2012 owners Post your MPG's - Page 9 - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Model Specific Discussions > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-15-2011, 09:21 PM   #81
2012silversel
Focus Addict

Fan#: 83969
What I Drive: 2014 C-Max Energi, Sterling Gray

FF Reputation: 1 2012silversel Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I took a Sunday drive today and the best MPG's I got was 37.3. That was with the cruise set at 60 on a two lane hilly, windy road. On the freeway I was getting 34 to 36 depending on my speed. I was varying my speed and once took it up to 100, the car felt good going that fast, but not something I will do too often. Pretty good considering I only have 250 miles on it. I have trip 2 set for city MPG's and it's currently reading 24.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/1830576...0553/lightbox/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2011, 09:45 PM   #82
iminhell
C2H5OH

Fan#: 36222
What I Drive: 2000 & 2001 ZX3's

FF Reputation: 45 iminhell Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
I'm curious, but not curious enough to waddle through 7 pages of somewhat bickering ... maybe a poll should be added so others don't have to read.
I know I've seen a few threads on the sloppy trans and low mileage, maybe because they didn't see this thread or read any of it, just like I didn't.
Old 05-16-2011, 12:34 AM   #83
Wontfinishlast
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 65496
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey Focus Hatch Ti

FF Reputation: 1 Wontfinishlast Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
^Agreed
Old 05-16-2011, 12:56 PM   #84
Pumbadog
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 85818
What I Drive: 2012, Candy Red, SEL

FF Reputation: 1 Pumbadog Good Standing Member
I purchased a Focus SEL on Friday and so far I'm disappointed with the MPG. I drive 38 miles one way to work with 33 miles of it on interstate highways (65 - 75) and the best I'm getting according to the Average MPG reading is 28 MPG. I hope it gets a lot better soon. My Grand Prix trade in was about the same MPG on the highway, the Focus is just better in the city.
Old 05-16-2011, 02:53 PM   #85
cdavidhess
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 72867
What I Drive: 2011 Elantra GLS - 6 speed auto

FF Reputation: 1 cdavidhess Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indydi View Post
Well, it appears that bias is making its way into these figures. Wonder how much Ford paid them to get those results. I'd rather go with Consumer Reports, one of the few unbiased sources out there. The Elantra got 3mpg better than both versions of the Cruze they tested. New Focus hasn't been tested yet, so the verdict is still out on that one.

Even C&D, which I do consider a biased source, had the Elantra doing better than the Cruze. The Focus got only 1 mpg better than the Elantra, which is hardly worth bragging about. The Cruze (tied with the Mazda3 s Sport) got the worst mpg of all five cars in their May comparo.

I'd consider the Focus and Elantra equals as far as mpg, and technically for me, the Focus would be worse as I'd get the stick shift. People don't realize how little difference a few mpg makes (especially those who fork out $1000 more for an SFE package to get 1 mpg more). But I seriously doubt the numbers you quoted. No one else is seeing the Cruze beat the Elantra, so that calls into question all the other figures.

My 3-day Elantra rental gave me 44mpg on a trip that combined mostly highway with some city, and 30 in the city. I got 39mpg in gusty rain going 70-80 mph. I couldn't believe a small car could handle those conditions so well and also get that kind of mpg.

I'm hoping to find a Focus to rent sometime before we're ready to buy, but as of right now, I'm going with the Elantra.
The Cruze in the Popular Mechanics test was an ECO version with a 6 speed manual. The Cruze in the other published tests were automatics.

Here are the details in the Popular Mechanics test:

"... the essential element of PM's test was a meandering trip through California's midsection, from Santa Barbara to San Francisco Along the way, we plied city streets, highways and two-laners to get a real-world assessment of how much fuel these cars drink."

Here are the cars and the results:

1. VW Jetta TDI, 6 speed manual - EPA city/hwy ratings - 30/42, Test results 40.4 mpg
2. 2012 Ford Focus SFE - 6 speed auto-manual - EPA city/hwy - 28/40, Test results 38.6
3. Chevrolet Cruze Eco - 1.4 Liter Turbo, 6 speed manual - EPA city/hwy ratings 28/42, Test results 36.7
4. Fiat 500 - 5 speed manual - EPA city/hwy ratings - 30/38, Test results 34.6 mpg
5. Hyundai Elantra - 6 speed auto - EPA city/hwy - 29/40, Test results 32.3
Old 05-17-2011, 03:56 PM   #86
JulesMaximus
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 85851
What I Drive: 2003 Nissan Maxima SE - Sheer Silve

FF Reputation: 1 JulesMaximus Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Targon View Post
The problem is that the name Ford Focus in the USA does not have a reputation as a GREAT car. As a result, many people here don't think of the Focus as a car that SHOULD cost even $22,000.

Now, if you don't load a car up with every available option, the $23,000 price tag on the Titanium gives you quite a few features for the price, and many can accept that. They just start to complain when there is an overlap in the price of a compact car and the price of a larger vehicle.

That's the real key, you can get a Fiesta for $19,000 that has a ton of features, or you can get a Focus SE for less that doesn't have as many features but has a more powerful engine and is larger. You have to decide for yourself what you want.

The real cutoff for most people on the 2012 Focus hits at around $25,000 because you can find larger cars at that price range that also have a more powerful engine. The ST will have a 248 horsepower engine, so if THAT comes in at $27,000 or $28,000, people will bit a bit more accepting due to the engine upgrade, but they don't think that with park assist, navigation, moon roof(which many people want and don't use or care about once they have it), etc that the price should go up all that much.

People also clearly don't think, because you would not believe the number of Focus SEs that are out there with a price upwards of $22,000 with automatic, and even without the sport package. Dealers ordered the SE with a ton of extra features when a SEL would make more sense. How about a Focus SEL that has the MyFord Touch package added? On the sticker, the 301A package adds $995 to the price. With Red Candy color(for a direct comparison), a 5-door SEL with 301A comes to $23,180. The Titanium is $23,885. So, SEL with JUST the MyFord Touch & Sony package is only $705 less, but you don't get all the features of the Titanium, and for $705, the Titanium makes a lot more sense.

I can see a SE with MANUAL transmission with a bunch of options, since you can't get a SEL with manual transmission over here, or a SEL with Premium package but without the MyFord Touch for those who are being selective about what they get for their money, but for those who go for a FULLY loaded car, why shouldn't it cost more for ALL of those extra features? Navigation, Winter Package, Park Assist, Premium Package, Moon Roof, plus the little things like cargo nets and extra protection features, why wouldn't all of those add up to $5000?
Newb here with some thoughts on this. I own a 2003 Nissan Maxima SE I bought new in 2003. It is paid for but it has 100,000 miles on it and it needs some work (tires and rear brakes-possibly a fuel pump). Add to that the fact that I took a job 6 months ago that is 30 miles from home (60 miles round trip) and the fuel savings of the Focus starts to become very appealing.

Gas here in California is almost $4.50/gallon for premium (which the Maxima requires) so I figure I can save at least $150 a month just in gas savings. Add in the repair costs and that's another $120 a month.

I test drove a 2012 Titanium hatchback on Saturday, it had the NAV, performance pack, leather, moonroof, I think the only thing it didn't have was the parking assist (which I don't really care about). I have to say, I was thoroughly impressed with everything about the car. The way it drove, the outward visibility, the comfort, the styling, the fuel economy. I would only consider the Titanium model with NAV and all the bells and whistles my current car has (and a few more it doesn't).

By the way, I've owned 2 Fords in my lifetime. Both were Mustang GTs but I have a wife and a kid now so the Mustang isn't really an option. 4 doors, good fuel economy, lots of gadgets, some luxury and comfort, reasonably sporty is EXACTLY what I'm after. I spend 2 hours a day in my car so entertainment is important to me. The bluetooth is also something I would like to have. NAV isn't really necessary but it's not that much more expensive and would definitely come in handy every now and then.

I also like the hatchback option because I'm a cyclist and throwing my bike in the back would be nice vs taking the wheels off, putting the back seats down and jamming in the trunk of my current car, or worse, a mileage killing roof rack. Besides, the hatchback looks much better than the sedan.

This car seems to have everything I want at a reasonable price.

By the way, my wife drives a 2006 Lexus IS250 and I actually think the Focus is more comfortable and well thought out.

Never in a million years would have considered the outgoing Focus. Kudos to Ford for building a car I'm actually considering buying.
Old 05-18-2011, 02:13 PM   #87
wreed
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 85302
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 1 wreed Good Standing Member
SEL first week getting 31.3 mpg from onboard computer. Mixture of city and highway.
Old 05-18-2011, 09:33 PM   #88
Targon
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 81074
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SEL 5-door

FF Reputation: 2 Targon Good Standing Member
I am up to between 32 and 34mpg combined city/highway as my daily numbers, so I'm a happy owner.
Old 05-18-2011, 10:04 PM   #89
fran1122
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 85891
What I Drive: 2012 metallic red focus hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 fran1122 Good Standing Member
Mpg

i have a 2012 Focus hatchback se with a K&N air filter and im getting and avg of 31-35 mpg tho i only drive 30 miles a day to work and only got 1000miles on it
Old 05-18-2011, 10:39 PM   #90
Ohuigin
Focus Addict

Fan#: 83056
What I Drive: 2012 Grey Metallic Titanium Hatch

FF Reputation: 3 Ohuigin Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by fran1122 View Post
i have a 2012 Focus hatchback se with a K&N air filter and im getting and avg of 31-35 mpg tho i only drive 30 miles a day to work and only got 1000miles on it
That sounds fantastic. Would you mind providing us with the size and/or specific model # of the filter that fit?

Thanks!

EDIT: Never mind! Found it! It's K&N model # E-2993.

-B

2012 S. G. Metallic Titanium Hatch - Born on 5/10/11
Options / Customizations:
-Handling Package
-Debadged

Last edited by Ohuigin; 05-19-2011 at 12:49 AM.

Bookmarks & Social Networks