2012 Focus HID - Page 5 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace


Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2011, 02:42 PM   #41
Skippy905
Focus Enthusiast
 
Skippy905's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Fan#: 84128
Location: Niagara Falls, Canada
What I Drive: 2006 Honda Pilot

Posts: 283
FF Reputation: 2 Skippy905 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Not commenting, but you proved one of my points!

See ya! No longer going to even look at this thread as I can't take some of you seriously, especially ^
Skippy905 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-24-2011, 03:04 PM   #42
mysticbluebmw
Focus Enthusiast
 
mysticbluebmw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Fan#: 85252
Location: Triangle, NC
What I Drive: 2013 Accord EX-L V6 w/Navi

Posts: 519
FF Reputation: 1 mysticbluebmw Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012 Focus View Post
all I can do is laugh at all the ones talking shit about HID in a reflector headlight.. My buddy got flashed more times in one week in his 2011 Range Rover with FACTORY HID then I did in 5 years of HID in NON projector headlights. Which I aimed down and still covered more distance of the road then any halogen will come close to. Also like the ones who said they made cars with factory HID in a reflective light are right, 2004 body style Escalade.. what kind of lights r in those? hid 4300k in a reflective light..

Also I asked for HELP, not for lip of people about there opinion.. This forum is to help people, so if you cant help then mind your business and keep to yourself..

FYI only car/truck in my family that doesnt have HIDs is my 2010 Fusion with projectors and none of my trucks EVER get flashed.. even when I drove from FL to Nashville with a lifted F350 with 6000k hid never once got flashed or had a problem.. So learn ur facts on adjusting ur lights safely before you commenting on your neighbors pos tahoe

Last edited by warneej; 05-24-2011 at 09:43 PM.
mysticbluebmw is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 04:19 PM   #43
Tony407
Focus Addict
 
Tony407's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Fan#: 85289
Location: Portland, OR
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray Hatch Titanium

Posts: 647
FF Reputation: 4 Tony407 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
For those of you thinking that your comments are falling on deaf and stubborn ears, I would like to point out that you guys are the ones being prejudiced and calling names. And in my opinion, this is a discussion not an argument.

Bottom line is that you can say all you want about halogen housings with aftermarket HID bulbs, but I feel very confident mine aren't bothering anyone. Everyone seems to keep sidestepping the pains I have taken to make sure this is a reality. Basically, this is the bottom line for me whether the lights are legal or not. I haven't been a cop in 3 years, but as of 2008 aftermarket HID lights were not illegal in Washington State.

I'm sorry you can't have a discussion with someone that doesn't share your opinion without resorting to name-calling and then plugging your ears when presented with information that doesn't correlate with your beliefs.

Tony
Tony407 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 05:09 PM   #44
Tony407
Focus Addict
 
Tony407's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Fan#: 85289
Location: Portland, OR
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray Hatch Titanium

Posts: 647
FF Reputation: 4 Tony407 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippy905 View Post
Tony407

First, I have been one of those in the past who did put HID's in stock reflectors. I took them out after about one month. I now have HID's in projectors. There is a difference in having them work properly (to give maximum illumination) and not cast light in all directions.
Sorry you had a bad experience with yours. Don't let that experience carry over to others, because they (me) might have had them work out differently. In other words, don't project your experiences on us just because you had to go out and buy projectors.

Tony
Tony407 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 08:21 PM   #45
usapatriot
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Fan#: 73594
Location: Miami, FL
What I Drive: 09' Black SE Coupe

Posts: 542
FF Reputation: 0 usapatriot Newbie
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I've been blinded by too many Civic ricebuckets with aftermarket HID's in stock housings. Improperly done HIDS blind other drivers.
usapatriot is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 08:28 PM   #46
Tony407
Focus Addict
 
Tony407's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Fan#: 85289
Location: Portland, OR
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray Hatch Titanium

Posts: 647
FF Reputation: 4 Tony407 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by usapatriot View Post
I've been blinded by too many Civic ricebuckets with aftermarket HID's in stock housings. Improperly done HIDS blind other drivers.
Was does "improperly done" mean to you?

Tony
Tony407 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 09:07 PM   #47
LouBomb
It was all a DREAM!
 
LouBomb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Fan#: 32545
Location: Chicago, IL
What I Drive: A magical pony by the name of Sally

Posts: 8,091
Points 10,945, Level 69
Points: 10,945, Level: 69 Points: 10,945, Level: 69 Points: 10,945, Level: 69
Level Up 24% Completed
Level up: 24% Level up: 24% Level up: 24%
Forum Activity 9%
Activity: 9% Activity: 9% Activity: 9%
FF Reputation: 9 LouBomb Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
my .02 just cause i feel this will get locked soon lol

when it comes to HID kits the proper way of installing them is in a projector housing, I say this because I've had em installed in various cars.. Ford Excursion (with a baby lift), Mitsubishi Galant, Focus, Lincoln Aviator and a dodge nitro. In the S500 they came stock.

Now from MY OWN EXPERIENCE. the best were of course in the S500 (THEY CAME STOCK), and the worse in the dodge nitro.

When the car had stock housings most of the time there was way too much glare and it was blinding to oncoming traffic notice i said MOST of the time. On the galant (stock housing) no glare whatsoever. But each car is different.

I guess my point is, since im kinda hungry and food is on the table, that when you have projectors installed, you annoy less people. Yes you can tweak the hid kid and adjust it, and get ZERO complaints but if you want the hid kit for its functionality then I recommend doing right the first time.

Of course each car is different not every car needs it. BUT lets make an effort to stop being a nuisance to society and DO THINGS PROPERLY.

OR you can say screw me and do it your way. I dont care i see someone with glaring headlights, ill laugh at them and they may come in to our rice reports.

THAT IS ALL STAY CLASSY FOCUS ENTHUSIASTS >
__________________
2000 Turbo Zx3
2003 Pitch Black SVT
2000 SPI 220k miles all original THE UNICORN
Focus Revolution Club
Formely IMPORTKILLA35
LouBomb is online now  
    Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 09:34 PM   #48
e350 coupe
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Fan#: 84808
Location: White Rock, British Columbia, Canada
What I Drive: 2010 E-350 Coupe/2012 Titanium Htbk

Posts: 198
FF Reputation: 5 e350 coupe Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippy905 View Post
Tony407

First, I have been one of those in the past who did put HID's in stock reflectors. I took them out after about one month. I now have HID's in projectors. There is a difference in having them work properly (to give maximum illumination) and not cast light in all directions.

However, I am not going to continue this argument as it is obvious that those who want to put them in are just going to, and this argument is pointless.

Also, considering you claim to be ex-law enforcement, I am surprised that you are willing to put something illegal in your car. Most cops will never pull anyone over for that, but that doesn't make it legal.

Just like MysticblueBMW, I will no longer be commenting on this point as it falls on deaf (and stubborn) ears.
Wow...... and people always accused me of not playing well in the sand box. As one person has obviously waded in with 13 years in Patrol experience, I also will comment.

First of All I retired with just under 32 years in policing, starting in 3 District Traffic in Toronto then moving to BC and spending about 17 years in Patrol and Traffic and after 10 years undercover returning to what I know best, being traffic investigation.

I have had about 10-15 course in various accident investigation and I have given expert evidence and opinion evidence in the Supreme Court of Canada as to accident investigation. I am not only an expert witness but an active Accident analysis and instructor.

I very rarely if ever go against other Police Officer's opinions and refused to do so when called to in court. However after reading all the comments I couldn't resist to add my 2 cents worth, even though they might be golden pennies.

In short it is plain dangerous to put HID lights in a regular housing. There is no if's and's or but's, you are civilly responsible, and if in Canada criminally responsible if you do anything that you knew, or ought to have known, that directly or in-directly caused or contributed to an accident.

Regular Halogen lights are designed with their own internal reflector for a specific beam, in a specified housing. It is even possible to convert H-9's to work in H-11 housing but even doing this, is illegal.

There are specifications that are universal under the "DOT" which both Canada and the USA abide by, and trained investigators use these regulations usually during the aftermath of a serious accident.

If 2 vehicles end up in what used to be my "property scene", we as a group of accident analysts, and re-constructionists, dissect the entire car looking for all causes that contributed to the cause of the accident.

I am sure that you can guess what will happen if we find your illegal bulbs in the car if they are not approved, I'm not saying that you will be found at fault, but you will definitely be listed as a potential contributor of the accident.

Needless to say HID lights are for HID housings, my e-coupe has HID's and they automatically center and level each and every time the vehicle is started regardless whether or not they remain on afterwards.

As for police officers never ticketing people for them, I would dis-agree, in BC newly trained officers are being instructed on the law, and write the offence under the general "fail to comply with MVAct and MVRegs" $187 and you are on your way unless you have other items in which you leave on a tow truck and mandatory ordered inspection which is immediate or required within 30 days.

In BC we have our up and coming "wanna be gang members" who love all the Bling and Shine of chrome and wine. Needless to say they put 26" rims on vehicles dressed up with tinted windows, HID lights and various other things which clearly stand out to Police and say "stop me, I'm a somebody" needless to say this happens and they are often ticketed.

Now at night Police can't really see the windows, wheels, or exhaust system but those light really stick out and say "hey look at me I'm a somebody" and in BC they do get stopped and ticketed, sorry just a fact of life.

If the above logic doesn't convince you think about Ford restricting or cancelling the warranty on your new car, because although your HID's only draw 35-55 watts when running, they do consume upwards of 1800 watts for 3-15 milliseconds during initial startup, and unless the circuit is designed by Ford for this initial start up current, they are well within their right to cancel your warranty on anything electrical related.

One thing I learned in 32 years of Policing is that once people make up their minds is extremely hard if not impossible to change their minds, this even goes for Police Officers and thats why every so often we even see them in the news.

So in summary I have to really wonder if having the "bling" of HID's is really worth it, and as for those who would say it gives them better light, there are numerous alternatives as H11 SU/2 Silverstar Ultra's available.
e350 coupe is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 09:41 PM   #49
Tony407
Focus Addict
 
Tony407's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Fan#: 85289
Location: Portland, OR
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray Hatch Titanium

Posts: 647
FF Reputation: 4 Tony407 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMPORTKILLA35 View Post
my .02 just cause i feel this will get locked soon lol

when it comes to HID kits the proper way of installing them is in a projector housing, I say this because I've had em installed in various cars.. Ford Excursion (with a baby lift), Mitsubishi Galant, Focus, Lincoln Aviator and a dodge nitro. In the S500 they came stock.

Now from MY OWN EXPERIENCE. the best were of course in the S500 (THEY CAME STOCK), and the worse in the dodge nitro.

When the car had stock housings most of the time there was way too much glare and it was blinding to oncoming traffic notice i said MOST of the time. On the galant (stock housing) no glare whatsoever. But each car is different.

I guess my point is, since im kinda hungry and food is on the table, that when you have projectors installed, you annoy less people. Yes you can tweak the hid kid and adjust it, and get ZERO complaints but if you want the hid kit for its functionality then I recommend doing right the first time.

Of course each car is different not every car needs it. BUT lets make an effort to stop being a nuisance to society and DO THINGS PROPERLY.

OR you can say screw me and do it your way. I dont care i see someone with glaring headlights, ill laugh at them and they may come in to our rice reports.

THAT IS ALL STAY CLASSY FOCUS ENTHUSIASTS >
Well, I hope it doesn't get locked. I see no reason for it to be, for the most part we've remained fairly civil.

By blinding other traffic, how do you tell this is happening? How is it measured? Is it the number of high-beam flashes you get?

At least in my experience, I get nearly zero. Occasionally when I'm on a slight incline and come up to a stop sign or stop light my lights shine directly into the eyes of the other car's occupants. Even with halogens this would be annoying, but with HIDs (even aftermarket) it's downright painful to the eyeballs. At least in my experience when this happens I get flashed and the dirty looks ensue. Totally understandable. But in general driving conditions, I've been flashed so infrequently that when I compare it to other cars I've owned with stock halogens or stock HIDs, I assuming that my aftermarket HIDs are less offensive than other cars I've owned that haven't been modified.

Thanks for sharing. I think you tastefully stated your opinion and I really appreciate it.

Tony
Tony407 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 09:56 PM   #50
warneej
BodyKits=PantiesDrop
 
warneej's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Fan#: 20372
Location: Bradenton, FL
What I Drive: 04 ZX3 D23E-10SES Sedan-12 Ti Hatch

Posts: 13,167
Points 31,962, Level 100
Points: 31,962, Level: 100 Points: 31,962, Level: 100 Points: 31,962, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 201 warneej Excellent Standing Member warneej Excellent Standing Member warneej Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)
Dammit guys, its like baby sitting sometimes. Anyways I cleaned up the thread so play nice please. This is meant to be a discourse for mature conversations and debates, not mindless name calling. Doesn't have to be all serious though, that would be lame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by usapatriot View Post
Improperly done HIDS blind other drivers.
Sounds like some sort of STD...


But my $0.02, first I have retrofitted HID lights in my ST170 headlamps on my 04 and have to say the cutoff is pretty sharp. I of course aimed them down and get excellent vision and have never had an issue as a driver of the car, or when being followed/passed by my car. Stock ZX3 headlamps seem to be a little glarey (is that a word?) to me in contrast, however there is a much different reflector design between the two.

Second, my 2012 has a damn sharp cutoff in its halogen housings. I'd like to see how that translates to HID cutoff just for kicks but I have no intention of diving into the wiring on this car. Much too nice for silly modification .

Please don't make me close this thread, for once this discussion has taken a (mostly) civil and informative route. kthxbai
__________________
Disciple of the "Push harder, suck less" school of autocross.

173.4whp
gump
crew #6
warneej is online now  
    Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:51 PM.


Copyright 2002-2014 FocusFanatics.com. All Rights Reserved : Terms of Use : Privacy Policy : Advertise Information

Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forum offers many fun ways for you to engage with other Ford Focus Owners from across the world. Whether it be about the aftermarket performance modifications, technical how-to's, European tuned suspension or awesome fuel economy similar to the Acura TLX or Fiesta ST. You can find all Ford Focus and Focus ST related information here. Join our Ford Focus discussion forums and chat with local Focus enthusiasts in your area.