2012 owners Post your MPG's - Page 7 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-10-2011, 08:21 AM   #61
IceJava
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 85134
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 IceJava Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
It would have added more to the sticker price. Already, even on a focus enthusiast forum, people are complaining about the price and how they cannot fathom that a focus could cost $28k (after years of complaining that we don't have the euro focus). It would only had fuel to the fire to add another few thousand on top for the diesel engine.

Like Mysticbluebmw said, baby steps. Once people become comfortable with the new focus and price, then maybe they can start introducing new engines that cost a little more.

Btw, for reference, the 2012 focus, using Imperial Miles on the Canadian test cycle (which is closer to the older US test cycle, and also closer to the UK test cycle), gets 58MPG (again, Imperial), on the highway. That should give you a frame of reference, since that same car is rated 40MPG on the US cycle in US Gallons.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2011, 05:26 PM   #62
LAMBRUSKI
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 84788
What I Drive: 2012, red, focus

FF Reputation: 1 LAMBRUSKI Good Standing Member
I just filled up. Mileage figured out to 35.9 mpg. I have a hatch with manual trans, grille shutters and about 700 miles on the clock. My driving is about 70% highway and I don't normally hit it too hard. The trip computer showed 36.0 mpg since the previous fillup so it seems to be pretty accurate. I don't think I'll have any trouble getting 40 mpg on a long trip once the engine gets a few miles on it.
Old 05-10-2011, 10:53 PM   #63
voipguy
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85222
What I Drive: 2012 S.Grey SE Spt,4dr,Wint,MR,6sp

FF Reputation: 1 voipguy Good Standing Member
So LAMBRUSKI, would you say you are going 445 miles on a full tank of gas?
Are you seeing from the pump that it takes 12.4 gallons to fill up?

Thanks
Old 05-11-2011, 04:30 AM   #64
Targon
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 81074
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SEL 5-door

FF Reputation: 2 Targon Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by lampcord View Post
Even taking that into account, 59 mpg (EUROPE) => 50 (US) which is still 13 mpg better than our Focus.

Is our government really telling Ford they can't sell higher MPG cars here?
I find that very hard to believe but if true, it really sucks. I thought Obama was a greenie.
We have that CRAP known as Ethanol added to our gas, remember? I don't think they use Ethanol in the gas in Europe, so of course their gas is going to be better.
Old 05-11-2011, 05:01 AM   #65
Targon
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 81074
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SEL 5-door

FF Reputation: 2 Targon Good Standing Member
The problem is that the name Ford Focus in the USA does not have a reputation as a GREAT car. As a result, many people here don't think of the Focus as a car that SHOULD cost even $22,000.

Now, if you don't load a car up with every available option, the $23,000 price tag on the Titanium gives you quite a few features for the price, and many can accept that. They just start to complain when there is an overlap in the price of a compact car and the price of a larger vehicle.

That's the real key, you can get a Fiesta for $19,000 that has a ton of features, or you can get a Focus SE for less that doesn't have as many features but has a more powerful engine and is larger. You have to decide for yourself what you want.

The real cutoff for most people on the 2012 Focus hits at around $25,000 because you can find larger cars at that price range that also have a more powerful engine. The ST will have a 248 horsepower engine, so if THAT comes in at $27,000 or $28,000, people will bit a bit more accepting due to the engine upgrade, but they don't think that with park assist, navigation, moon roof(which many people want and don't use or care about once they have it), etc that the price should go up all that much.

People also clearly don't think, because you would not believe the number of Focus SEs that are out there with a price upwards of $22,000 with automatic, and even without the sport package. Dealers ordered the SE with a ton of extra features when a SEL would make more sense. How about a Focus SEL that has the MyFord Touch package added? On the sticker, the 301A package adds $995 to the price. With Red Candy color(for a direct comparison), a 5-door SEL with 301A comes to $23,180. The Titanium is $23,885. So, SEL with JUST the MyFord Touch & Sony package is only $705 less, but you don't get all the features of the Titanium, and for $705, the Titanium makes a lot more sense.

I can see a SE with MANUAL transmission with a bunch of options, since you can't get a SEL with manual transmission over here, or a SEL with Premium package but without the MyFord Touch for those who are being selective about what they get for their money, but for those who go for a FULLY loaded car, why shouldn't it cost more for ALL of those extra features? Navigation, Winter Package, Park Assist, Premium Package, Moon Roof, plus the little things like cargo nets and extra protection features, why wouldn't all of those add up to $5000?
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceJava View Post
It would have added more to the sticker price. Already, even on a focus enthusiast forum, people are complaining about the price and how they cannot fathom that a focus could cost $28k (after years of complaining that we don't have the euro focus). It would only had fuel to the fire to add another few thousand on top for the diesel engine.

Like Mysticbluebmw said, baby steps. Once people become comfortable with the new focus and price, then maybe they can start introducing new engines that cost a little more.

Btw, for reference, the 2012 focus, using Imperial Miles on the Canadian test cycle (which is closer to the older US test cycle, and also closer to the UK test cycle), gets 58MPG (again, Imperial), on the highway. That should give you a frame of reference, since that same car is rated 40MPG on the US cycle in US Gallons.
Old 05-11-2011, 10:40 AM   #66
LAMBRUSKI
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 84788
What I Drive: 2012, red, focus

FF Reputation: 1 LAMBRUSKI Good Standing Member
Voipguy, the gas gauge was getting near 'E' when I filled up. It took 10.3 gallons. I had driven 370 miles on that tank. The trip computer said I still had 65miles till empty, but I didn't quite trust its accuracy yet. It should be no problem to get over 400 miles on a fill up. The trip computer seems to be surprisingly accurate in my car.
Everything about this car seems to be flawless. I've pretty much gone over it with a fine tooth comb and can't find any problems. Michigan Assembly and everyone else who contributed should be commended.
Vinnie
Old 05-12-2011, 02:12 PM   #67
GhiaFan
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 50498
What I Drive: 2007 Panther Black Focus 1.6 Ti-VCT

FF Reputation: 11 GhiaFan Great Standing Member
Posted on Ford Focus Facebook page........

Popular Mechanics, ran a real-world comparo with 5 cars, including new Focus. Results are interesting, with Focus sedan (38.6 mpg) second only to a diesel Jetta (40.4 mpg) but ahead of Chevy Cruze (36.7), Fiat 500 (34.6) and well ahead of the Hyundai Elentra (32.3)!! Love that! -- Mark Schirmer, Ford Communications
Old 05-12-2011, 03:37 PM   #68
RiskySeven
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 85101
What I Drive: 2012 SEL 5dr 303A Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 1 RiskySeven Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiskySeven View Post
By digital readout: 33.2mpg

- Average over full tank of gas
- 1100 Miles
- 42 mile daily commute, 2/3 highway, 1 day had horrid stop/go traffic one way
- Took it pretty easy...a full throttle blast or two on entrance ramps...definitely takes a hit there!

Gonna take another average doing everything reasonable (?) to improve mileage...I'll post after this tank. My guess is 38mpg best I can do.
Next tank by digital readout (was reset at fillup...just like last time): 37.2mpg
- 15XX miles on car
- same commute as above but more A/c (it's getting warmer...probably on 1/2 the time)
- CC set at 54mph the entire highway time
- Probably close to 100 miles w/ wife and 2 toddlers in the car
- 40psi in tires (35psi on last tank...door sill spec)
- Shifted in to N on all off ramps/down hills. MAKES BIG DIFFERENCE!
- Took it very easy...no full throttle.

cheers.
Old 05-12-2011, 03:41 PM   #69
RiskySeven
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 85101
What I Drive: 2012 SEL 5dr 303A Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 1 RiskySeven Good Standing Member
Oh, regarding the accuracy of the 'X Miles to E'......I pushed mine to 5 miles to E. I didn't have to walk...made it to the station.
Old 05-12-2011, 04:35 PM   #70
2012silversel
Focus Addict

Fan#: 83969
What I Drive: 2014 C-Max Energi, Sterling Gray

FF Reputation: 1 2012silversel Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiskySeven View Post
Oh, regarding the accuracy of the 'X Miles to E'......I pushed mine to 5 miles to E. I didn't have to walk...made it to the station.
How many gallons did it take?

Bookmarks & Social Networks