last night (about 15 miles). I really do like it though, sounds nice on the car.
Old 06-19-2011, 04:16 PM   #4
lacole725
Focus Enthusiast

Points 3,062, Level 34
Level Up 8% Completed
Forum Activity 4%
I just went and looked at it again. The intake is still on like it was last night. I also tried connecting the MAF sensor around the front and it is extremely tight. I posted something on FSWerks facebook page and they said the intake probably wasn't installed correctly. I mean, it ain't sticking out my roof. The problem is all the variances between different model years, plain and simple.
Old 06-19-2011, 04:36 PM   #5
TXFocus210
Focus Enthusiast

I didn't have problems with the couplers at all. I pretty much had plenty to choose from and tightened them until I couldn't tighten them anymore....Overall I like it. The only problem I had was the damn rubber thing on the bottom where the 2nd hose goes.
Old 06-19-2011, 04:37 PM   #6
Focusalaska
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 68329
What I Drive: 2009 Ebony SES

FF Reputation: 2 Focusalaska Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
There should be no difference between model years. There is something definitely up with that.
Team Duratec #23
Official SES Registry #49
Tom's Tune, DDMTUNING 5000k HI/LO & FOGS, Switchback LED turn signals, AR103's gapped .54, FSWerks CAI. more to come
Old 06-19-2011, 05:35 PM   #7
lacole725
Focus Enthusiast

Points 3,062, Level 34
Level Up 8% Completed
Forum Activity 4%
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXFocus210 View Post
I didn't have problems with the couplers at all. I pretty much had plenty to choose from and tightened them until I couldn't tighten them anymore....Overall I like it. The only problem I had was the damn rubber thing on the bottom where the 2nd hose goes.
I did too, at first. When I put the hose in, it pushed it through into the tube but I got it the second time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focusalaska View Post
There should be no difference between model years. There is something definitely up with that.
I mean like from 03-11. There are different air box setups and they are all attached differently. In the directions they say you have to take something off from underneath the car. I did take off the cover thing but I really didn't need to because I would have been able to remove the stock intake from the top.

I think all I need is the reducer and I will be fine. It looks to be holding the way it is but I will find out when I drive the car this week. The reducer will make the fit even tighter and the clamp should seal it up.
Old 06-19-2011, 05:50 PM   #8
Focusalaska
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 68329
What I Drive: 2009 Ebony SES

FF Reputation: 2 Focusalaska Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
You shouldn't need the reducer. Unless you have been a major accident physically altering the front sub-frame, you should be able to the the CAI positioned correctly. I would loosen all the clamps and re position it the correct way. It WILL fit the way it is supposed to without any modifications. Like i said before SOMETHING is off on the alignment.
Team Duratec #23
Official SES Registry #49
Tom's Tune, DDMTUNING 5000k HI/LO & FOGS, Switchback LED turn signals, AR103's gapped .54, FSWerks CAI. more to come
Old 06-19-2011, 05:56 PM   #9
lacole725
Focus Enthusiast

Points 3,062, Level 34
Level Up 8% Completed
Forum Activity 4%
Hmm, I will look at it again. I will also have the shop where I am taking it Tuesday to take a look too.
Old 06-19-2011, 06:10 PM   #10
TXFocus210
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacole725 View Post
Hmm, I will look at it again. I will also have the shop where I am taking it Tuesday to take a look too.
Off topic But I see you have the Exhaust.....Im currently prepping for an event anually held in Vernon, TX Called Summers Last Blast.

Would you say the Exhaust adds to the appeal of the car? and can you tell a difference on top of the CAI?

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.