2012 Performance Upgrades - Where To Start? - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current)

DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current) The place to chat about any Duratec 2.0L Ti-VCT engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-05-2011, 05:40 PM   #11
Tony407
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85289
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray Hatch Titanium

FF Reputation: 4 Tony407 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by e30og View Post
I like the way it rumbles now when you push it past 4k RPMs (ok 'rumble' may be too strong a word)...
Sure glad you you added onto the end of your sentence. I read the first part and said: "Rumble? What kind of a car did this guy have before the Focus that he thinks his car rumbles?" LOL!!!

Tony
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2011, 06:52 PM   #12
Joeywhat
Strichmädchen & Koks

Fan#: 85247
What I Drive: 2014 Mustang 3.7L SGM

FF Reputation: 11 Joeywhat Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I guess what I'm really interested here is the theory behind the upgrades. Yeah I can buy a bunch of parts, put them on and be a cool guy rolling down the street with my tinted windows and lowered suspension.

Instead, I'd like to know what parts I should start with, THEN what parts will complement the already installed, and if there are any other parts that should be installed at the same time as to not damage anything or end up with a car that handles like crap.

For instance, if I were to start with the DGR coilovers, are any other parts recommended or even required to be installed with them so the car doesn't exhibit any unusual behavior due to the harder springs and shock? If they can be installed on their own, great. If I should also add some sway bars or stress bars at the same time so the new coilovers don't damage anything during hard use then I'd like to know...or whatever other part is needed in this example.
Old 06-05-2011, 08:29 PM   #13
chris84
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86417
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus SEL 303a White Plat

FF Reputation: 1 chris84 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayer View Post
Just be careful about modding. This 2.0 Ford direct injection engine is pretty new to the American car scene and I'd be afraid that some aftermarket shop will not properly beta test something before releasing it for sale and over time it could cause problems. But I just worry like that because I don't trust most of these aftermarket vendors anymore.

At any rate, you are talking about an engine that already runs a fuel / air ratio of 40 to 1. A normal car is 14 to 1. So I'd be careful about messing around with CAI's and tuners that could alter that ratio even further. I know it's tempting. I'd love to get just a little more out of mine. Let us know how things turn out.
Do you have a reference to this car actually attempting to use an AF ratio of 40:1? As far as I know this pretty much flies in the face of everything I've ever read on the subject. When decelerating maybe, but not all the time?
Old 06-05-2011, 09:24 PM   #14
Stereodude
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85623
What I Drive: 02 Maxima SE

FF Reputation: 2 Stereodude Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris84 View Post
Do you have a reference to this car actually attempting to use an AF ratio of 40:1? As far as I know this pretty much flies in the face of everything I've ever read on the subject. When decelerating maybe, but not all the time?
Apparently when coasting or slowing direct injection motors can run 40:1 or higher.
Old 06-05-2011, 09:26 PM   #15
LiquidGreyZX5
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 35544
What I Drive: 2012 Ingot Silver Metallic Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 LiquidGreyZX5 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris84 View Post
The car actually has a factory wideband A/F sensor (just found this out). At WOT it runs 12.4-12.6:1 ratios which is pretty optimal for a normally aspirated car.

If you have a Dashhawk or Aeroforce Interceptor you can monitor PIDs.
Old 06-05-2011, 09:30 PM   #16
chris84
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86417
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus SEL 303a White Plat

FF Reputation: 1 chris84 Good Standing Member
With this in mind I doubt an aftermarket air intake would have any detrimental impact on the engine- or at least not any more than a non direct injected engine. With a wideband o2 sensor it seems the car would take care if itself just fine.
Old 06-05-2011, 09:48 PM   #17
Tony407
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85289
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray Hatch Titanium

FF Reputation: 4 Tony407 Good Standing Member
I've never really seen much hp and torque increase from aftermarket intakes, unless it's a "true" CAI, which most aren't even though they advertise themselves as such. In fact, I saw a decrease in performance on a 2007 Infiniti M45 I used to own with an Injen "CAI".

For me, aftermarket intakes are all about sound, and occasionally increased throttle response. I love the throaty noise, and the sipping sound they make when you blip the throttle. That and the fact I enjoy modding my cars just for the pure fun of it.

Tony
Old 06-05-2011, 10:51 PM   #18
e30og
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 83765
What I Drive: '13 SG 4dr, Manual

FF Reputation: 2 e30og Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony407 View Post
I've never really seen much hp and torque increase from aftermarket intakes, unless it's a "true" CAI, which most aren't even though they advertise themselves as such. In fact, I saw a decrease in performance on a 2007 Infiniti M45 I used to own with an Injen "CAI".

For me, aftermarket intakes are all about sound, and occasionally increased throttle response. I love the throaty noise, and the sipping sound they make when you blip the throttle. That and the fact I enjoy modding my cars just for the pure fun of it.

Tony
yea It doesnt do squat for performance, but it sounds cool haha. plus you never have to 'replace' the filter, even if you have to pay to maintain it, so its not really hurting your wallet in the long term

btw that focus hatch looks BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAd. love those rims
Old 06-06-2011, 01:19 AM   #19
Ohuigin
Focus Addict

Fan#: 83056
What I Drive: 2012 Grey Metallic Titanium Hatch

FF Reputation: 3 Ohuigin Good Standing Member
My first (and possibly only mods):

-De-badge the "Focus" and trim level letters from the trunk...complete
-Tint windows
-Add k&n air filter.

I bought this car for fuel economy, so the only mechanical mods I will make (if any) are to improve that.

As for K&N products, here are a couple of posts made earlier in a different thread, although I think they are relative here as well:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohuigin View Post
FYI-

The K&N filter that fits all 2012 Foci is model # E-2993.

-B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohuigin View Post
It appears so! Here's the filter w/ list of vehicles that it will fit on. 2012 Focus is right on top:

http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod...px?Prod=E-2993

Also, here's the URL of the K&N oil filter for the 2012 (K&N model #: HP-1002):

http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod...x?Prod=HP-1002
-B

2012 S. G. Metallic Titanium Hatch - Born on 5/10/11
Options / Customizations:
-Handling Package
-Debadged
Old 06-06-2011, 10:34 AM   #20
Wontfinishlast
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 65496
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey Focus Hatch Ti

FF Reputation: 1 Wontfinishlast Good Standing Member
Since this is a first model year car and there's bound to be problems, I'd leave the cart stock and not void your warranty If you wanted a performance focus you should've waited for the ST...

Bookmarks & Social Networks