Most bang for the buck modifications? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus First Generation > ZETEC Performance (2000-2004)

ZETEC Performance (2000-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-22-2011, 02:27 AM   #1
bay_wolf
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 79215
What I Drive: 2002 White Wagon

FF Reputation: 2 bay_wolf Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
Most bang for the buck modifications?

I realize there are a thousand threads like this and I've read them all but would like to hear your opinions. I'm on a budget (which can change anytime lol) and am willing to save up for a while for some modifications if they are worth it more then others. So, I'm curious what your opinions are of the best bang for the buck modifications? I'd like to see a list from like 1-5 or something. I've heard teh SVT header conversion is the best bang for the buck so far besides a turbo (not wanting to do that unless there is one around the $2000 mark which seems doubtful).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2011, 03:45 AM   #2
GO.army.1969
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 69605
What I Drive: 2008 Vapor Silver Coupe 5 speed

FF Reputation: 15 GO.army.1969 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
The most power for your buck would be NOS.
NW Posse#10 Team Duratec#69
F2 Header, Steath Exhaust, CAI, AR103, Tuned by Randy Fswerks, DGR Coil Overs
DOMINANT front and rear LCA DOMINANT endlinks Massive toe and camber arms
Old 04-22-2011, 10:29 AM   #3
mlbbaseball
Shot me 3 deer!!!

Fan#: 53541
What I Drive: 01 zx3 s2 x2, 02 SVT, Jeep Cherokee

FF Reputation: 42 mlbbaseball Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (69)
a JRSC, u can pick them up for 12-1400 and will put you at 180 whp or more

2004 SVT EAP partout, PM me with needs.
Old 04-22-2011, 11:14 AM   #4
bay_wolf
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by GO.army.1969 View Post
The most power for your buck would be NOS.
I'd rather not go with NOS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlbbaseball View Post
a JRSC, u can pick them up for 12-1400 and will put you at 180 whp or more
Hmmm... Which brand do you recommend or are they all pretty much the same? Also, is there anything around the $500 range that would give similar performance. I haven't landed on a budget yet but I'm curious about the performance gains difference between a $500 budget and a $1200.

Thanks!
Old 04-22-2011, 11:32 AM   #5
TLFerrill
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 38135
What I Drive: 2001 white zx3

FF Reputation: 1 TLFerrill Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
JRSC is jackson racing supercharger. It is the more mild (thusly cheapest) supercharger available for zetecs. you could find one used for the above mentioned price and while it doesnt put down as much power as powerworks or some of the other high end kits it does provide a nice performance boost for a nice price.
Old 04-22-2011, 12:54 PM   #6
mlbbaseball
Shot me 3 deer!!!

a JRSC will cost u a full 2k after tuning unless you get the base kit w/ the black box. then it will put you in the 160 range for 1200.

YOU WILL NOT reach 160 for under 1200 bucks any other way than Nitrous or a JRSC. hands down end of story.

Old 04-22-2011, 02:27 PM   #7
bay_wolf
Focus Enthusiast

Another question, do you think a tune would be a good first step instead of an intake or header swap?

EDIT: What I'm really wanting to knwo is I have $1000 to spend on upgrades and to make it more responsive, powerful, and handle better what should I get done. (this budget may not be here in a month or two but I'm just planning right now). I've read about ever thread I can imagine about performance upgrades for the car but am still confused.

So, with a $1000 budget what do you think would be the best performance mods. (I will buy used as I don't care about that)
Old 04-22-2011, 02:35 PM   #8
mlbbaseball
Shot me 3 deer!!!

a tune is always a good mod, however, may not be needed if ur 100% stock. once you start modding, you will need to start tuning!

Old 04-30-2011, 02:58 AM   #9
monkeyscribble
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 81538
What I Drive: 2002 Ford Focus XZ3

FF Reputation: 1 monkeyscribble Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
What does tuning all entail?
Old 04-30-2011, 03:08 AM   #10
focusmaniaczx3
I need BOOOOST!!!!!!

Fan#: 55157
What I Drive: zx3 turbo, kia soul, 71 chevy c/10

FF Reputation: 35 focusmaniaczx3 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
purchasing an x calibrator 2 or 3 and picking a tuner. you also would need a laptop and cables to connect from xcal to laptop to datalog so your tuner can see what he is working with. it also helps alot to have a wideband air/fuel ratio gauge so the tuner can use the input from that to further tune your car. using a flasher in combination with datalogging is the same thing as getting a dyno tune except the road is your dyno and the tuner can be on the other side of the world and tune your car.

tuners to choose from

focus-power
FSWERKS
top speed

those are really the only three worth mentioning that do the job for a decent price and do the job well. tom (1turbofocus) from focus-power is the guy i do business with because he gives free updates. say your car is stock now but you plan on adding boost (turbo, nitrous, supercharger) in the future. pay for the boost tune, which is more expensive, right now and he will tune your stock car. add more mods and he will re-tune it for nothing. finally put boost to it and once again he updates the tune for free. it is cheaper for a naturally aspired tune but if you boost in the future you have to pay for the tune again. all the other tuners out there charge to update a tune unless they are the ones that screwed it up in the first place.

if you have an automatic or SVT focus that is stock then a tune will make quite a noticeable difference. if it is a stock standard focus with manual tranny then you may not notice anything at all.

with the flasher you arent limited to just loading tunes into your ecu. it gives you the ability to read DTC's (check engine light codes) and clear them, you can tweak spark timing, what temp the cooling fans kick on, calibrate your speedo for different size tires, adjust the rev limiter, adjust the speed limiter anywhere from like 25mph all the way to taking it away all together if you want, you can adjust fuel trims to a degree as well as many other things that im sure im forgetting about. a flasher is a very nice tool to have around. and you can use it to read DTC's on pretty much any ford and mercury. i personally have used it on a mercury cougar, ford ranger, mustang, and f-150.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1turbofocus
I love this big little city HOOTERS !
Every time you drink a beer somewhere an ugly woman becomes beautiful, so get to it!

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->