Adding backup camera - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-14-2011, 05:24 PM   #1
eric8784
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 86785
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black SEL

FF Reputation: 1 eric8784 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Adding backup camera

Hey guys.. I just got a 2012 SEL with MFT without the backup camera. Now I think I want it

I was able to locate the camera, module and hardware on fordparts.com. My question is, how difficult would it be to install myself? Is it possible that it my car is already pre-wired (as in plug and play)? I noticed on some F150 and mustang forums that some are saying it is prewired if there is MFT or nav installed already. I know that a flash will be needed but Im a little unsure of the installation itself.

Any help would be appreciated and TIA!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2011, 06:26 PM   #2
cchaos
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86214
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 cchaos Good Standing Member
I would be interested too. I don't know if it's prewired, but my titanium occasionally shows a message on the console when in reverse that a "backup camera is not installed". This makes me think it may be upgradable.
Old 06-17-2011, 10:14 AM   #3
AmishGuy91
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 85045
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 1 AmishGuy91 Good Standing Member
Same boat as you...wish I had purchased the parking technology package.
Old 06-17-2011, 10:21 AM   #4
cappa
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85229
What I Drive: 2000 VW Golf / 2012 Ford Focus Ti

FF Reputation: 1 cappa Good Standing Member
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-NoYooLm...y-Cameras.html
Old 06-17-2011, 10:25 AM   #5
cchaos
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86214
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 cchaos Good Standing Member
Here is the message I occasionally see on the MFT screen when I shift into R. Sorry for the quality, was on my cell phone. I guess MFT is programmed to look for a backup camera even if one is not installed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cappa View Post
I wonder how difficult it would be to wire one of those to MFT.
Old 06-17-2011, 10:50 AM   #6
mysticbluebmw
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85252
What I Drive: 2013 Accord EX-L V6 w/Navi

FF Reputation: 1 mysticbluebmw Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by cchaos View Post
Here is the message I occasionally see on the MFT screen when I shift into R. Sorry for the quality, was on my cell phone. I guess MFT is programmed to look for a backup camera even if one is not installed.

That's just another example of poor programming integration with the MFT. That and the SD card errors people w/o nav have been getting is completely mickey mouse and unacceptable.

As for the camera, if you don't get the OEM parts from Ford, I would recommend getting the best aftermarket camera you can get. The MFT is such a nice hi-res screen, I don't think it would look very good with a cheap lo-res camera. It's just a guess, though.

Laguna Seca Pedals
Old 06-17-2011, 11:42 AM   #7
Titanium12
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86295
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 Titanium12 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric8784 View Post
Hey guys.. I just got a 2012 SEL with MFT without the backup camera. Now I think I want it

I was able to locate the camera, module and hardware on fordparts.com. My question is, how difficult would it be to install myself? Is it possible that it my car is already pre-wired (as in plug and play)? I noticed on some F150 and mustang forums that some are saying it is prewired if there is MFT or nav installed already. I know that a flash will be needed but Im a little unsure of the installation itself.

Any help would be appreciated and TIA!

Yea, I would have liked to have gotten it on my Titanium but I didn't want to pay for the assisted parking technology package to get it.....$795 to parallel park once or twice a year? Come on! If I lived in New York or somewhere I had to aprk on the street everyday then maybe. It is a cool feature and I would have liked to get the camera by itself....but not for the price.
Delivery Date: June 29, 2011
Old 06-17-2011, 01:00 PM   #8
mysticbluebmw
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85252
What I Drive: 2013 Accord EX-L V6 w/Navi

FF Reputation: 1 mysticbluebmw Good Standing Member
I thought of it as, for spending $695 to get the front parking sensors and backup cam, and then get the Park Assist for free.

Laguna Seca Pedals
Old 06-17-2011, 01:30 PM   #9
Dethpickle
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86276
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium HB

FF Reputation: 1 Dethpickle Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by cchaos View Post

This suggests that it might be as simple as supplying a video feed... but then, there may be another module that has to attach to MFT - Something to overlay the lines, register the steering wheel position to bend the travel lines and such...

If anyone has pulled apart the dash yet, is there a simple RCA input on the back of the head unit (or somewhere else) or is the some complex connector that another "backup module" attaches to? Maybe some PAC-love down the road then for an aftermarket module.

I don't have my focus yet, but am in the same boat of not wanting to pay 700 for the parking package, but am addicted to the camera in my Murano. I think wiring the aftermarket camera would be the worst part.

D.
Old 06-17-2011, 01:31 PM   #10
MGDeftones
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86854
What I Drive: 2012 TI

FF Reputation: 1 MGDeftones Good Standing Member
I got my titanium off the lot and it came equipped with the active park assist package. Not something I would have ordered because of the cost, but I do like the back up camera. I don't think I've had to parallel park in over a year. I just picked up the car on Wednesday and I think I'm going to drive around after work today just to look for a place to try the SAPP

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->