How many People with the SPI had a Valve Seat Failure? - Page 3 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus First Generation > SPI Performance (2000-2004)

SPI Performance (2000-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L Split Port Injection engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-24-2011, 12:25 AM   #21
Focus7081
Focus Addict

Fan#: 83591
What I Drive: 2003 Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 1 Focus7081 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_2000_se View Post
#4 at just under 115k miles after a tank of Lucus top end valve cleaner. Dropped after an over night cold start in the driveway in February.

Just under 30k miles later still running it up to 5k rpm during hill climbs through the mountains for 10+ minutes at a time. Pushing my luck? - we'll see........

Maybe the AERA spec re-manufactured head is the lucky charm....... (It showed signs of dropping #2 when I got it).

don't be the jinx for me please.....lol
#2 went on mine @ 99k. At 119k not sure which went I just put a zetec in and called it.
-Was a member of the "#2 dropped valve seat" club...Twice! Now a SPI->Zetec club member.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2011, 07:47 PM   #22
TeamZetec
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 84603
What I Drive: 2000 Focus SE Zetec

FF Reputation: 1 TeamZetec Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacinJasonWV View Post
Car #1 2000 (9/1999 build date I think) manual, went in August with 196,000. Cylinder #4 Intake. Dropped while downshifting and driving easily. I have had it for 100k and take great care of it. Just finished dropping in a donor SPI a month ago.

Car # 2 2000 (01/2000 build date) automatic, went last week, 119,000. It was my temporary replacement for car #1 :( Cylinder #2 Intake. Ran fine when shut off at work, was bad wrong when trying to start after work.

May have enough parts between the 2 bad engines to make 1 with a new head.

Both cars ran great and had zero issues until they died.
I love the Focus but will likely be looking to get it running and sell both for either a Focus without the SPI or maybe a Matrix.
A Matrix? please tell me you are joking. Focus w/ Zetec would be your best choice. Ask any of the guys on here, the Zetecs will not die. my mom's 00 Focus Zetec sedan she has had since new and never taken care of it and still runnin strong with 152k miles is proof.
Old 04-27-2011, 11:50 AM   #23
Fourmaki
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 85251
What I Drive: 2001 Ford F150

FF Reputation: 1 Fourmaki Good Standing Member
2001 SE 120K

Number 1 exhaust let go. Cool day in southern California near sea level. Daughter drove it to school was uneventful, tried to start after 2 hours in class just wouldn’t start she said. Sounded like a starter, replaced it and no joy. Pulled the plugs and attempted to hand crank, totality seized in both directions.

Pulled the head and the dreaded DVS (Dropped Valve Seat) syndrome. I talked to the local head shop and they said “O ya we see a lot of them and we know what to do” I have used this shop before on more normal rebuilds and where fine.

My question is the piston is a bit, well a little more than a bit (a relative word I know) dinged in top. The cylinder is fine. I did oil in the cylinder overnight and no leakage. Also ran the starter and no clunk, click, tick seem to be ok.

What are the odds of being OK if I just take a dye grinder to the piston and head to remove potential hot spots? I really don’t want to do the bottom end. I was never good at bearings, plastic gage, etc. And the thought of a day or more on my back under a car in the street isn’t very pleasant.

Thank you for this sight. I had a good idea what it was even before removing the head. And the tips as a lurker where very valuable. Like the cleaning of manifolds and EGR system for other bits in there. I never would have thought of that.

Thanks again.
Old 04-27-2011, 05:49 PM   #24
TeamZetec
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourmaki View Post
2001 SE 120K

Number 1 exhaust let go. Cool day in southern California near sea level. Daughter drove it to school was uneventful, tried to start after 2 hours in class just wouldn’t start she said. Sounded like a starter, replaced it and no joy. Pulled the plugs and attempted to hand crank, totality seized in both directions.

Pulled the head and the dreaded DVS (Dropped Valve Seat) syndrome. I talked to the local head shop and they said “O ya we see a lot of them and we know what to do” I have used this shop before on more normal rebuilds and where fine.

My question is the piston is a bit, well a little more than a bit (a relative word I know) dinged in top. The cylinder is fine. I did oil in the cylinder overnight and no leakage. Also ran the starter and no clunk, click, tick seem to be ok.

What are the odds of being OK if I just take a dye grinder to the piston and head to remove potential hot spots? I really don’t want to do the bottom end. I was never good at bearings, plastic gage, etc. And the thought of a day or more on my back under a car in the street isn’t very pleasant.

Thank you for this sight. I had a good idea what it was even before removing the head. And the tips as a lurker where very valuable. Like the cleaning of manifolds and EGR system for other bits in there. I never would have thought of that.

Thanks again.
Dropping a valve seat on cylinder one isnt common...in fact ive never heard of it. its most commonly cylinder 2 or 4.

My 02 Focus w/ 154k miles dropped exhaust valve seat on cylinder 2 and it mashed up the piston just as yours did. I was just gonna get a new head and leave the mashed up piston there. My cylinder wall is also fine no scratches or scars (surprisingly).

I talked to a few mechanics who said to not leave the damaged piston there. Do not dye the piston. I was gonna do that but decided not to. The piston is damaged, and theres no fixing it. If I were you, I wouldnt even be concerned about the piston at this point. Think of what that seat dropping in the cylinder may have done to the connecting rod or crankshaft. It chipped the hell out of the piston and head, and all the stress from that went on the connecting rod and possibly crankshaft. Most of the times when these valve seats drop, it damages the piston rod and sometimes even bends the crankshaft. I decided after pricing things and realizing how much work my motor would need that it would be best to do a Zetec swap. I suggest you do the same. It would cost the same if not less as putting in another SPI.

If you need any more info or help just message me.
Old 04-27-2011, 05:50 PM   #25
TeamZetec
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
2001 SE 120K

Thanks again.
check out my mashed up piston and head http://s1231.photobucket.com/albums/ee515/TeamZetec/
Old 04-28-2011, 01:05 AM   #26
a_2000_se
Focus Addict

Fan#: 62964
What I Drive: 2000 SE SOHC SPI, Compression @ 164

FF Reputation: 15 a_2000_se Great Standing Member
Quote:
.....My question is the piston is a bit, well a little more than a bit (a relative word I know) dinged in top. The cylinder is fine. What are the odds of being OK .....

Congrats on the cylinder wall being damage free...... The piston definitely needs to be replaced at a minimum.

Most likely the lands on the outer edge of the piston have collapsed and 'pinched' the top ring so it no longer 'floats/rotates' around the piston. It will just be a matter of time before you loose compression in that cylinder.
Replaced #4 Piston, Rings, Rod+Bearings, AERA Re-Manufactured Cylinder Head and a light Hone. Then CLEANED the hell out of everything.
60k+ miles.
Old 04-28-2011, 02:44 AM   #27
Fourmaki
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 85251
What I Drive: 2001 Ford F150

FF Reputation: 1 Fourmaki Good Standing Member
I have to do the the works. I scribed a line on #1 and #4 the damaged #1 saw a slight twist running via the starter. I put a blob of clay and made a pointer up and over a foot out of pipe cleaners and about a 2 degree of twist. Thank goodness for high school trig. So a bent rod at the least.

My only concern now has any one done the bottom end namely bearing installation that should be done on a stand in almost a clean room? Can it be done laying on your back under the car? I have done a full rebuild several times on a stand. I really don't want to yank the hole thing out of there. This would be my first side ways engine removal.

It is my daughters run around town car. A thousand dollars in parts. Head job, pistons, rings, rods, etc, etc and while you are in there water pump, belt adjusters, belts. in a 2000 dollar car. May be time to call the junk yard. I don't know. Shucks I thought it was a 150 buck starter.
Old 05-02-2011, 09:51 PM   #28
wangbungal
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 85427
What I Drive: 2002 ford focus 2.0 sohc

FF Reputation: 1 wangbungal Good Standing Member
hello everyone,im new here hope im welcome,

i just want to share what happened to my 2.0 spi sohc engine,happened at 148000 miles here on miami florida,normal sunny day,82F weather last tuesday.
the valve seat dropped on cylinder 2,its so bad, it pierce the cylinder wall and created a big hole,i was told by the mechanic,none of the intake and exhaust manifolds and cylinder head and block can be recovered as it is so damage,pieces might be trap on those,coz me coz me 1600 for a rebuild engine,

I just want to ask, this event could have cause by me by neglect?
I always change oil,add coolant,timing belt been replace and coolant,it never overheated,im lost on this one.
Old 05-02-2011, 11:06 PM   #29
blackonblacksvt03
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 80038
What I Drive: 2003 pitch black SVT 3D

FF Reputation: 2 blackonblacksvt03 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
all spi = junk
Old 05-02-2011, 11:37 PM   #30
Focus7081
Focus Addict

Fan#: 83591
What I Drive: 2003 Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 1 Focus7081 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by wangbungal View Post
hello everyone,im new here hope im welcome,

i just want to share what happened to my 2.0 spi sohc engine,happened at 148000 miles here on miami florida,normal sunny day,82F weather last tuesday.
the valve seat dropped on cylinder 2,its so bad, it pierce the cylinder wall and created a big hole,i was told by the mechanic,none of the intake and exhaust manifolds and cylinder head and block can be recovered as it is so damage,pieces might be trap on those,coz me coz me 1600 for a rebuild engine, (I did the zetec swap for MUCH less!)

I just want to ask, this event could have cause by me by neglect? (No)I always change oil,add coolant,timing belt been replace and coolant,it never overheated,im lost on this one. (doesn't matter)
Replied above in bold

Grab a cold one and read my thread.
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=252790
-Was a member of the "#2 dropped valve seat" club...Twice! Now a SPI->Zetec club member.

Bookmarks & Social Networks