Introducing the All-New Ford Focus Electric - Page 6 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus Electric

MK3 Focus Electric The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the MK3 all-electric Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-21-2011, 02:49 PM   #51
bowy22
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 85105
What I Drive: 2002 Camaro Black

FF Reputation: 1 bowy22 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I don't have trust in those electric cars. Do you know why? It's because they are not suited for long term travel., only for the city...plus, the batteries are very expensive it's hard to get them
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2011, 09:21 PM   #52
Charged Up
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 85162
What I Drive: 2011 Chevy Volt

FF Reputation: 1 Charged Up Good Standing Member
Focus Electric not for everyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowy22 View Post
I don't have trust in those electric cars. Do you know why? It's because they are not suited for long term travel., only for the city...plus, the batteries are very expensive it's hard to get them
You are right. If you have to travel more than 100 miles without a recharge then obviously this is not the car for you. But for most people their daily commute is less than 50 miles a day.

So if you have a car capable of 100 miles you could drive gas free everyday. Add the capability to charge at work as many have done and maybe you double your commute range to 200 miles.

As for buying a battery, Ford has warrantied the battery for 8yr/100k so that is not something you would have to do for at least that time frame. And it is very likely that batteries in 8 years will be more powerful, lighter, and less expensive.

The battery for the Volt has dropped from 12k to 8k in one year.
Old 04-24-2011, 10:23 AM   #53
Charged Up
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 85162
What I Drive: 2011 Chevy Volt

FF Reputation: 1 Charged Up Good Standing Member
EVs too expensive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodaboy View Post
I don't see how you would be saving money. What you save by not going to the pump you will be spending on your electric bill. Unless Electricity becomes free of charge this isn't going to save anyone any money.
Actually because electric motors are cheaper, and the distribution of electrons is very economical you actually can save money over the life of the EV.

Please see this post for more details:

http://fordfocuselectric.com/forums/...b2&t=176&p=335
Old 05-07-2011, 11:18 AM   #54
scootny
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 24548
What I Drive: 2004 Sonic Blue SVT ZX5, 1995 SHO

FF Reputation: 1 scootny Good Standing Member
Until coal, oil, and gas burning power plants are replaced by no carbon releasing ones you are just moving greenhouse gas from the tailpipe to the smokestack. Not the big green victory that many people expect from an electric car. Would work for France though. They have the cleanest air in the industrialized world. Why? Nuclear power. It's carbon free.
Old 05-18-2011, 09:06 PM   #55
kwaidonjin
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 84388
What I Drive: 2011 Blue SEL, 2003 Black SPI

FF Reputation: 1 kwaidonjin Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charged Up View Post
You are right. If you have to travel more than 100 miles without a recharge then obviously this is not the car for you. But for most people their daily commute is less than 50 miles a day.

So if you have a car capable of 100 miles you could drive gas free everyday. Add the capability to charge at work as many have done and maybe you double your commute range to 200 miles.

As for buying a battery, Ford has warrantied the battery for 8yr/100k so that is not something you would have to do for at least that time frame. And it is very likely that batteries in 8 years will be more powerful, lighter, and less expensive.

The battery for the Volt has dropped from 12k to 8k in one year.
This is going to be amazing technology in about 5-7 yrs. We need a colossal leap in battery technology. I would buy electric, if it would do 150 miles on a charge.
Old 05-20-2011, 04:28 PM   #56
decosfocus
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 83790
What I Drive: 2007 blacked out focus st

FF Reputation: 1 decosfocus Good Standing Member
prob just for the lay out look most cars do it
Old 05-27-2011, 08:53 AM   #57
redav
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86142
What I Drive: 2002, Yellow Mazda

FF Reputation: 1 redav Good Standing Member
This car would work very well for me, but I hate not knowing when it will be available and how much it will cost. If I can't plan & budget for it, it's almost better not to know about it.

My commute is only ~6 mi each way. The weather doesn't get very cold here, and the worst climbing involves overpasses. With a little bit of planning, this car would probably satisfy 90%+ of my driving needs.

After working out the $$, it seems that running on electricity would cost ~1/3 of gas. While that's great, I just don't drive enough (and my gas bill isn't high enough) to recoup the cost of an expensive car. (This may be an inherent flaw of electrics--there's a limit to how many miles you can drive because of the battery limitations & the difficulties of recharging.) If (with rebates) this were to cost about the same as a Focus Ti, I probably would get it. But if it is like a Volt (~$33k after rebates), I don't think I could justify it.
Old 06-13-2011, 05:38 PM   #58
mattspencer
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 86721
What I Drive: 2003 Silver ZTS

FF Reputation: 1 mattspencer Good Standing Member
This car would work very well for a two car family. One being an EV, the other a hybrid or traditional gas car. If you already only have one car, then this isn't going to work well for you. If you only have one car (and can really only afford one car) then I think a motorcycle would probably be a better option for you. Plenty of motorcycles get 50+ mpgs, and they can be very quick and fun to drive. Plus they can cost as little as $3k.
Old 06-25-2011, 02:14 PM   #59
DonRamon
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 39646
What I Drive: Focus ZX3 2002

FF Reputation: 1 DonRamon Good Standing Member
i dont see it saying what the range is
Old 06-29-2011, 12:23 PM   #60
kwaidonjin
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 84388
What I Drive: 2011 Blue SEL, 2003 Black SPI

FF Reputation: 1 kwaidonjin Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattspencer View Post
This car would work very well for a two car family. One being an EV, the other a hybrid or traditional gas car. If you already only have one car, then this isn't going to work well for you. If you only have one car (and can really only afford one car) then I think a motorcycle would probably be a better option for you. Plenty of motorcycles get 50+ mpgs, and they can be very quick and fun to drive. Plus they can cost as little as $3k.
I have a Honda Reflex 250cc scooter that gets almost 70 MPG. ANd it will do over 70 MPH.

Bookmarks & Social Networks