Sound System Install - Page 2 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics

Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics The Forum for the Ford Focus audiophiles. The place to chat about automobile sound systems, security systems, or show off your I.C.E.!
Sponsored By: GT Sound Control

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-05-2011, 10:17 PM   #11
Stereodude
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85623
What I Drive: 02 Maxima SE

FF Reputation: 2 Stereodude Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony407 View Post
Asking how the stock system sounds is like asking if the Focus is a "sporty" car. You're likely to get several answers. Obviously I didn't like it or I wouldn't have started replacing things!! LOL
Well, of course it's all relative. The Bose system in my Maxima wasn't quite good enough for me to leave alone. Things eventually progressed on my install and now I've got a fully active 3-way component system with full digital time alignment in my Maxima. I don't think I'm ever going to be happy with any stock system. And, of course I haven't a clue how you put an aftermarket system into something like a Focus Titanium where everything is so integrated.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2011, 10:42 PM   #12
Tony407
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85289
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray Hatch Titanium

FF Reputation: 4 Tony407 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
Well, of course it's all relative. The Bose system in my Maxima wasn't quite good enough for me to leave alone. Things eventually progressed on my install and now I've got a fully active 3-way component system with full digital time alignment in my Maxima. I don't think I'm ever going to be happy with any stock system. And, of course I haven't a clue how you put an aftermarket system into something like a Focus Titanium where everything is so integrated.
I knew I knew you from somewhere!!!! I had a 2001 Maxima and was a member of Maxima.org for several years (screen name Tony Fernandes), and I remember you from there.

I replaced the entire system on my Maxima as well. Fully active 3-way Dynaudio system with an aperiodic sub enclosure in the trunk. Clarion DRX-9255 HU. It was pretty awesome. I haven't been able to match its SQ in any of the other cars I've owned since then, even though I transplanted the same speakers and HU into my Mustang, which I currently own in addition to the Focus.

Well, now that I know a little more where you're coming from, I can tell you you won't be impressed with the Focus system. It sounds better than the Bose system in the Maxima, but if you're used to your system now you won't be able to stand the Focus system for more than a few weeks, months at the most. It sounds "average" and is on par with many other higher-end systems, but not "above average" in my opinion.

I can't see either of us replacing the "head unit" in the dash of our Foci, although with enough money and time I guess anything is possible.

I see the system in my Focus looking something like this when it's finished:

JL Audio ZR 6.5" speakers in the front doors. I might mess around with tweeter placement because I'm not sure the stock pod location is the best. The door panels seem to have a few alternative mounting spots.

I might be able to retrofit the OEM Sony enclosure and put a 10" sub in there (Imagine Dynamics perhaps?). Or maybe not. If not, then I'll either build my own box (not my first choice) or wait for a custom-made enclosure to come out. Patience is not one of my virtues, so I doubt I'll wait too long before trying something on my own.

Audio Control LQC-1 for OEM integration. It allows you to sum the high-level outputs from the Sony tweeters and mid-woofers into one set of full-range RCA pre-amp outputs, in addition to a dedicated sub output as well. Audio Control touts some technology that flattens the EQ curve for bass response, plus has a 7-band EQ for your components and sub. Or something like that. Seems like it'll work out.

JL Audio HD600/4 amp, with half of it driving the front speakers and the other half driving the sub. Or, I might run the fronts active and have a separate sub amp. Depends on how it sounds when I get it all set up.

Tony
Old 06-06-2011, 09:23 AM   #13
automated
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86028
What I Drive: 2012

FF Reputation: 1 automated Good Standing Member
Tony- I'm about to buy with the MFT/Sony package, would you recommend staying away or is it worth it to have everything set up and fairly easy to just swap out? Thanks.
Old 06-06-2011, 01:54 PM   #14
Tony407
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by automated View Post
Tony- I'm about to buy with the MFT/Sony package, would you recommend staying away or is it worth it to have everything set up and fairly easy to just swap out? Thanks.
Well, I can only recommend it only if you're like me, which you're probably not (thank god for you!!! LOL). I'm not done with the install, but assuming everything goes as planned it should be a fairly easy integration. But who knows, there's usually something that throws a wrench into the works. But I'm fairly confident that with the LCQ-1, amp(s) and a new sub everything should come together nicely.

I wanted the MFT because I'm a tech geek, and since the Sony came with it that's what I got. MFT certainly has more than its fair share of glitches, but hopefully Ford will correct the problems soon. Other than that I'm pretty happy so far.

Hope that helps.

Tony
Old 06-06-2011, 02:19 PM   #15
automated
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony407 View Post
Well, I can only recommend it only if you're like me, which you're probably not (thank god for you!!! LOL). I'm not done with the install, but assuming everything goes as planned it should be a fairly easy integration. But who knows, there's usually something that throws a wrench into the works. But I'm fairly confident that with the LCQ-1, amp(s) and a new sub everything should come together nicely.

I wanted the MFT because I'm a tech geek, and since the Sony came with it that's what I got. MFT certainly has more than its fair share of glitches, but hopefully Ford will correct the problems soon. Other than that I'm pretty happy so far.

Hope that helps.

Tony
Definitely, thanks. I have an audiophile-quality system at my home, but for my car I'll sacrifice power for accuracy. I learned from doing my first car system that I didn't need to spend a lot of money to get a good sound for normal driving. From my listening during the test drive, the Sony system didn't sound very loud or very accurate-- the bass seemed overemphasized and boomy without being terribly accurate.

At any rate, I'm not ripping the car apart myself so any upgrades will be done by a trained professional...
Old 06-06-2011, 02:31 PM   #16
Squeak22
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 85595
What I Drive: 2012 Yellow Tri Blaze 5D Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 Squeak22 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by automated View Post
Definitely, thanks. I have an audiophile-quality system at my home, but for my car I'll sacrifice power for accuracy. I learned from doing my first car system that I didn't need to spend a lot of money to get a good sound for normal driving. From my listening during the test drive, the Sony system didn't sound very loud or very accurate-- the bass seemed overemphasized and boomy without being terribly accurate.

At any rate, I'm not ripping the car apart myself so any upgrades will be done by a trained professional...
It depends a lot on how the people before you had it setup. Half the time I get in a test drive car and the bass/treble are all screwed up because someone went in and messed with all the settings. After I spent some time modifying the settings I got it to sound pretty nice. Not amazing, but not bad.
Old 06-06-2011, 05:44 PM   #17
automated
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeak22 View Post
It depends a lot on how the people before you had it setup. Half the time I get in a test drive car and the bass/treble are all screwed up because someone went in and messed with all the settings. After I spent some time modifying the settings I got it to sound pretty nice. Not amazing, but not bad.
That sounds good, I'm pretty well-committed to the 301A package at this point, because there's not an SEL around without it, and the SE with the options I want isn't that much cheaper.
Old 06-06-2011, 06:05 PM   #18
Tony407
Focus Addict

One thing I have noticed, at least according to my ears, is that the bass setting is very touchy. At the mark where it sounds "okay" there's not enough bass. But when I turn it up just one increment then I have too much.

Then again, I'm one of those who always has a dedicated bass knob on my dash to control the sub level and I'm constantly turning it up and down depending on the song. In fact, the closer the bass knob is to my right hand where it rests on the shifter the better.

I've ordered a JL Audio HD600/4 amp, and I already have the HD-RLC bass controller to go with it. I also have all the wiring I need to do the job. The only thing I'm waiting for is the official release of the LCQ-1.

Tony
Old 06-07-2011, 02:54 PM   #19
HammerStriker
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86553
What I Drive: 2012 Ignot Silver Hatchback SEL

FF Reputation: 1 HammerStriker Good Standing Member
Ok, so I'm not crazy...

I'm going through the same thing with my bass settings. I've only had the car for a few days, but I'm used to the high end system I had in my last car.

IMO, the factory system will sound like an awesome factory system to 75% of the people out there. Unfortunatly I'm in the other 25%.

I'm already looking into ways to refit a 10" sub into the OEM box.

(please don't ask my wife about the crazy part)
Old 06-07-2011, 03:38 PM   #20
Tony407
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerStriker View Post
Ok, so I'm not crazy...

I'm going through the same thing with my bass settings. I've only had the car for a few days, but I'm used to the high end system I had in my last car.

IMO, the factory system will sound like an awesome factory system to 75% of the people out there. Unfortunatly I'm in the other 25%.

I'm already looking into ways to refit a 10" sub into the OEM box.

(please don't ask my wife about the crazy part)
Well keep me posted. I'd love to cram a 10" sub in there too if I can find one that will sound good in there. It's not a very big box, so it'll take a special sub to sound good.

Tony

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.