2012 Focus Overheating - Page 2 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-20-2011, 03:30 PM   #11
GlockGuy619
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 84732
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 GlockGuy619 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_2000_se View Post
lol...

I'll bet it's from improper maintenance of the 'Grill Mechanism' per Deysha of FO-rd CU-stomer S-ervice.

Glock - driving down any remote dirt roads lately and not cleaning your grill ?

lol.
Nope... no dirt roads at all.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2011, 05:24 PM   #12
BDUB_01
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 85052
What I Drive: 2012, Kona Blue, SE

FF Reputation: 1 BDUB_01 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockGuy619 View Post
Hey all... oddest thing happened just a few minutes ago while I was on my way to work. I drove about 40 miles on the freeway and had just exited and was waiting at a stop light. All of a sudden I get a message in my instrument panel saying that my car is overheating, and that I need to stop the vehicle when safe. I drove for about another 1/4 mile and pulled over as soon as I could. I popped my hood, and nothing was out of the ordinary, waited like 5 minutes, started the car back up and then the temp was normal again.

What the hell? What could this be? I will definitely be calling the dealership tomorrow!!

2012 Ford Focus, 2100 miles

I just had the same problem! On my way to work and the engine temp seems fine then all of the sudden messages are popping up and telling me to pull over. I checked under the hood and nothing seemed to be out of the ordinary. It happened every time I drove it so I had it towed to the dealership. They ordered a thermostat, but they seem to think that a sensor was sending corrupt data. I'm not so sure that they know what is wrong with it either. I guess they will throw parts at it till something works!
Old 05-20-2011, 05:30 PM   #13
iminhell
C2H5OH

Fan#: 36222
What I Drive: 2000 & 2001 ZX3's

Points 18,399, Level 86
Points: 18,399, Level: 86 Points: 18,399, Level: 86 Points: 18,399, Level: 86
Level Up 10% Completed
Level up: 10% Level up: 10% Level up: 10%
Forum Activity 4%
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%
FF Reputation: 48 iminhell Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
If it didn't have the grill flaps then corrupt data is probably right.

There is always data being sent to the ECU and some will be corrupt. Sometimes with a coolant sensor this can be from a tiny air pocket or the sensor taking too long to respond ... these variances are thrown out by the ECU and a previously known good value is used. Basically the ECU sees temp in real time but uses the average most of the time.
There is an amount of data that can be thrown out before the ECU throws a code. I'm not sure what that limit is but odds are if the limit is too low there will be a calibration update available once enough customers have the problem and a new coolant temp sensor does not fix the issue.
Old 05-21-2011, 11:38 PM   #14
GlockGuy619
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Well... the Dealer had it all day and had no idea what is wrong with it. Dealer said they will probably keep it through Monday to do some more trouble shooting. Do I smell a recall already?!?!

At least the gave me a nice Fusion SEL to drive in the mean time.
Old 05-22-2011, 12:42 AM   #15
GlockGuy619
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDUB_01 View Post

I just had the same problem! On my way to work and the engine temp seems fine then all of the sudden messages are popping up and telling me to pull over. I checked under the hood and nothing seemed to be out of the ordinary. It happened every time I drove it so I had it towed to the dealership. They ordered a thermostat, but they seem to think that a sensor was sending corrupt data. I'm not so sure that they know what is wrong with it either. I guess they will throw parts at it till something works!
Any word on what it was?
Old 05-23-2011, 11:34 AM   #16
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

Points 3,276, Level 35
Points: 3,276, Level: 35 Points: 3,276, Level: 35 Points: 3,276, Level: 35
Level Up 51% Completed
Level up: 51% Level up: 51% Level up: 51%
Forum Activity 15%
Activity: 15% Activity: 15% Activity: 15%
FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Hey all... oddest thing happened just a few minutes ago while I was on my way to work. I drove about 40 miles on the freeway and had just exited and was waiting at a stop light. All of a sudden I get a message in my instrument panel saying that my car is overheating, and that I need to stop the vehicle when safe. I drove for about another 1/4 mile and pulled over as soon as I could. I popped my hood, and nothing was out of the ordinary, waited like 5 minutes, started the car back up and then the temp was normal again.

What the hell? What could this be? I will definitely be calling the dealership tomorrow!!

Hi GlockGuy619,

I'm sorry your Focus is signaling that it is overheating. That must have been very frustrating. I hope your dealer is able to resolve your problem today. If you would like to send me a private message with your contact information, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealer, I can ensure your situation is appropriately documented.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDUB_01 View Post

Hi BDUB_01,
I'm sure it must have been very inconvenient to have your Focus towed to the dealer, and I apologize for that. It seems they are being thorough with replacing the thermostat. I am confident they will be able to diagnose it correctly. If you would like to have your concern documented as well, please PM me with your contact information, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealer and I will help.

~Natasha

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordServiceUS facebook.com/FordFocus

M - F 11 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET | Send a PM? Pls allow 2 business days for reply
Old 05-23-2011, 11:06 PM   #17
GlockGuy619
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Well... got a call from the dealership working on my car. They couldn't recreate the problem, and since the car isn't throwing any codes they are assuming it is the thermostat. They want to replace it, but its on back order and its looking like I will not get my car back until June 4th. Sooo annoyed right now... for the first time I am having buyers remorse.
Old 05-24-2011, 02:05 AM   #18
a_2000_se
Focus Addict

Fan#: 62964
What I Drive: 2000 SE SOHC SPI, Compression @ 164

Points 4,699, Level 43
Points: 4,699, Level: 43 Points: 4,699, Level: 43 Points: 4,699, Level: 43
Level Up 75% Completed
Level up: 75% Level up: 75% Level up: 75%
Forum Activity 5%
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%
FF Reputation: 15 a_2000_se Great Standing Member
Quote:
.....2012 thermostat. They want to replace it, but its on back order and its looking like I will not get my car back until June 4th......
That's not an encouraging sign.

Back order because.....?

- because of a manufacturing problem?
- or because of a high number of thermostats being replaced?
---- why?
Replaced #4 Piston, Rings, Rod+Bearings, AERA Re-Manufactured Cylinder Head and a light Hone. Then CLEANED the hell out of everything.
60k+ miles.
Old 05-27-2011, 09:27 AM   #19
sergeon
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 86141
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue SE

FF Reputation: 1 sergeon Good Standing Member
The overheating issue just occurred in my 2012 Focus SE last evening. I am getting it looked at the dealership today, but I have to say that having a problem in a one week old car is pretty bad, especially one requires waiting for parts...
Old 05-27-2011, 10:39 AM   #20
antihero31
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 84110
What I Drive: 2012 Blue Candy Ford Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 antihero31 Good Standing Member
I just took mine in. It has ~2500 miles on it. They said the thermostat is sticking. The part is backordered so the soonest i could get it is Monday. On top of that both of their rental cars are out so I'm stuck driving a crappy 2010 Focus. Now I'm waiting for my car to get fixed AND a rental car to come in.. I'm not driving a piece of crap when I paid $23000 for a nice car! >:(

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.