Aftermarket Deck W/ Stock SVT Sub Wiring (Re-visited) - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics

Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics The Forum for the Ford Focus audiophiles. The place to chat about automobile sound systems, security systems, or show off your I.C.E.!
Sponsored By: GT Sound Control

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-13-2011, 03:26 PM   #1
kwg2371
Focus Addict

Fan#: 82857
What I Drive: 03 screming yellow SVT #1841

Points 3,652, Level 38
Points: 3,652, Level: 38 Points: 3,652, Level: 38 Points: 3,652, Level: 38
Level Up 2% Completed
Level up: 2% Level up: 2% Level up: 2%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 3 kwg2371 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Thumbs up Aftermarket Deck W/ Stock SVT Sub Wiring (Re-visited)

I figure I'd make a new how to on this since there seems to be some confusion with the other thread, I will make this simple to understand for those with no knowledge of electronics or wiring skills

this took me under 30 min to do and all you'll need is simple tools. to do a professional job you will need the following
1. wire cutter
2. soldering iron
3.heat shrink/electrical tape
4.spare RCA cable

now lets talk pin out, pin out is the wires going to your connector, in which case it is the BLACK plug connector

you will have 7 wires going into it
and you will need to cut 3 of the wires on the black connector, with the 7 wires going to it
the only ones you need to worry about are

WHITE/RED-amp turn on (6volts)
WHITE/BLACK-pre amp output (+)
GRAY/BLACK-pre amp output (-)

when cutting the wires make sure you leave some room on it just incase you decide to put a stock HU back in

now after you have your 3 wires cut, It's time to hook them up
the first one (in no particular order) will be your (system remote control/amp power wire) which on most normal aftermarket HU's are
BLUE/white or just solid BLUE all wiring should be labeled

so you'll take your system control/amp power wire
which is BLUE/WHITE and connect it to the WHITE/RED wire like so

now the next step you'll need to hook up your +/- pre amp outputs to a spare RCA cable

now to figure out whats what cut off some of the wire coating and you will see 2 wires like so

the wire in the middle will be your (+)
and the wire on the out side will be you (-)
now I ended up using and old scosche RCA which had a clear/and black coating on the wire the CLEAR being positive and the BLACK being negative

now you will want to hook up you +/- to the RCA wire( be very careful with the RCA wires since they are very small and frail and will break easily)

first we will take the
WHITE/BLACK which is the positive(+) and hook that up to the center RCA wire(or what ever other color you have that's positive)

second you'll take the
GRAY/BLACK which is negative(-) and hook it up to the out the outside wire(black or what ever color is your negative wire) once thats done it should look like this

after you've hooked up all three wires plug you RCA cable into the back of your aftermarket HU in a SUB pre-out ( it doesn't matter if its red or white)

this should be your final product

now plug everything back in and test it out (test it before re-installing the HU back into the dash)

if you've done everything correctly you now will have boom booms in your car

and please don't' mind the butt connectors they where use just for the mock up and how to

HatchNation #36
FF 13 best audio
FF 13 3rd place best in class SVT
FFW 13 best focus
FFW 13-14 best in class SVT

Last edited by kwg2371; 06-14-2011 at 03:11 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2011, 10:39 PM   #2
eliaslincoln
Black Mesa Racing

Fan#: 6025
What I Drive: 2010 C30 R-design & 2002 ZX3

Points 8,738, Level 62
Points: 8,738, Level: 62 Points: 8,738, Level: 62 Points: 8,738, Level: 62
Level Up 96% Completed
Level up: 96% Level up: 96% Level up: 96%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 11 eliaslincoln Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (8)
good revisit, this helped me finish where i got stuck 2 nights ago thanks a lot!!!
Old 11-07-2011, 03:31 PM   #3
loudfocus01
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 26006
What I Drive: 2001 White LX 2002 Infra-Red Svt

FF Reputation: 107 loudfocus01 Excellent Standing Member loudfocus01 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (17)
I followed this how too and when I turn on my headunit, I hear a buzzing sound coming from the subwoofer.

What could be causing this? How do I fix it?

Last edited by loudfocus01; 11-07-2011 at 06:04 PM.
Old 11-08-2011, 06:16 PM   #4
loudfocus01
Focus Fanatic

FF Reputation: 107 loudfocus01 Excellent Standing Member loudfocus01 Excellent Standing Member
Anybody know?
Old 11-08-2011, 07:36 PM   #5
mitchv
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 79720
What I Drive: 2003 blue zx3

FF Reputation: 4 mitchv Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
White noise, headunit isnt good enough (doesnt have enough volts on the pre out) to push a sub or go into the amp, your bassically getting noise from somewhere, Get a aftermarket deck
Old 11-09-2011, 02:49 PM   #6
loudfocus01
Focus Fanatic

I ran 2 12"s and a 1000 watt amp off this deck in my sedan.
I don't see how the deck wouldn't be good enough in my svt with a stock sub/amp setup.
Old 12-03-2011, 12:58 PM   #7
JimmySVT170
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 68945
What I Drive: 2003 Pitch Black SVT

FF Reputation: 1 JimmySVT170 Good Standing Member
This is a good revisit, but heres my issue; Im buying an aftermarket HU and EQ and need to hookup the front speakers and rear speakers to the EQ with RCA cables. Usually you just use run cables to the amp but im keeping the stock SVT amp and sub. Help? :)
Old 12-08-2011, 01:43 PM   #8
Grinder
Banned

Fan#: 85627
What I Drive: 2003 CD silver SVT

FF Reputation: 10 Grinder Great Standing Member
I'm in the process of doing this conversion as well. I bought a Sony DSX-S100 and I intend to incorporate my factory sub. I opted not to spend another $100 to make my steering wheel controls work.....yet.

Anyhow, I follow these instructions 100% with the exception of my sub + and -

My deck has 3 pairs of RCA jacks (one white end, one red end) on the back. One labeled "Front audio out" , another labeled "BUS audio in" and another "Rear/Sub audio out".

My front and rear speakers will be wired through the pigtail harness that also has my antenna, powers and grounds...right?

If I use the signal and sheild wires of a spare RCA cable as my sub + and -, which RCA cable labled "Rear/Sub audio out" do I plug the spare RCA cable into? Red or white?

Shouldn't I simply splice the WH/BK and GY/BK to the Red AND White RCA outputs?

I just don't understand why there are two sub output RCA cables but I would use only one. Is the red sub cable for aftermarket sub #1 and the white for aftermarket sub #2?

Also, I have heard that it is necessary to wire a resistor in series with the amp wake-up power (RD/WH) because otherwise I will get a popping noise from the sub when I turn the radio on/off. Does the factory sub run on 6v instead of 12v? If I need a resistor, how big? I've heard anywhere from 200 ohms to 1.5K ohms......

Another thing making this more difficult is that I'm replacing an aftermarket deck. The crappy Dual unit currently in the car is junk and the meathead who installed it didn't use an adapter plug. Little of the factory harness connector is intact. I'll be hard-wiring pretty much everything....

I'm really comfortable with DC electrical circuits but I haven't done a lot of car audio work so this is a bit new to me. I'm not familiar with crossovers and bridges and other popular aftermarket audio devices...so I'd like to make this work with as little modification as possible

Thanks in advance for the help!
Old 12-08-2011, 04:24 PM   #9
kwg2371
Focus Addict

Fan#: 82857
What I Drive: 03 screming yellow SVT #1841

Points 3,652, Level 38
Points: 3,652, Level: 38 Points: 3,652, Level: 38 Points: 3,652, Level: 38
Level Up 2% Completed
Level up: 2% Level up: 2% Level up: 2%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 3 kwg2371 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinder View Post
I'm in the process of doing this conversion as well. I bought a Sony DSX-S100 and I intend to incorporate my factory sub. I opted not to spend another $100 to make my steering wheel controls work.....yet.

Anyhow, I follow these instructions 100% with the exception of my sub + and -

My deck has 3 pairs of RCA jacks (one white end, one red end) on the back. One labeled "Front audio out" , another labeled "BUS audio in" and another "Rear/Sub audio out".

My front and rear speakers will be wired through the pigtail harness that also has my antenna, powers and grounds...right?

If I use the signal and sheild wires of a spare RCA cable as my sub + and -, which RCA cable labled "Rear/Sub audio out" do I plug the spare RCA cable into? Red or white?

Shouldn't I simply splice the WH/BK and GY/BK to the Red AND White RCA outputs?

I just don't understand why there are two sub output RCA cables but I would use only one. Is the red sub cable for aftermarket sub #1 and the white for aftermarket sub #2?

Also, I have heard that it is necessary to wire a resistor in series with the amp wake-up power (RD/WH) because otherwise I will get a popping noise from the sub when I turn the radio on/off. Does the factory sub run on 6v instead of 12v? If I need a resistor, how big? I've heard anywhere from 200 ohms to 1.5K ohms......

Another thing making this more difficult is that I'm replacing an aftermarket deck. The crappy Dual unit currently in the car is junk and the meathead who installed it didn't use an adapter plug. Little of the factory harness connector is intact. I'll be hard-wiring pretty much everything....

I'm really comfortable with DC electrical circuits but I haven't done a lot of car audio work so this is a bit new to me. I'm not familiar with crossovers and bridges and other popular aftermarket audio devices...so I'd like to make this work with as little modification as possible

Thanks in advance for the help!
1. correct front and rear speakers will be wired in to the existing stock harness(unless you plan on throwing an after market amp to power the speakers)

2. you only need ONE RCA to be spliced in and you can plug it in to either white or red output, it doesn't matter which one its plugged into (just make sure you understand what is positive an negative on the RCA cable)

3. in some circumstances you wont need a resistor (the way I have mine wired as shown in this how to, I don't get any kind of popping noise, most decks now a days have built in sub crossovers to where you can adjust them and there frequencies) you'll just have to take a look at the manual.

the one on my deck is accessed threw the main controls where I would adjust highs, lows, bass and treble ETC. I have the option to adjust from 50 -/+ 6, 80 -/+6, 120 -/+6

my best advice is if you can find someone parting out a junk SVT if they would be willing to chop off the stock wiring plug harness's so you don't have to hard wire directly to the deck
hope this helps
HatchNation #36
FF 13 best audio
FF 13 3rd place best in class SVT
FFW 13 best focus
FFW 13-14 best in class SVT
Old 12-08-2011, 04:59 PM   #10
Grinder
Banned

Fan#: 85627
What I Drive: 2003 CD silver SVT

FF Reputation: 10 Grinder Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwg2371 View Post
1. correct front and rear speakers will be wired in to the existing stock harness(unless you plan on throwing an after market amp to power the speakers)

2. you only need ONE RCA to be spliced in and you can plug it in to either white or red output, it doesn't matter which one its plugged into (just make sure you understand what is positive an negative on the RCA cable)

3. in some circumstances you wont need a resistor (the way I have mine wired as shown in this how to, I don't get any kind of popping noise, most decks now a days have built in sub crossovers to where you can adjust them and there frequencies) you'll just have to take a look at the manual.

the one on my deck is accessed threw the main controls where I would adjust highs, lows, bass and treble ETC. I have the option to adjust from 50 -/+ 6, 80 -/+6, 120 -/+6

my best advice is if you can find someone parting out a junk SVT if they would be willing to chop off the stock wiring plug harness's so you don't have to hard wire directly to the deck
hope this helps
Thanks for the response! I understand what I'm doing now but I still don't get what the difference between your suggestion and me simply splicing my sub + to my red RCA sub output and my sub - to my white RCA sub output.

By using the shield of the RCA cable as ground, you eliminate the cables ability to filter RFI noise. So, if the only difference between the two above suggestions is that I am using a single RCA to run two output circuits wouldn't the extra 30 seconds required to run two RCA cables be worth my while due to RFI filtering ability?

The reason I ask is I have a hard time believing Sony would go through the trouble of putting a red SUB + and a white SUB - on the back of my headunit if all I need is one wire.

If it works it works, I'm just trying to figure out the difference between the two methods.

From what I gather is:

The pre amp outputs don't require hardly any current flow so by using only one RCA I am basically using the minimal amount of wire required. The sub pre amp - will be grounded at all times through the RCA shield circuit and the signal will travel along the RCA core providing sub pre amp +. The amp gets the signal and steps up the current to the magnet and thus runs the sub. If this is true, Ford just wasted their time and money making a dedicated pre amp - wire between the stereo and amp.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.