High Performance 2012 Ford Focus ST - Page 68 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus ST > Focus ST

Focus ST The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the MK3 2013-Current Focus ST.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-07-2011, 08:43 PM   #671
DrkKnight614
GO Green

Fan#: 14522
What I Drive: 2003 2.0L Grabber Green Zx3

FF Reputation: 47 DrkKnight614 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheeseEater88 View Post
I would wager the ST will weigh in less than the Colbalt SS.... The LT that I own is almost 3K lbs. Its like 2.9K and change....

IMO the colbalt lacks everywhere but the powertrain.... even if it can be faster than the ST, I bet more ear to ear grining would be had in the ST.

and all bets are off to what will be faster when the aftermarket will get a hold of the ST...

Its a global car, and the even more redily available 2.0L will be in everything from small cars to trucks... with the economy of scale that will generate it will be hard not to find upgrades. That and the fact that its nearly the same as the outgoing duratec just a different head and some other cool goodies.

I also wish for a 5 speed in the ST as well... but meh... if they make it stronger than the getrags in the past I can live. MTX-75 FTMFW.

Also, with ford putting out the focus as some sort of front runner for the new era they will without a doubt offer way more Ford Racing Parts for the focus than they have in the past.... OEM racing parts which are often 50 state legal are more than worth the price for admission....

Posted via FF Mobile Agreed, FRPP used to have a big selection for the focus, but I feel that with this next generation we are going to see that same huge world of aftermarket open up again...maybe even a bigger world.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2011, 01:39 AM   #672
firelink74
Focus Addict

Fan#: 58474
What I Drive: 2001 silver se

FF Reputation: 1 firelink74 Good Standing Member
i want this
Old 03-08-2011, 07:17 AM   #673
fast07st
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 54363
What I Drive: 07 Red Focus ST, 93 Stang, 68 Stang

FF Reputation: 2 fast07st Good Standing Member
that's the problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotAnSES View Post
I have to agree with your description there. Do you think the ST would be worth the cost though? Theyre saying it will be up to $28,000. I could get a V-8 Mustang with that and be fast N/A without mods.
That is the problem for any serious Ford 4 cyl performance car....
Including the new ST!

I remember a lot of Europeans making fun of our perfromance versions of the Focus SVT & then Focus ST saying how inferior they were to their models...
which was true, but...

The moment that their models came to N.A. everyone would like to have them, but for the price point... most will rather go w/ the option of a much better performing cars (Mustang/Camaros/Vette, etc)... w/ a V8, better & lasting re-sale value and classic heritage.

Don't get me wrong! I like the new Focus... and love the idea of the new Focus ST and even though it will beat my 93 5.0 Stang... I have no plans to sell it and buy a ST... I would trade in my 07 ST for it though - but it would be just my dd.
Old 03-08-2011, 08:10 AM   #674
suterp
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 83384
What I Drive: 2013 red focus SE 5 speed

FF Reputation: 1 suterp Good Standing Member
I think you folks expecting it to be priced down with the MS3 and GTI are going to be disappointed. The ecoboost engine alone is going to demand a higher price this thing is the latest and greatest and should give the ST the speed of the MS3 with the gas mileage and livable powerband of the GTI while running on regular gas. The 2011 F-150 with ecoboost V6 is priced higher than the 5.0 V8 that should tell you what Ford thinks of these new engines and what they are worth. Not to mention the interior of the ST is going to be well above the MS3.

Comparing a turbo4 focus to a V-8 mustang is apples and oranges. If you are looking for a drag racer you shouldn't be looking at an ST, and if you are looking for a light, nimble, fuel efficient vehicle you won't be looking at the 5.0 Stang.
Old 03-08-2011, 08:21 AM   #675
suterp
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 83384
What I Drive: 2013 red focus SE 5 speed

FF Reputation: 1 suterp Good Standing Member
I think you folks expecting it to be priced down with the MS3 and GTI are going to be disappointed. The ecoboost engine alone is going to demand a higher price this thing is the latest and greatest and should give the ST the speed of the MS3 with the gas mileage and livable powerband of the GTI while running on regular gas. The 2011 F-150 with ecoboost V6 is priced higher than the 5.0 V8 that should tell you what Ford thinks of these new engines and what they are worth. Not to mention the interior of the ST is going to be well above the MS3.
Old 03-08-2011, 08:55 AM   #676
DrkKnight614
GO Green

Fan#: 14522
What I Drive: 2003 2.0L Grabber Green Zx3

FF Reputation: 47 DrkKnight614 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by fast07st View Post
That is the problem for any serious Ford 4 cyl performance car....
Including the new ST!

I remember a lot of Europeans making fun of our perfromance versions of the Focus SVT & then Focus ST saying how inferior they were to their models...
which was true, but...

The moment that their models came to N.A. everyone would like to have them, but for the price point... most will rather go w/ the option of a much better performing cars (Mustang/Camaros/Vette, etc)... w/ a V8, better & lasting re-sale value and classic heritage.

Don't get me wrong! I like the new Focus... and love the idea of the new Focus ST and even though it will beat my 93 5.0 Stang... I have no plans to sell it and buy a ST... I would trade in my 07 ST for it though - but it would be just my dd.

Posted via FF Mobile They made fun of our SVT? Strange, they must of been retarded because the svt was the same as their st170...oh but actually ours was better because it looked better and we got HIDs too.
Old 03-08-2011, 09:26 AM   #677
Smills
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 79668
What I Drive: Nothing

FF Reputation: 1 Smills Good Standing Member
Quote:
My scanner is not working but hopefully it will help. Click the zoom button.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/26726289@N08/5507137740/
Hmm, that article says "six-speed manual or Ford's new six-speed dual clutch automatic". Hasn't Ford stated several times that there will only be a manual option?
Old 03-08-2011, 10:03 AM   #678
mmmoose
Bunneh Fanatic

Fan#: 39963
What I Drive: 2008 United Gray VW Rabbit

FF Reputation: 9 mmmoose Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smills View Post
Hmm, that article says "six-speed manual or Ford's new six-speed dual clutch automatic". Hasn't Ford stated several times that there will only be a manual option?
It's an error. It's only offered in manual (at least for the first version). One of the limitations of any dry dual-clutch transmission is that it has horsepower/torque restrictions. Ford's PowerShift transmission isn't designed to handle that sort of power in its current form.

Other companies offer dual-clutch transmissions on their performance trims because they use a wet system. Despite being a little higher maintenance (and more expensive) they do have the added benefit of being able to handle more horsepower/torque.

In time I think they'll eventually be able to improve PowerShift for performance model cars without having to resort to the wet system. This would be the most ideal setup since it would cost everyone less money and require less maintenance.
Old 03-08-2011, 11:02 AM   #679
NotAnSES
Focus Addict

Fan#: 77951
What I Drive: 2013 PB Focus ST

FF Reputation: 1 NotAnSES Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheeseEater88 View Post
I also wish for a 5 speed in the ST as well... but meh... if they make it stronger than the getrags in the past I can live. MTX-75 FTMFW.
I was actually disappointed that my 06 ST doesnt have the Getrag 6-speed. Whenever im driving on the highway in 5th gear it seems like its begging me to change gears again, but cant lol I have driven my buddys SVT, and I actually like Getrag better, the feel is better being a shorter throw, and theyre pretty durable I've heard. That was a mistake not putting the Getrag in the 05-07 ST's IMO if they were trying to replicate the SVT.
ST Crew #109
2006 ZX4 ST SAP Sold!
2007 Honda Civic Si----Sold.. :(
1995 BMW 316i Beater for Germany
2013 Focus ST!
Old 03-08-2011, 08:18 PM   #680
tallguy2.3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 79885
What I Drive: 2005 Infra-red Focus ST

FF Reputation: 1 tallguy2.3 Good Standing Member
You can get a GTI for over 30k with enough options, so talk of a hot hatch costing too much at 25-30k is silly. Granted, the ST will have to make a serious name for itself stateside via advertisements and magazine reviews, but people will realize that it's worth the price soon enough.

And this is ALL speculation anyway. Lets just wait and see what the price is.

Bookmarks & Social Networks