Would you buy a FORD FOCUS DIESEL? - Page 4 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

View Poll Results: Would you buy a FORD FOCUS DIESEL with 50 MPG at $25,000
YES 92 68.15%
NO 20 14.81%
Maybe 23 17.04%
Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-11-2011, 12:18 PM   #31
DJ2BIG
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 49192
What I Drive: 2012 Winter Frost SE

FF Reputation: -6 DJ2BIG Poor Behavior Needs Improvement
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Any car is bond to break down and it will cost money to repair, I do think diesel will cost more to repair only because there are not that many out there however if they use the same engines all over the world repairs should not be high
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2011, 03:22 PM   #32
sonicdeathmonkey
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 85633
What I Drive: 2002 Grey Taurus

FF Reputation: 1 sonicdeathmonkey Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ2BIG View Post
Any car is bond to break down and it will cost money to repair, I do think diesel will cost more to repair only because there are not that many out there however if they use the same engines all over the world repairs should not be high
It's not unheard of or unreasonable to expect a diesel engine to go 250,000 miles without needed any kind of major work done to them. Often times, the rest of the drivetrain and/or car itself falls apart long before a well built diesel engine.
Old 05-11-2011, 04:51 PM   #33
Kipp
FocusFest Event Team

Fan#: 31300
What I Drive: 2013 F150 4x4 5.0, 2014 HD 883 Iron

FF Reputation: 9 Kipp Good Standing Member
i would buy a diesel in a heartbeat! even if it's 50mpg still freakin awesome. I would do a deisel anyday over gas for numerous reasons. biofuel, effects on ecosystem, gas mileage, torque...
Midwest Crew #22
Official FocusFest Event Planner
Old 05-11-2011, 04:55 PM   #34
BlckZTS
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 78693
What I Drive: 2001 Black zts-1997 Ford Expedition

FF Reputation: 2 BlckZTS Good Standing Member
EFF yes! diesel is the bomb, and 50mpg is verrrry nice
Sedan Revolution #171
Old 05-11-2011, 05:03 PM   #35
DJ2BIG
Focus Enthusiast

I want a ford focus diesel!!!
Old 05-13-2011, 01:47 PM   #36
DJ2BIG
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z_interactive View Post
If I need MPG's I would buy Fiesta which gets 65 MPG (US).

Fiesta Econetic
I wish the USA had this car
Old 05-13-2011, 11:44 PM   #37
Montag
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 81977
What I Drive: 1997 Olds Cutlass Supreme

FF Reputation: 3 Montag Good Standing Member
Diesels are more expensive to build and maintain for a few reasons: Obviously they're not real common here in the USA. They are more heavily built to withstand the high compression and turbocharging, and because they're often used in industrial/commercial applications. Turbos and charge air coolers are expensive. Diesel fuel systems are more complex and precise than gasoline fuel systems, and the injectors have to work with the tips in the combustion chambers. Fuel filters become more expensive and more important as the systems become more complex.

Gasoline engines are catching up in terms of fuel system complexity. These direct injection systems are essentially the same as a diesel common rail system, though the fuel pressures are lower and the combustion chamber temperatures and pressures are lower. I'm sure Ecoboosts are fine engines, but I have some reservations about repair costs. That high pressure fuel pump and those injectors could be expensive, and no doubt those turbos are expensive. I also have doubts about a turbo's longevity in a typical automotive duty cycle. Most of the wear on a turbo occurs when you shut the engine off, and the turbo spins down with no oil pressure provided to the bearings. If a car makes a lot of short trips, and the driver shuts the car down without idling for a bit first, the turbo bearings will wear a lot faster.

I don't think diesel cars make sense in the USA from an financial standpoint. They cost too much, the fuel costs too much, and the maintenance costs too much. Automotive diesels might last longer than gasoline engines, I'm not sure, but either one will last long enough nowadays for the car to fall apart around it. My brother's 1994 Corsica was a good example. It ran great, but the car was falling apart. How many people will keep the car that long anyway?
Old 05-14-2011, 09:12 PM   #38
DJ2BIG
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montag View Post
Diesels are more expensive to build and maintain for a few reasons: Obviously they're not real common here in the USA. They are more heavily built to withstand the high compression and turbocharging, and because they're often used in industrial/commercial applications. Turbos and charge air coolers are expensive. Diesel fuel systems are more complex and precise than gasoline fuel systems, and the injectors have to work with the tips in the combustion chambers. Fuel filters become more expensive and more important as the systems become more complex.

Gasoline engines are catching up in terms of fuel system complexity. These direct injection systems are essentially the same as a diesel common rail system, though the fuel pressures are lower and the combustion chamber temperatures and pressures are lower. I'm sure Ecoboosts are fine engines, but I have some reservations about repair costs. That high pressure fuel pump and those injectors could be expensive, and no doubt those turbos are expensive. I also have doubts about a turbo's longevity in a typical automotive duty cycle. Most of the wear on a turbo occurs when you shut the engine off, and the turbo spins down with no oil pressure provided to the bearings. If a car makes a lot of short trips, and the driver shuts the car down without idling for a bit first, the turbo bearings will wear a lot faster.

I don't think diesel cars make sense in the USA from an financial standpoint. They cost too much, the fuel costs too much, and the maintenance costs too much. Automotive diesels might last longer than gasoline engines, I'm not sure, but either one will last long enough nowadays for the car to fall apart around it. My brother's 1994 Corsica was a good example. It ran great, but the car was falling apart. How many people will keep the car that long anyway?
If VW can sell an affordable diesel car in the USA I am 100% sure Ford can as well. Not to mention diesel fuel nationwide average is lower than gas. I think there is a huge market for a diesel Ford Focus in the USA as many people like myself are hesitant to purchase a hybrid it is a fairly young technology and the cost to replace the battery is outrages. I would buy a ford focus 50MPG diesel over any hybrid.
Old 05-18-2011, 02:07 PM   #39
DJ2BIG
Focus Enthusiast

I read on some forum that Hyundai has a diesel sonata out here in the USA but they are herd to find and do not show up on there website I have no idea if its true
Old 05-18-2011, 04:12 PM   #40
dieselboy77
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 61381
What I Drive: 2013 Focus ST ST3

FF Reputation: 2 dieselboy77 Good Standing Member
I would buy one in a heartbeat, i almost bought a golf diesel but i'm still hoping for ford diesel .

Bookmarks & Social Networks