Question about Titanium Handling Package - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-22-2011, 03:10 PM   #1
RugbyGod
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 86003
What I Drive: 2004 Silver Honda Accord EX

FF Reputation: 1 RugbyGod Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Smile Question about Titanium Handling Package

Hello Forum,

I am new to this forum, but I wanted to ask some of your opinion about Titanium Handling Package. For 2012 Focus Titanium Hatchback, does it make sense to have Titanium Handling Package? Does 18 inch wheels give better handling? I live in Northeast and road conditions here are not that pretty (pot holes everywhere). Does 18inch wheels makes sense? Is it worth adding in as an option?

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2011, 03:52 PM   #2
firstfordever
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 85944
What I Drive: 2012 Titanium Hatchback White plati

FF Reputation: 1 firstfordever Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by RugbyGod View Post
Hello Forum,

I am new to this forum, but I wanted to ask some of your opinion about Titanium Handling Package. For 2012 Focus Titanium Hatchback, does it make sense to have Titanium Handling Package? Does 18 inch wheels give better handling? I live in Northeast and road conditions here are not that pretty (pot holes everywhere). Does 18inch wheels makes sense? Is it worth adding in as an option?

Thanks in advance!

I got them on my Titanium, of course I did not drive a Focus without them and the Titanium handling package so I can't compare directly. I will say the 18 inchers look nice on the car, it does handle well in the corners although it does not have the acceleration to really power out of the corner. The downside is they are not going to be winter tires so you will have to plan on getting a different set for winter especially in the NE winter...The reviewers say that the 18 inch tires do give more road noise as well although with nothing to compare to, I don't find the road noise bad at all.
Old 05-22-2011, 04:02 PM   #3
Gobird
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 83191
What I Drive: 2012 Blue Candy Titanium Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 Gobird Good Standing Member
I also got that option but if I was still up in Pa. I probably wouldn't have ordered it. Down here in Fla. I won't have any problems with it.
Old 05-22-2011, 04:36 PM   #4
cappa
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85229
What I Drive: 2000 VW Golf / 2012 Ford Focus Ti

FF Reputation: 1 cappa Good Standing Member
yes the handling package isn't just the 18 inch wheels, it's the sports suspension. I live in the Northeast. Just get winter tires, for winter, problem solved. As for potholes, you just need to learn how to avoid them. :)
Old 05-23-2011, 03:47 AM   #5
Tony407
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85289
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray Hatch Titanium

FF Reputation: 4 Tony407 Good Standing Member
Look at what you get for a mere $600:

Sport tuned suspension.

18-inch wheels.

Michelin Pilot Sport PS3 tires.

The value is INCREDIBLE. On Tirerack, the tires alone are about $300 each.

One thing I noticed is that the recommended tire pressure for the PS3s is 39 psi. 39 PSI!!! I could feel every bump in the road. I've got them at 32 psi now and I'm much happier.

Tony
Old 05-23-2011, 06:11 AM   #6
Josh321
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85263
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium 5-door

FF Reputation: 1 Josh321 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony407 View Post
One thing I noticed is that the recommended tire pressure for the PS3s is 39 psi. 39 PSI!!! I could feel every bump in the road. I've got them at 32 psi now and I'm much happier.

Tony
Is 39 what's recommended on the sticker in the driver's door jamb or what the tire itself says? Low tire pressure (which is the condition you're creating) will cause the tires to wear out quicker and decrease fuel economy because of the increased rolling resistance. Doesn't your TPMS light come on, too, since the pressure is lower than what it's expecting?

I opted out of that package for the ride and all-weather traction compromises. Our roads are crap here, and it's impossible to avoid every pothole. We also get enough winter weather where the summer tires would be inadequate year round, but not enough where it makes sense to get snow tires. With the (unspecified) performance upgrades on the base Titanium and the decent but modest power of the engine, I think the 50-series 17's will be be plenty.

Last edited by Josh321; 05-23-2011 at 06:18 AM. Reason: Additional comment
Old 05-23-2011, 11:25 AM   #7
LMM1967
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 85973
What I Drive: '11 F150 Eco, '12 Focus Tit Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 LMM1967 Good Standing Member
The handling package also includes an upgrade to a full size spare - another great bonus to this package for the price they charge.
Old 05-23-2011, 11:48 AM   #8
Titanium69
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 85357
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 Titanium69 Good Standing Member
Like Tony stated I was looking at SEL, than for that much more you could get all them extra goodies, couldn't pass that up and loving it.
Old 05-23-2011, 12:24 PM   #9
cpogordon
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85208
What I Drive: 2009 VW Tiguan

FF Reputation: 1 cpogordon Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by cappa View Post
yes the handling package isn't just the 18 inch wheels, it's the sports suspension. I live in the Northeast. Just get winter tires, for winter, problem solved. As for potholes, you just need to learn how to avoid them. :)
Actually the Titanium comes with the sport suspension. The 18" Wheel package adds to/upgrades the sport suspension that is standard on the Titanium.
Old 05-23-2011, 02:25 PM   #10
Tony407
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85289
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray Hatch Titanium

FF Reputation: 4 Tony407 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh321 View Post
Is 39 what's recommended on the sticker in the driver's door jamb or what the tire itself says? Low tire pressure (which is the condition you're creating) will cause the tires to wear out quicker and decrease fuel economy because of the increased rolling resistance. Doesn't your TPMS light come on, too, since the pressure is lower than what it's expecting?

I opted out of that package for the ride and all-weather traction compromises. Our roads are crap here, and it's impossible to avoid every pothole. We also get enough winter weather where the summer tires would be inadequate year round, but not enough where it makes sense to get snow tires. With the (unspecified) performance upgrades on the base Titanium and the decent but modest power of the engine, I think the 50-series 17's will be be plenty.
I agree that 17-inch tires/wheels would probably feel better as far as comfort.

Typically tires aren't made with a recommended pressure written on the sides, only the max pressure. According to the door jamb and the manual, the PS3s are supposed to be at 39 psi.

I realize this will decrease my fuel economy and might cause uneven wear. I'll just have to wait and see and watch the tread wear, and take a hit in mpgs, because 39 feels much too firm for me. If I go on a long trip I might temporarily put them at that pressure, but for bumpy roads around town I'll stick with 32 unless the tread starts to show too much wear on the outside edges.

Tony

Bookmarks & Social Networks