Photographers Thread - Post your work - Page 16 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Off-Topic Discussions > Photos & Camera Fanatics

Photos & Camera Fanatics Post your photoshop, photography artwork or camera tips and tricks here.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-09-2011, 03:00 AM   #151
mikebontoft
Aurelius Pardus

Fan#: 58647
What I Drive: 5.9L Grand Cherokee ZJ

Points 23,515, Level 94
Points: 23,515, Level: 94 Points: 23,515, Level: 94 Points: 23,515, Level: 94
Level Up 17% Completed
Level up: 17% Level up: 17% Level up: 17%
Forum Activity 17%
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%
FF Reputation: 76 mikebontoft Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
I would say so.

A professional is someone who does something and is paid for it on a regular basis, no? and if you weren't a professional then you wouldn't still have a job now, would you?
SR #127 | '02 Focus SE "Foci" (5.0 RWD - parted) | '75 BMW 2002 "Carby" (racecar) | '98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L (lifted and fast) | '99 BMW 328is (daily).
ModeratingGeneral Chat Lounge, General Technical Chat, Ford Focus & General Car Chat, and Rocky Mountain Fanatics
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2011, 06:07 AM   #152
AvieF
HN Sammich Maker

Fan#: 83452
What I Drive: '05 RED ZX5 SES/'06 Black Jetta GLI

FF Reputation: 12 AvieF Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
sharing a few shots I took yesterday...tell me how crappy they are ok lol

Old 06-09-2011, 12:10 PM   #153
lyonsroar

Fan#: 63166
What I Drive: 2009 Volkswagen GTI

FF Reputation: 31 lyonsroar Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowJellyBean View Post
I get paid to take/edit pictures like this every day. Does that make me a professional photographer?

Well that depends on your definition of professional. Some say that it's whenever you start getting paid for your work. Some say it's when you make your living off photography. It doesn't really matter...it's just a word.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvieF View Post
sharing a few shots I took yesterday...tell me how crappy they are ok lol
Honestly they look a lot like typical mommy snapshots.

I see that you're shooting with a Rebel XS, same as me. I would get the book "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson. It's good, but I didn't find it to be the miracle as some do. I would also try hard to understand the exposure triangle (ISO, Aperture, Shutter Speed.) I see that you're shooting in "P" Program mode. I would make the jump to AV (aperture priority) and mess around with that for a while before messing with manual.

For example in the bird shot you shutter speed was 1/40 sec but your focal length was 55mm. As a rule the shutter speed should be no slower than the reciprocal of the focal length, which would be 1/55 sec in this case. If you go slower than that you often get blurry pictures because you (the photog) is swaying. I'm starting to see that in that picture.

Also, I'm not sure what you set your white balance too. It says manual white balance, but it's off in several of your pics...1 and 2 are yellow, 3 is pinkish, 4 is warm, etc.

Last edited by lyonsroar; 06-09-2011 at 01:44 PM.
Old 06-09-2011, 12:55 PM   #154
tukaniSVT
FF PHOTOG ENTHUSIAST

Fan#: 5521
What I Drive: 2003 SVT Focus 2009 BMW 335i

Points 36,339, Level 100
Points: 36,339, Level: 100 Points: 36,339, Level: 100 Points: 36,339, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 34 tukaniSVT Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I believe you are a professional when you are:
1 - getting paid for your work on a daily basis
2 - Pay your taxes on such work ... not under the table
3 - Have found that the fun is more work then fun.
4 - market your self as a professional (website, blogs, pro-networks, etc)
5 - And know your equipment more than ever.
6 - And always have a backup plan ... Back up insurance, back up equipment and backup help.

I have ran into many o many of people in the field, and though many of them are real great at the craft, non of them market themselves nor do all the fun paperwork behind taking the photos.

In the world of media: Stills / video is just 30% of the work ... the other 70% goes to marketing, equipment costs, insurance and contract paperwork.

-Ray-
Hatch Nation Member: #147

R.I.P - FELLOW FF MEMBER, IZZY, BLK2k3GTS, will always be remembered. We will compete on a different course again one day.
Old 06-09-2011, 12:55 PM   #155
tukaniSVT
FF PHOTOG ENTHUSIAST

Points 36,339, Level 100
Points: 36,339, Level: 100 Points: 36,339, Level: 100 Points: 36,339, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
As for your shots ... yeah, I agree, the swimming pool shots look good ... but they are very everyday family shots.

-Ray-

R.I.P - FELLOW FF MEMBER, IZZY, BLK2k3GTS, will always be remembered. We will compete on a different course again one day.
Old 06-09-2011, 12:57 PM   #156
AvieF
HN Sammich Maker

Thnx. I'm not looking to go professional just want nice pics. Sry if they r typical :/
Old 06-09-2011, 02:11 PM   #157
YellowJellyBean
Love CA / Hate CARB

Fan#: 69030
What I Drive: MÜSTÄRD

FF Reputation: 13 YellowJellyBean Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyonsroar View Post
I would get the book "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson. It's good, but I didn't find it to be the miracle as some do.
Hey now...

This is a serious question, just want to preface that. In your opinion, what's a better book for beginners as far as learning about aperture/shutter/light/ISO? Granted the only one I've read is Understanding Exposure, but he lays out what appears to be everything a beginner needs to know about achieving a creatively correct exposure. Is it a pro's book? No, but it definitely got me off on the right path.

Once again, not trying to be argumentative. If there's a better book out there, I will go buy it.

Focus Fanatics
Extremely helpful people
I made a haiku
Old 06-09-2011, 02:35 PM   #158
tukaniSVT
FF PHOTOG ENTHUSIAST

Points 36,339, Level 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Light Science and Magic is a great book to understanding light and how a camera sensor interprets it. It is more of a amateur pro level ... but a good book.

-Ray-

Old 06-09-2011, 03:00 PM   #159
AvieF
HN Sammich Maker

I think ill stick with what I know and that is being a web & graphic designer, i suck at this :\ i am not a quitter however and it may drive me crazy not taking good pics lol....
Old 06-09-2011, 03:09 PM   #160
lyonsroar

Fan#: 63166
What I Drive: 2009 Volkswagen GTI

FF Reputation: 31 lyonsroar Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowJellyBean View Post
Hey now...

This is a serious question, just want to preface that. In your opinion, what's a better book for beginners as far as learning about aperture/shutter/light/ISO? Granted the only one I've read is Understanding Exposure, but he lays out what appears to be everything a beginner needs to know about achieving a creatively correct exposure. Is it a pro's book? No, but it definitely got me off on the right path.

Once again, not trying to be argumentative. If there's a better book out there, I will go buy it.
I wasn't poking at you directly. Everyone on thephotoforum.com says the same thing about that book. I bought it and read it. It's decent I'll say that. I guess I'm just not as much of a book learner as I am a "fiddle around with it 'til it works" learner. I just learned by sitting there often late at night screwing around with my camera.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvieF View Post
I think ill stick with what I know and that is being a web & graphic designer, i suck at this :\ i am not a quitter however and it may drive me crazy not taking good pics lol....
There's always improvement to make. Get the book. Read the manual several times. Maybe join here and read up! http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.