Remote start and push button start - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Interior Mods & Upgrades

MK3 Interior Mods & Upgrades The place to chat about performance gauges, shifter knobs, custom interior paint, car seats or any interior upgrades for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-21-2011, 12:50 PM   #1
jeff2009
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 85828
What I Drive: 2009 Eclipse

FF Reputation: 1 jeff2009 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Remote start and push button start

Can someone who has a titanium focus and had remote start installed share your experience with it. I've read conflicting reports that state remote start does not work with push button start, that you have to sacrifice a key fob in order for the remote start to work, and that if remote start is installed anyone can just walk up to the car and unlock it/start it. TIA!!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2011, 03:28 PM   #2
lrbr30022
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85804
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium Hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 lrbr30022 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff2009 View Post
Can someone who has a titanium focus and had remote start installed share your experience with it. I've read conflicting reports that state remote start does not work with push button start, that you have to sacrifice a key fob in order for the remote start to work, and that if remote start is installed anyone can just walk up to the car and unlock it/start it. TIA!!!!
I sure hope this is not the case. I ordered a titanium because I wanted to the push start. And i ordered Remote start to be installed. One would think that if Ford sells them together then they should work together. But you can bet I will ask the Dealer before he installs the remote start.
Old 05-21-2011, 03:37 PM   #3
mysticbluebmw
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85252
What I Drive: 2013 Accord EX-L V6 w/Navi

FF Reputation: 1 mysticbluebmw Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff2009 View Post
TIA = ???

Anyway, no that's not the case. Some people are upset, because they wanted to be able to remote start the car, and then get in and go. That's not how it works, though, and for good reason.

I believe after you remote start the car, it will turn off, either when you open the door, or when you push the start button, not sure which. You still have both keyfobs, though, and no one can steal your car.
Old 05-21-2011, 11:19 PM   #4
jeff2009
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticbluebmw View Post
TIA = ???

Anyway, no that's not the case. Some people are upset, because they wanted to be able to remote start the car, and then get in and go. That's not how it works, though, and for good reason.

I believe after you remote start the car, it will turn off, either when you open the door, or when you push the start button, not sure which. You still have both keyfobs, though, and no one can steal your car.
TIA= Thanks in Advance.

I believe you are most likely right, but I wasn't sure what to expect as I have never had a car that had push button start or remote start.

I don't really mind the that the car will turn off as long as it turns on and warms up...that's the only reason I wanted it.
Old 05-23-2011, 03:54 AM   #5
Tony407
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85289
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray Hatch Titanium

FF Reputation: 4 Tony407 Good Standing Member
My remote start doesn't work at all. Every time I try it the alarm (honking horn) goes off.

Another forum member says that no matter what he does when you try and "start" the car once you've started it with the remote start, the engine stops when you put your foot on the brake. Evidently when he pushes the button it kills the engine too. Then you have to re-start it in order to drive way.

My Cadillac had remote start and push-button. All you had to do was push the button and you were good.

My F150 also has remote start. If you step on the brake the engine dies. However, if you put your key in the ignition and turn it you're good to go.

I have an appointment on Tuesday to have the remote start looked at. Assuming they fix it, I'm still not happy with having to start it (remotely), then shut it off, then start it again before driving away. That's pretty messed up. Especially when you consider how long the MFT takes to get going, and the extra battery power it takes to crank the car over, etc.

Tony
Old 05-24-2011, 06:13 PM   #6
Tony407
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85289
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray Hatch Titanium

FF Reputation: 4 Tony407 Good Standing Member
My car is currently at the dealership. They called me today saying they were scratching their collective heads as to why it's not working. Ford gave them instructions to re-program the unit but apparently it wasn't accepting them. The service tech told me he heard that certain 2012 models were not compatible with the remote start, but he wasn't sure what to think at this point. For now, he's going with the assumption that it was installed improperly, so he's going to "tear into it" and start from scratch.

I'll keep you posted.

Tony
Old 05-24-2011, 07:16 PM   #7
jeff2009
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony407 View Post
My car is currently at the dealership. They called me today saying they were scratching their collective heads as to why it's not working. Ford gave them instructions to re-program the unit but apparently it wasn't accepting them. The service tech told me he heard that certain 2012 models were not compatible with the remote start, but he wasn't sure what to think at this point. For now, he's going with the assumption that it was installed improperly, so he's going to "tear into it" and start from scratch.

I'll keep you posted.

Tony
Please keep us posted. I would like to know how it turns out and your impressions of it. :)
Old 05-25-2011, 09:15 AM   #8
mtruland
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 84353
What I Drive: 2010 Harley Davidson XL1200C

FF Reputation: 1 mtruland Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony407 View Post

I'll keep you posted.

Tony
My dealer told me they hate installing them, and recommend aftermarket, just because of the installation splicing, cutting and pulling required. You would think that by now, they'd have plug and play units that just plug into a port on the car -- making installation a snap for everyone.
Old 06-28-2011, 09:53 AM   #9
wjfawb0
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 87037
What I Drive: 2010 Ford F150 XLT SCAB 4x4 5.4L

FF Reputation: 1 wjfawb0 Good Standing Member
My wife just bought a 2012 titanium with remote start, and the dealership claimed they were waiting for a "code" from ford to get it to work. They are having her bring the car back this week if they get "the code" to get it working. It sounds like they were having issues with it as well. Hrmmmm.....
Old 06-28-2011, 08:11 PM   #10
Cardsfan17
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 87265
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 Cardsfan17 Good Standing Member
On my Titanium remote start will only work if the IA key is inside the car, which is totally dumb in my book. If my IA key isn't in the car I just get the panic honking. Ford needs to fix this issue, I wish now that I hadn't even ordered that option.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->