2012 Focus owners - how do you like Powershift tranny so far? - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Model Specific Discussions > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-05-2011, 08:40 PM   #11
chris84
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86417
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus SEL 303a White Plat

FF Reputation: 1 chris84 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I have a fiesta with about 7500 miles on it, the powershift I assume is the same/very similar. I sometimes get a jerk when you're stopping and abruptly get back on the gas, like a red light turning green. I figure it's normal, even if not desirable. Should be picking up my 2012 Focus tomorrow, I'll have to see if it's any different.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2011, 08:46 PM   #12
Joeywhat
Strichmädchen & Koks

Fan#: 85247
What I Drive: 2014 Mustang 3.7L SGM

FF Reputation: 8 Joeywhat Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
If you drive it like an auto, it'll be jerky and you'll get shuttering. It's as simple as that. Was in a friend's Volkswagen today and it felt almost exactly like mine. If you drive it more like a manual, it's just as smooth as any traditional automatic.

That being said I'll reserve judgment for it until it's seen at least 100k miles, and hasn't had any issues. Don't really care how fun or awesome or cool it is if it breaks at 50k. I might change my mind if the paddle shifters didn't SUCK hard. Really not terribly fun to drive in that mode, computer still takes over all the time, and shifts aren't as quick as I'd like them to be.
Old 06-05-2011, 08:47 PM   #13
Joey D
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86391
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black Titanium 5-Dr

FF Reputation: 2 Joey D Good Standing Member
Mine is still breaking in and I get some pretty rough shifts out of it, but it is getting better. It was a little hard to get used to it since I wasn't used to driving a double-clutch before. I rather like it though, I feel the gearing is pretty spot on for the car and delivers great fuel economy at highway speeds, even with my lead foot.

One thing that caught me off guard was the roll back from stop lights, but I'm used to that now as well so there's no issue. Overall I am very happy with it!
Old 06-05-2011, 09:23 PM   #14
CoasterDan
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86083
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE Hatch Tuxedo Black

FF Reputation: 1 CoasterDan Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeywhat View Post
If you drive it like an auto, it'll be jerky and you'll get shuttering. It's as simple as that. Was in a friend's Volkswagen today and it felt almost exactly like mine. If you drive it more like a manual, it's just as smooth as any traditional automatic.
I'm not sure what you mean by that. If I'm going very slowly in first gear, as when I'm in heavy traffic, I'll get some shuddering, which may be clutch chatter. There's only one way to drive the car under those conditions, with little or no throttle.

The only time the trans. is jerky is on the 1-2 and the 2-3 shift and only when the trans. is cold. Maybe that could be avoided by shifting manually in the sport mode. I'll have to see.
Old 06-05-2011, 09:59 PM   #15
Strix
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85696
What I Drive: Not a Ford

FF Reputation: 0 Strix Poor Behavior Needs Improvement
I'm liking it so far; rapidly approaching 2,000 miles on my Focus with PowerShift.

I haven't had any problems. There was a bit of shudder under moderate acceleration when it was very new, but it's quite smooth now (I'm guessing that was the clutches wearing in).

Upshifts are very smooth. Since the dual clutch system provides continuous power to the wheels, shifts are barely noticeable. If not for the change in engine output and note, and the drop of the tachometer needle, you'd barely know it was shifting at all.

But I do feel that it upshifts too quickly in regular (D) mode. It's only a little better in sport (S) mode. It seems that the best way to prevent early upshifting is to mash the throttle down... which is not the greatest thing for your fuel economy, ofc.

In sport mode, it downshifts when you hit the brakes. In fact, it downshifts fairly aggressively throughout the braking process. Very cool. This usually leaves you in a much better gear for exiting a turn than regular mode does.

In D, it's usually a gear (or two) too high after completing a turn. To get it into an appropriate gear requires a heavy foot and a wait for a downshift (or two).

Another thing it does in sport mode is delay upshifts after hard acceleration. This is not nearly as cool as the downshifting under braking. In fact, I don't like it at all. I can see where it might be good to have on a track... but I drive on public roads, haha.

With a normal automatic, when if you accelerate hard to, say, 50 MPH and then let off, the transmission immediately shifts to the highest available gear and the engine very quickly settles down.

With the PowerShift in sport mode, after a hard romp to 50 MPH and then letting off the accelerator, it does not immediately upshift, but rather holds the lower gear for a moment longer (in case you have second thoughts about ceasing acceleration, I guess). This can leave the engine revved up quite high at a time when you think it should be quieting down (you took your foot off the gas, after all). You also get quite a bit of engine braking going on until it finally decides that you really are done accelerating and upshifts.

In regular mode, it behaves exactly like a traditional automatic transmission, immediately upshifting a gear (or two, or three, as needed) when you let off the accelerator.

6th gear is locked out in sport mode, unless you use the plus-minus button on the shifter to get it into 6th gear... but this will put the transmission in manual shift mode. Sport mode does tend to settle into a gear that's a bit lower than when in regular mode. It seems to keep the engine around 1800-2000 RPM, while regular mode will shift into 6th gear at quite low speeds, practically lugging the engine. This is great for fuel economy, but rather annoying when you need to accelerate a bit.

Another rather disconcerting thing (at least the first couple times it happens), is a tendency to roll backwards briefly when moving off on an incline. Never more than a couple inches, though. Not really a problem, just a little reminder of the true nature of the transmission.

I've also noticed that it's sometimes necessary to give the throttle a little goose to get the car moving, especially in reverse. (This could be because of my driveway... a rather haphazard collection of concrete slabs of varying dimensions and horizontality.)

And you can forget about hard launches. No clutch-dumping allowed. You just have to wait for the transmission computer to fully engage things before you get full acceleration. I can't blame Ford for not programming the transmission computer to abuse the drivetrain... but just a little bit harder take-off would be welcome.

The plus-minus button the shifter is a bit of a joke, in my opinion. Shifts seem very slow to come after pushing the button, and it only works in sport mode. And once you press it, the transmission goes into 'manual shift mode' and the only way to get it back into regular or sport mode is to move the shift lever to D (and then back to S if you want automatically shifted sport mode.)

Overall, I think it's a good system. Shifts are smooth and operation is predictable, albeit slightly different than a traditional automatic. 'Sport mode' could use some tweaking. Fuel economy is outstanding. If the longevity is there, it's a winner for sure.
Old 06-05-2011, 11:06 PM   #16
FF4
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 33566
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 0 FF4 Newbie
Strix,

thanks for the detailed and descriptive write up, that was helpful
Old 06-06-2011, 02:41 AM   #17
e30og
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 83765
What I Drive: '13 SG 4dr, Manual

FF Reputation: 2 e30og Good Standing Member
I drove the automatic before going with stick, however the automatic is very smooth. even the shifts feel smoother than an automatic, but they are still noticable. This was especially evident when pushing it; 3 shifts before 60mph seems too much considering im used to 4 and 5 speeds
Old 06-06-2011, 04:02 AM   #18
Tony407
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85289
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray Hatch Titanium

FF Reputation: 4 Tony407 Good Standing Member
All in all I'm pretty impressed & happy.

I really don't care for the "button" shifter though. I suppose paddle shifters wouldn't be too satisfying on a car of this caliber either, but they'd sure be more gratifying than a silly little button on the gear selector. At least there IS one though, a lot of automatics (or DSGs for that matter) don't have any at all.

I have to say that many years ago I test drove a brand new M5 with the DSG and it was the WORST experience of my test-drive life. If you floored the car and went balls-out it performed great. But in day-to-day city driving (read: 99+% of your driving) it was the most reluctant, hesitant, frustrating thing I've experienced in just about any car, much less a $100K~ish car. Talk about awful. The Focus is a dream compared to that car in the shifting department.

Tony
Old 06-06-2011, 07:09 PM   #19
chantspel
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86521
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SFE Candy Blue

FF Reputation: 1 chantspel Good Standing Member
Hey anyone have a clunk when letting off the brake but not putting your foot on the gas? I noticed it today when I was stopped at a red light with a slight decline. I wanted to inch up to the car in front of me and so I just removed my foot from the brake. This is when the clunk happened. I did it twice and sure enough it did it again.

Anyone else experience this? It has about 400 miles on it so far.
Old 06-06-2011, 08:03 PM   #20
Tony407
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85289
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray Hatch Titanium

FF Reputation: 4 Tony407 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by chantspel View Post
Hey anyone have a clunk when letting off the brake but not putting your foot on the gas? I noticed it today when I was stopped at a red light with a slight decline. I wanted to inch up to the car in front of me and so I just removed my foot from the brake. This is when the clunk happened. I did it twice and sure enough it did it again.

Anyone else experience this? It has about 400 miles on it so far.
I've experienced a few minor clunks and some lurching, but nothing too disconcerting.

Tony

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Tags
dct, powershift