Would you buy a FORD FOCUS DIESEL? - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

View Poll Results: Would you buy a FORD FOCUS DIESEL with 50 MPG at $25,000
YES 92 68.15%
NO 20 14.81%
Maybe 23 17.04%
Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-09-2011, 03:14 PM   #1
DJ2BIG
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 49192
What I Drive: 2012 Winter Frost SE

FF Reputation: -6 DJ2BIG Poor Behavior Needs Improvement
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Would you buy a FORD FOCUS DIESEL?

Ford has introduced a diesel-powered Focus in Europe, called ECOnetic, that gets a claimed 80 mpg. It uses technology such as engine stop/start, low-rolling-resistance tires, brake regeneration and active grille shutters to get that number.

Under the hood is a turbocharged 1.6-liter diesel, mated to a six-speed manual transmission. The engine is rated at 105 hp.

Of course, there are a few asterisks.

First, that fuel-economy number is calculated using imperial gallons, which are 20 percent larger than U.S. gallons.

And the fuel economy is calculated using the British test standard, which has virtually no relation to the method the EPA uses to calculate mileage for U.S. cars.

If we did run the Focus ECOnetic through the U.S. test, the result would likely be fuel economy in the high 40s or low 50s--about two-thirds the U.K. rating.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2011, 03:22 PM   #2
Maddog78
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85319
What I Drive: 2005 Black 911

FF Reputation: 2 Maddog78 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
No, not at this time.

I rode in a few diesel cars (VW, BMW) in Europe that were pretty sweet but I wouldn't buy one here.
Old 05-09-2011, 03:24 PM   #3
DJ2BIG
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 49192
What I Drive: 2012 Winter Frost SE

FF Reputation: -6 DJ2BIG Poor Behavior Needs Improvement
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I test drove the VW Jetta back in 2009 not a bad car but I am not a VW fan
Old 05-09-2011, 03:27 PM   #4
JCH841
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 79303
What I Drive: 2013 Blue ST3

FF Reputation: 3 JCH841 Good Standing Member
I work with large (ship) diesels, so I'm okay with the whole smell and light clatter thing. (You should hear a V-16 turbo with 1040 cubic inches per cylinder!) We just don't have any good choices. I don't need the rest of a 3/4 ton pickup truck (tires, taxes, parking, etc.) badly enough to get a diesel truck. The VW is nice until you have to change the timing belt for $500+. Mercedes cost big bucks and you need to pee in them (add urea) every oil change. Finally, our refineries are biased to make gasoline, so we get less diesel and it costs more. (European refinery designs are biased towards fuel oil.) Still, a good practical 2 liter diesel with timing gears or chains that didn't need emissions fluid would be a nice alternative.
Old 05-09-2011, 03:41 PM   #5
Fattie
Focus Addict

Fan#: 46016
What I Drive: 6 Duratec Focus

FF Reputation: 5 Fattie Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
yes , idk why we dont have em yet.

3 04 zx4's
2 05 zx3's
1 03 zx3
Old 05-09-2011, 03:46 PM   #6
lampcord
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 85224
What I Drive: 2012 SEL Kona Blue Metalic (soon)

FF Reputation: 1 lampcord Good Standing Member
Around here (Minnesota) diesel costs about 5.5% more than unleaded. So the car would have to get at least 5.5% better mileage for me to even consider it.

Then you have to factor things in like scarcity. Most gas stations around here have 8-12 pumps but only 1 or 2 diesel and sometimes not even that many.

So I think I'd need about 10% better mileage before I'd consider it.
Old 05-09-2011, 04:01 PM   #7
Z_interactive
Focus Addict

Fan#: 69219
What I Drive: 2007 blue 1.6

FF Reputation: 2 Z_interactive Good Standing Member
If I need MPG's I would buy Fiesta which gets 65 MPG (US).

Fiesta Econetic
Old 05-09-2011, 04:30 PM   #8
Darthenstein
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 63587
What I Drive: 2009 Ford Focus SES

FF Reputation: 4 Darthenstein Good Standing Member
I think it is a great idea to explore diesel options here in the US. The problem that I hear from MANY over the road truckers and diesel car owners is that the EPA is making it too difficult to get a diesel car on the road. They are making too stringent of regulations that make it impossible to mass produce a diesel engine profitably; as well as their emissions equipment hinders gas mileage tremendously. My cousin just ripped all of the emissions equipment off of his over the road truck to go from 5 mpg to 7 mpg!

I think that another diesel car option in the US is a great opportunity to advance engine and car technology.

Ford: Taurus ('91, 01) Focus ('09); Mercury: Sable ('95); Dodge: Neon ('95); Trek: 1000SL ('07) Yamaha: VStar 650 ('03)
Old 05-09-2011, 04:41 PM   #9
CD/SFE
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85148
What I Drive: '12 Focus SEL, White Platinum Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 CD/SFE Good Standing Member
My neighbor is an aircraft mechanic and says the real problem getting diesels here is the low-sulphur diesel. It apparently is raising the operating temps of the motors so high that they are "burning out" in short order. Also mentioned that Caterpillar was saying they were getting out of the diesel motor business because the low-sulphur diesel has wrecked the longevity they used to get out of their motors. Anyone else hear anything like this?
Old 05-09-2011, 05:13 PM   #10
ted429
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 84025
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus Tit. Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 ted429 Good Standing Member
You would never get a focus diesel at 25,000. To add a diesel power train you need to add 5000 at least. The reason europe has them is because diesel fuel is subsidized by the government and you can get some of the 5k back.

Bookmarks & Social Networks