2012 Focus SEL - Sirius Radio Module Missing - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics

Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics The Forum for the Ford Focus audiophiles. The place to chat about automobile sound systems, security systems, or show off your I.C.E.!
Sponsored By: GT Sound Control

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-13-2011, 10:01 PM   #1
Stryker777
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 86769
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black SEL

FF Reputation: 1 Stryker777 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
2012 Focus SEL - Sirius Radio Module Missing

Good afternoon. We just purchased a beautiful 2012 SEL in Tuxedo black with stone leather. The only thing it seemed to be missing was the MFT (my ford touch) and Titanium package but we didnt want to pay an extra couple grand when we were after fuel mileage. The SEL has all of the features we were looking for except when the salesman got in the car to run through his checklist and pushed on the Sirius button nothing happened. He ran through the in-dash menu and Sirius was there but subdued like it could not be selected. We then consulted the almighty options list and Sirius was missing. The car has everything except Navigation, MFT and the system that helps you parallel park.

I am thinking that its just a little module under the dash that could be ordered from the parts department....NOT! They didnt have any visibility on the part in question and made a call to some Ford folks who didnt either. Granted the 2012 just hit the streets but does anyone have any idea whether it is as simple as installing a radio module or how Ford is dealing with this? The vehicle interface is ready it is missing the Sirius radio.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2011, 10:33 PM   #2
mikeeshaq
Focus Addict

Fan#: 72526
What I Drive: 2010 Transit Connect

FF Reputation: 15 mikeeshaq Great Standing Member
You will have to research this but this is how...

Go back to dealership, find a car just like your except it has what you want,write down its vin number

Now go to www.fordparts.com
Plug in YOUR vin number, go to Category of Electronics and Telematics then select Mobile Multi-media, print everything then pertains to radio.

Now plug in the other cars VIN number do same thing and see what differences there are

My bet [I could be wrong] is that it is the WHOLE module has to be changed to get what you want it is just not adding a module
Old 06-15-2011, 02:33 PM   #3
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Hello,

The best option is to contact SIRIUS at 1-888-539-7474 to see if it is available. You may need to provide your Satellite Electronic Serial Number (ESN) when contacting SIRIUS Radio. To retrieve your ESN:

For vehicles without the in-dash navigation system:
- Press the "SIRIUS" and the #1 pre-set buttons on the radio simultaneously and release.
- The SIRIUS Radio ESN will display on the radio message center.
- If further direction is needed, please consult the Electronics selection of your owner's guide.

~Natasha

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford
Old 06-16-2011, 11:54 PM   #4
Stryker777
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeeshaq View Post

My bet [I could be wrong] is that it is the WHOLE module has to be changed to get what you want it is just not adding a module
The dealership didnt have a parts list that included just the sirius module and from what I have read in other places, the Sirius is designed / included with the My Ford Touch system so I don't think you are too far off. Dealership did say that the Ford radio vendor they contacted are in progress to reverse engineer it and hopefully come out with something in the near future (whatever reverse engineer implies - especially a solution that doesn't void the warranty).

Greatly appreciate the posts folks. I will keep digging and might try the vin comparison between vehicles as you suggested or call Sirius.
Old 06-17-2011, 03:57 AM   #5
Gabe2010SE
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 70327
What I Drive: '13 Mustang 5.0L 6spd, '10 Focus SE

FF Reputation: 2 Gabe2010SE Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCustomerService View Post
Hello,

The best option is to contact SIRIUS at 1-888-539-7474 to see if it is available. You may need to provide your Satellite Electronic Serial Number (ESN) when contacting SIRIUS Radio. To retrieve your ESN:

For vehicles without the in-dash navigation system:
- Press the "SIRIUS" and the #1 pre-set buttons on the radio simultaneously and release.
- The SIRIUS Radio ESN will display on the radio message center.
- If further direction is needed, please consult the Electronics selection of your owner's guide.

~Natasha
Natasha,

If the Sirius module (the actual Satellite radio tuner) is not there, there won't be an ESN to retrieve, since it's stored in the tuner/module (which is not there?)

It could be that the car is Sirius-capable and not Sirius-equipped.

Sometimes the radio shows the available option, even though the car may not have that option ...

A tuner should be able to be added on ... we use a company that comes down and does the install.
Old 06-17-2011, 09:39 AM   #6
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Hi everyone,

Stryker777, I hope your dealer is able to provide a successful resolution, while keeping the warranty active. AWD_Gabe, you are correct that the ESN may not come up, but if it has a number assigned in the menu, it may help SIRIUS accurately answer any questions.

~Natasha

Old 06-19-2011, 07:51 PM   #7
Stryker777
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD_Gabe View Post
...It could be that the car is Sirius-capable and not Sirius-equipped. Sometimes the radio shows the available option, even though the car may not have that option...
So a point of clarification, the car does not have a Sirius button like I have seen on the other Focus we test drove. It shows Sirius in the 'Menu' along with the Sync Media, Radio and CD selections but no button. I went out to attempt the button + #1 to see if there was a radio / module but there was no button to use.

[/QUOTE]
It could be that the car is Sirius-capable and not Sirius-equipped.[/QUOTE]

This is what I am starting to believe and am curious if this is what the dealership was talking about in the 'reverse engineering' reference. Perhaps the company that could provide the module has simply not figured out where it is located or how it integrates into the newer 2012 model vehicles.
Old 06-20-2011, 12:13 PM   #8
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Hi Stryker777,

I reviewed with my technical expert, and at this time there are no options available from Ford to install SIRIUS. I am not sure if your dealer is working with a particular company on a "reverse engineer". I will keep you updated if I find out any future information on a SIRIUS module from Ford.

~Natasha

Old 06-20-2011, 04:09 PM   #9
Stryker777
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCustomerService View Post
Hi Stryker777,

I reviewed with my technical expert, and at this time there are no options available from Ford to install SIRIUS. I am not sure if your dealer is working with a particular company on a "reverse engineer". I will keep you updated if I find out any future information on a SIRIUS module from Ford.

~Natasha
Excellent. Thanks for the help. I will keep my ear to the ground when / if Ford releases a module. On a similar vein, the radio is acting really querky so we made an appointment to check it out. It starts up on 'Sync line in' for starters vs. The state in which I left the system last. Perhaps the dealer can assess whether a module is present and just not active and if not, replace the radio with one that has Sirius. It is possible it might just be a software patch or firmware bugs but one can hope.

Thanks again!

Dave
Old 07-14-2011, 06:01 PM   #10
edbydsea
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 87808
What I Drive: race red

FF Reputation: 1 edbydsea Good Standing Member
2012 Focus SEL - Sirius Radio Module Missing also

We purchased a 2012 Focus SEL last week with the same Sirius issue. The dealer referred us to the local company that handles their radio problems. They said it needed a module and a wiring harness. They called the only 2 sources for the module and harness and they were told parts not available and will not be for possibly 6 months. I asked about a rough price to install and was told around $600.00. So we will pass on Sirius for this new car. Crazy for Ford to have the option to select Sirius on the radio and it doesn't work. I have Sirius on a 2008 F150 and and all I had to do was give them the ESN number but not with the new Focus. We were disappointed as well since our sales rep during demo of the car he optioned through all the radio select features and we all saw the Sirius option that now will never work!!!!!!!!

Bookmarks & Social Networks