2012 Focus Transmission Shaking - Page 2 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-05-2011, 11:02 AM   #11
hgrizzard
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 86437
What I Drive: 2012 grey Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 1 hgrizzard Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Me again

Good morning,
Yes, I've been in a manual transmission car. I've driven autocross and hill climb events. First car was a Sunbeam then a manual tran Mustang 289. I've also bought many, many new cars and I've never experienced problems that caused me to take it back to the dealership this many times. I'm 59 years old and not a newbie to what smooth and rough rides feel like. I don't mind a harder than normal shift to gain power and economy; I just don't want to crack a tooth. Also remember, this is all happening at a constant 2 or 3 miles an hour. There is no acceleration involved. In fact, it is under very light pressure on the break, just like in a stop-and-go traffic situation. It feels like the trans can't make up it's mind if it wants to be in neutral of first gear and very quickly shutters between the two. And, the trans expert at the Ford dealership says it's not normal when he rode in the parking lot with me yesterday. He was actually astonished. Finally, I've done more than make a cell phone video of this. As the news director for a television station, I've had a photographer record the shuttering on a Panasonic P2 camera to document this whole episode. If I wind up having to post it online, I'll provide a link. I just want it fixed or my money back.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2011, 09:38 AM   #12
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

Points 3,298, Level 35
Points: 3,298, Level: 35 Points: 3,298, Level: 35 Points: 3,298, Level: 35
Level Up 66% Completed
Level up: 66% Level up: 66% Level up: 66%
Forum Activity 21%
Activity: 21% Activity: 21% Activity: 21%
FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Hi hgrizzard,

I am truly sorry for the hassle you are experiencing with your shifting concerns. I understand that it is very frustrating to have to worry about your brand new car shaking all over inside, especially to the point you are unable to even have a cup of coffee. It is positive news that the dealer is actively working to diagnose your issue. I would like to assist in resolving this for you. Please PM me your VIN, contact info, mileage, and dealer so I can try to help.

~Natasha

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordServiceUS facebook.com/FordFocus

M - F 11 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET | Send a PM? Pls allow 2 business days for reply
Old 06-06-2011, 10:16 AM   #13
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Points 3,298, Level 35
Level Up 66% Completed
Forum Activity 21%
Quote:
Originally Posted by safetyguy14 View Post
I like how you attack the guy for not knowing "that's just how transmissions are" and "have you ever driven a manual!!!" when he clearly states he drove a different focus that does not have the problem and he had 2 different service people say it's not normal. There is a difference from DSG shuttering and an entire car shaking. Thanks for all the sterling advice moose.

To the OP: I wish I could help but I'm still waiting for mine to get delivered ><
Hi safetyguy14,

I would be more than happy to track your Focus for you. If you would like me to provide you with updates, please PM me with your VIN if you have it, or your order number. If you have a receipt from your dealer, you should have an order number. It is usually 4 digits, 3 numbers and 1 letter, or just 4 numbers. Please also include your dealer code or dealer name and state. I promise to make your wait as enjoyable as possible!

~Natasha

Old 06-09-2011, 10:10 AM   #14
hgrizzard
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 86437
What I Drive: 2012 grey Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 1 hgrizzard Good Standing Member
And how would I do that?

Natasha,
How exactly do I PM you? This is a no reply email.
And, here is the latest from the service department, where the car has now sat for nearly two weeks: the brake supposedly disengages the transmission when you step on it. In an earlier conversation they denied that that happens. So at low speeds, they say, the computer is having trouble determining if the transmission should engage or disengage. Thus, the fluttering back and forth between neutral and first gear. The shaking is the car not being able to make up its' mind to go or not to go. So, they say they've made some "programming" changes. We'll see, we'll see. My advice, give these guys another year or two to get the bugs out of this car. Oh yea, and don't forget at less than 4,000 miles, a cooling fan motor burned out.
Old 06-09-2011, 12:17 PM   #15
Vexorg
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85499
What I Drive: 2001 Zx3 ChromeGold

FF Reputation: 3 Vexorg Good Standing Member
Click on the ford logo picture... it will send you to the personal message screen.
Old 06-09-2011, 12:54 PM   #16
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Points 3,298, Level 35
Level Up 66% Completed
Forum Activity 21%
Hi hgrizzard,

As Vexorg posted, click on the picture, or you can click on my username, then select the third option down, "Send a private message to FordCustomerService". Please include your VIN, contact info, mileage, and dealer so I can assist. I will keep a look out for your reply.

~Natasha

Old 06-13-2011, 04:48 PM   #17
sdailey123
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 86752
What I Drive: 2012, white, Focus

FF Reputation: 1 sdailey123 Good Standing Member
I have the same issue

I just got a 2012 Focus Hatchback (Titanium) and I have to say that I do love the car. However, I have had the shuddering problem that you mention but I dont seem to have it to the extent you describe. I was sitting in traffic the other day for about 30 minutes and every time I inched forward my car felt like it was going to stall. This is a real pain in the neck to me, and am considering bringing it back to the dealer to see if they can change the idle speed, but Im not sure if they can. Overall the car is awesome, but this shuddering thing is something that Im really not wanting to live with for the next 8 years (or so)!

If anyone has any success stories on getting this fixed, I would love to hear about it!
Old 06-13-2011, 06:06 PM   #18
1bille1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 82596
What I Drive: 2000 black zts

FF Reputation: 1 1bille1 Good Standing Member
If you get no love from FOrd, then google TExas Lemon Laws
Old 06-14-2011, 11:36 AM   #19
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Points 3,298, Level 35
Level Up 66% Completed
Forum Activity 21%
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdailey123 View Post
I just got a 2012 Focus Hatchback (Titanium) and I have to say that I do love the car. However, I have had the shuddering problem that you mention but I dont seem to have it to the extent you describe. I was sitting in traffic the other day for about 30 minutes and every time I inched forward my car felt like it was going to stall. This is a real pain in the neck to me, and am considering bringing it back to the dealer to see if they can change the idle speed, but Im not sure if they can. Overall the car is awesome, but this shuddering thing is something that Im really not wanting to live with for the next 8 years (or so)!

If anyone has any success stories on getting this fixed, I would love to hear about it!
Hi sdailey123,

Congrats on your new Focus! I am so glad you love it! It does take some time for it to get acclimated to your driving habits. Since it feels like it is going to stall, I suggest having the dealer take a look to make sure everything is functioning correctly. Please PM me with your VIN, contact information, mileage, and servicing dealer information. I will work with you to resolve this.

~Natasha

Old 06-14-2011, 07:12 PM   #20
bt2457
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 86797
What I Drive: 2012 eched ice focus

FF Reputation: 1 bt2457 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmoose View Post
This is normal. Many people have complained about this before (including Fiesta owners), but they're just not used to dual clutch transmissions. This isn't a PowerShift exclusive issue either. The DSG system used in Volkswagens have the same issue. It's just how these transmissions work. They have a very notchy feel to them because they're technically automated manual transmissions.

What makes this different from regular automatics is the absence of the torque converter, which smooths out the shifting process. You're probably asking "well why the hell don't they have one?" Because torque converters are highly inefficient and sap a lot of power from the engine and reduce fuel economy considerably. The only solution would be to switch to a CVT or another traditional automatic car.

Sorry to put it so bluntly but that's just the reality of it. If it makes you any happier Ford is talking about development of an 8-speed transmission in the future (which is not dual clutch). Personally I would love to get my hands on a PowerShift car. Ford is probably the only manufacturer in America that is pioneering this wonderful technology for entry level cars (bonus points for using a maintenance-free dry system).
Well Moose, I would be happy to sale you mine. I've had it for 3 weeks, it has 1300 miles on it. you can have it for what I paid.
We have almost been broad sided because it likes to stop after accelleration and try to figue out what gear to go to next. Problem is, the program is designed to "learn" our driving habits. Well, that may be fine if there is only one driver but, when there is 2, It can't handle the pressure. There are other issues with it as well; Shuddering, studdering and just when you get used to the hesitation, it shoots off the line making it impossible to learn to guage the merging process.
I took it back today They have 3 attempts to fix it and after 15 days "out of service" I can send FoMoCo the little form in the back of the Lemon Law brochure.
Thus begins my trip down Lemon Law Lane.....

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.